sbk92

Reaction score
In part one of Cowboys Nation's weekly draft chat with the National Football Post's Wes Bunting, he looks at the surprise picks of the first round and begins a bottom to top review of the Cowboys selections:

Cowboys Nation: Welcome back, Wes. Let's begin at the beginning of this draft. Which of Thursday's first-round picks were the biggest ''wow'' picks in your book?

Wes Bunting: Jake Locker going 8th to Tennessee. I thought that was high. The Christian Ponder pick by Minnesota at 12, though I heard that day that he was moving up. I figured he might go somewhere in the middle of the round, but not that high.

The Nick Fairley to Detroit pick, that's the one that blew the top of my head off. The idea of him playing next to Suh is devastating. You can only double-team one of them. Which one is it going to be? I think he's in a very good place. Suh will take him under his wing.

CN: Let's talk about that a little bit. When the rumors of Fairley dropping started to circulate, you said his talent was too good for him to slide far, but at the same time that his odds for success would depend on where he wound up. Is Ndamukong Suh the type of person who can lead a Nick Fairley? They're not that far apart in age.

WB: Without a doubt. Suh is from a good family. He's well grounded. He was a leader on the field. When you looked at him last year, there were no question marks about his character. I'm becoming a bit of a closet Lions fan. I met Jim Schwartz. Michael Lombardi introduced me to him when he was at the NFP and I really like what he's doing there.

CN: On the subject of Fairley, let's follow up on a similar player. When you talked about talented players who could rise or fall depending on their locker rooms, you also brought up Jimmy Smith. You mentioned Baltimore as an ideal place for him. As chance would have it, Jimmy Smith was in fact picked by the Ravens.

WB: That's a nice place for him. Baltimore needs him. They need a quality corner, plus they have size concerns on the outside. That's a small bunch of corners. Smith gives them somebody who can match up against the Calvin Johnsons and the A.J. Greens and the bigger wideouts they're going to face. Plus, he'll have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed barking in his face.

CN: Let's turn to Dallas. They had an offer from Jacksonville to move down but they stayed at 9 and took Tyron Smith. Is there anything about this pick that you can reveal, now that the draft is over?

WB: Not really. I had heard about a month before the draft, after his pro day, that he was a guy the Cowboys really liked. Then, the murmuring went quiet, and it seemed that teams came to believe he was the Cowboys' guy. I think all the late chatter about Aldon Smith and J.J. Watt was just to keep other teams from going after him.

Plus, as as offensive tackles go, he's the sexy pick. Jerry Jones wants flashier selections, and this year it seemed he felt he needed an offensive tackle. If you're going to pick one, Smith is the sexier selection, not Anthony Castonzo.

CN: Let's look at the Cowboys selections, but let's invert the order. I saw your NFC review on the NFP and you liked the Smith pick and the later picks but you had some misgivings about their second day picks. That puts you in the same boat with a sizable portion of Cowboys fans who have a lot of questions about Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray.

Let's leave those two until the end. Let's go back to round seven and Shaun Chapas, and work up. It sounds like Dallas found a starter here.

WB: There are a number of things I like with this pick. I think you've found a guy who not only starts, but could be a three-down player. If the Cowboys go to a jet package, with four receivers and one back, I could easily see Chapas being the guy, because he catches and blocks so well. Any time you get a player like that in the 7th round, you've found a great value.

CN: Let's move to Dwayne Harris, the Cowboys 6th round pick. He's another guy who got a positive initial review.

WB: He's a guy who's more quick than fast. He's not a special athlete, by any means, but he plays like a bigger receiver. He knows how to get separation. He boxes out and gets the football. He's got a real savvy about his game. I think you can play him in the slot and he can move the chains for you.

CN: I read your report on him and was reminded of Patrick Crayton, another late-round guy who would lose foot races with linebackers, but who knew how to get open, play physical football and get first downs.

WB: Actually, that's not a bad comparison. I don't know if he can be Patrick Crayton as a rookie, but I can see him growing into that role. That's not a bad comparison.

CN: If he gave Dallas Crayton-like production, he would be welcome by this team. Let's go to Josh Thomas. When Dallas picked him, I went back into the archives, because he was one of the earliest finds you mentioned in our chats, way back in October. You said, "here's a name to look for." What grabbed your attention?

