C

Cr122

Dallas Cowboys Tidbits: Dining On Bread And Water
by KD Drummond on Apr 19, 2011 5:00 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys News

81713_nfl_super_bowl_football.jpg
Matt Slocum - APMore photos »
DeMarcus Ware tries to explain his role in the 2011 bake off. Rumors around there being a secret meeting

-- The NFL has allowed team and player to gather in the same non-courthouse/mediation room for the first time. Cowboys coaches and players participated in the team's seventh annual Taste of the NFL: The Ultimate Cowboys Tailgate Party on Sunday night. [espn.com] Of course, not to break any rules- there was absolutely no football discussed at the event, wink wink. Head coach Jason Garrett confirmed the no-funny business edict following with this quote:

"We'll talk about the bread and the water,"

Good thing for the Cowboys Executive Chef a lot of the ingredients for the bread were in attendance. DeMarcus Ware, the defensive beast yeast who rises to all occasions, hosted the event at the Gaylord Texan Resort. Also in attendance was offensive power flour Jason Witten, as well as Andre Gurode, Stephen McGee, Phil Costa, L.P. Ladouceur and David Buehler. Assistant coaches Rob Ryan, Wade Wilson, Wes Phillips, John Garrett, Brian Baker and Joe DeCamillis were all spotted hovering around the oven.

Said Ware:

"I'm ready to play," Ware said. "Everybody is going to be ready because you never know when [the lockout is going to end]. It's going to come, and then it's going to be time to play."

Follow the jump for more actual football talk from the event...

-- Fortunately, Clarence E. Hill, Jr. was there and talked to some of the players and coaches. He shares his info in this article. A couple of nuggets:

* Several players are getting together for strength and conditioning at Southlake Carroll High School under the direction of former assistant strength coach Todd Devers. That group includes Jason Witten, David Buehler, Marc Colombo and Chris Gronkowski among others.

* According to coach Jason Garrett, the Cowboys have not made a decision on what they are going to do with the No. 9 pick in the NFL Draft. They are still gauging interest from teams about a possible move down to pick up extra picks.

Garrett said nothing should be read into the fact that he went to the USC Pro Day to scout tackle Tyron Smith up close and personal. He said many of the other tackles worked out at the combine. Smith didn't work out so the trip worked out with his schedule and it gave him a chance to do his due diligence by getting a look at the workout.

-- ESPN's Todd Archer caught up to Jason Witten at the event, and broached the subject of retribution from upper management over the CBA talks. Archer posed the question if the tough talk has irreparable damage on the relationship with owner Jerry Jones.

"I’m sure some guys on the executive committee have seen some of that or heard some have that," Witten said. "They might have different feelings … but I’ve never looked at it that way and I’m sure DeMarcus and Bradie are the same way."

"I’m extremely loyal and appreciative of the Jones family and what they’ve given me," Witten said. "That’s a different situation because of where we play and how involved they are in the program. You love playing for them … I think we all understand it’s a business."

-- Archer also has a story where Witten states the team will begin offseason workouts in the next few weeks.

Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten said the leaders are in the process of putting together the sessions, adding, “Tony [Romo] is doing a good job leading that up. It’s been an important part of what we’re doing.”

-- Dallas Cowboys star Dez Bryant is apparently starting to do the necessary thing to put all the recent bad press behind him. Reports came out over the weekend that Bryant has reached an undisclosed settlement with the jeweler that was suing him for $246,000.

-- Dallas Cowboys receiver Troy Bergeron, the first NFL player that signed on to the AFL during the lockout, continues to light up the league. This past weekened he had 11 catches for 117 yards. [dallasnews.com] Bergeron is currently the leagues leading scorer.

Top Bottom