WB: He didn't have a draftable grade from the national services when the season started, but when I saw one of his Buffalo game tapes, here was a guy with phenomenal physical ability compared to his competition. He just flew around the field and loved to hit.

I saw Thomas in person at the East-West Shrine Game and he had tightened up his footwork, in a good way. He was able to play guys on or off the line of scrimmage and he still liked to be physical.

CN: What can fans realistically expect from him as a rookie? What's his projected ceiling, in the best of circumstances?

WB: As a rookie? I think he's your gunner on punts, a wide cover guy on kickoffs and your 4th corner. He's a lot like the corner from SMU you got, Bryan McCann, who I liked last year, but I think Thomas can be better. If you put him wide in nickel or dime packages and slide one of the veterans into the slot, I think he could hold up out there.

CN: And in years two and three?

WB: If he adds some weight, I think he could develop into a starter for you. He's a physical guy, and he's got long arms, but he's a little narrow framed. He could put on ten pounds and be a more effective player. Buffalo doesn't have the weight program of an Alabama or a Texas.

CN: In your opinion he's got the physical skill set to play every down?

WB: Yes. He's fluid. He's got good speed. He's feisty, and he's good in re-routing with those long arms. He's not afraid to strike you.

CN: Talk about the 4th round pick, David Arkin.

WB: He's a small-school guy. He's well-coordinated. He's got some pop in his game. He was a little overrated, in my opinion. I thought there were more intriguing small-school linemen out there. He was at the East-West Shrine Game, and he didn't stand out to me.

Tomorrow: Part two, where Wes discusses those second-day Cowboys picks, the NFC East drafts and some names to consider when undrafted free agents are able to sign with teams.

sbk92

Reaction score
Wes Bunting Reviews the Cowboys' Draft, Part Two

Part two of our weekly chat with The National Football Post's Wes Bunting looks at Dallas' day two draft picks, how New York, Philadelphia and Washington drafted, and some un-drafted free agents who might interest Dallas once the new league year begins.

Cowboys Nation: There was a lot of head scratching and some outright dismay after Dallas' Friday picks. The mood dropped quite a bit for those who liked the Tyron Smith pick and it probably dropped through the floor for those who didn't like the Tyron Smith pick.

Let's talk about Bruce Carter. Your knee-jerk take on Carter is that he didn't fit well into a 3-4 as an inside backer.

Wes Bunting: Bruce Carter was one of the best linebackers I saw on tape in 2009. When he wanted to, he could thump you. Bruce Carter could smoke you at the point of attack.

What I saw this year, and I talked about this with people who saw North Carolina play a lot, was a guy who didn't seem to want to get dirty. I don't know if wanted to protect himself from injury, but I didn't see the nasty play in 2010 that I saw in 2009.

CN: Did he line up as the weak side for Carolina or the strong side?

WB: He lined up on the strong side, because he covered a lot of tight ends, and he was blowing them up. I gave him the highest grade this year for a potential starter, because he's rehabbing that knee injury, but had he come out after 2009, he would have been in the top 20 on my board.

CN: The Cowboys have already said they're moving him inside in the 3-4. Given that, let's talk about his strengths.

WB: He can flat out run. He's not the most instinctive linebacker I saw, but he can be gritty. He can play in space. He can hold up at the point of attack. He can turn and run with tight ends down the field. I heard Butch Davis compare Carter to Kenny Norton Jr. If that's the type of game Carter develops he can do it.

CN: Can he make the conversion inside? You've said he could handle tight ends at the line and cover them down the seam, but in a 3-4 you're taking on guards and fullbacks.

WB: I liked him more in a 4-3, because he's so good in pursuit and in space. But he did flash the power. He can take on bigger players. He's a very strong player. He can generate explosion when he wants to. It's up to him. In his top '09 tape, I saw a fiery, hungry player. I didn't see that level of play in 2010. I prepared a '10 report, because there was the chance that he would come out early. I'll try and find it for you.

CN: Let's go to DeMarco Murray. Every player we've covered so far has a chance to produce, but this seems the least impressive pick to you.

WB: I wasn't a big DeMarco Murray fan to begin with. My question is what he adds that Dallas lacks? You've got Tashard Choice, who's entering the last year of his contract, so he's gonna work for his next deal. Marion Barber is probably out, so Choice will work for those inside carries.

You've got Felix Jones to run the screen and draw game. Murray can add to that, but I think Jones is a more dynamic runner than DeMarco Murray. If you're giving Murray a lot of touches in space, are you costing Felix Jones those balls? Now, Murray is a better route runner than Jones. On the other hand, I don't think he's another Brian Westbrook out of the backfield.

CN: There is the argument that he's another speedy option. Felix Jones hasn't been the most durable back in the world.

WB: That's true, but Murray has had to deal with nicks and scrapes too. I guess I'm not convinced the Cowboys are getting something they don't already have.

CN: Let's talk about the NFC East. I'd like your assessments of each rival's draft. Let's begin with the Redskins.

WB: I like what they did in the later rounds with the two receivers, Niles Paul and Aldrick Robinson. I also like the Roy Helu pick. Those players give their offense some explosion.

At the top, I'm not a big Ryan Kerrigan fan. I think he's stiff and not as athletic as some of the other pass rushers in this draft. I am warming up to Jarvin Jenkins, who they took in the 2nd round. I think he can play out wide as a 5-technique.

CN: The Giants?

WB: I like their first three picks. Amukamara, Austin and Jerrell Jernigan. Amukamara and Austin can be quality starters or them and Jernigan a good 3rd option, especially with Steve Smith's health questions.

CN: The Eagles?

WB: I think they had a really up and down draft. I love the Danny Watkins pick. I think he can be a Pro Bowler at guard. But then they took Jaquan Jarrett in the 2nd. I gave him a potential starter grade, but the 2nd is high for him, in my opinion. Curtis Marsh, I really like. This would have made more sense to me if they flipped those two picks. In their late rounds, I think Brian Rolle, the linebacker from Ohio State, could be a good value for them.

CN: On the whole?

WB: I liked the Giants draft the best of this bunch, and probably the Eagles next, with the Cowboys and Redskins about even after that. With the Cowboys, I liked how they started and how they finished, but have questions about the middle of their draft.

CN: Let's frame it another way. Did any one of these teams separate itself from the others, based on this draft?

WB: No, I don't think so.

CN: Which drafts impressed you the most? During the draft, you liked the Browns picks.

WB: I did, but I sat down and looked at them again for my recap and they have a lot of boom or bust guys. Phil Taylor has big time talent, but he could be a big bust. The same for Greg Little, who they took in the 3rd round. I like the Jabaal Sheard pick, but as a whole, they could hit it big or be really disappointed.

I love what the Lions did. I think the Saints did really well. They gave up a lot for Mark Ingram, but they got two of the safest 1st rounders in my opinion, with Cam Jordan and Ingram. They only had six picks but they got good value with Johnny Patrick in the 3rd and even Greg Romeus in the 7th. Put Martez Wilson between those four and that looks like a pretty good draft.

CN: Teams can't talk to un-drafted free agents, but there appear to be some good players still available, once league business resumes. Going off Dallas' needs and their player templates, who might interest them?

WB: I think Ryan Jones, the cornerback from Northwest Missouri State. He's still out there. At receiver, Terrence Tolliver from LSU and Lestar Jean from Florida Atlantic are two tall receivers who can run. They might interest the Cowboys.

David Mims, the big offensive tackle from Virginia Union, went undrafted. He got a lot of calls late in the draft, but nobody picked him.

CN: Is this a way for teams to get around the rules a bit, by letting Mims' agent know they are interested while the draft is still underway, and this contact is legal?

WB: Yes. It tells the agent, we want your guy. It also gives him some leverage, cause Mims and his agent can not pick the situation they think is best for him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Nick Fairley to Detroit pick, that's the one that blew the top of my head off. The idea of him playing next to Suh is devastating. You can only double-team one of them. Which one is it going to be? I think he's in a very good place. Suh will take him under his wing.

Suh, of course. Fairly may be good, but he will not be as good as Suh.

Top Bottom