sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by rphillips at 4/4/2011 1:45 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

It's a point I purposely left out of last week's column (detailing my skepticism of drafting an offensive lineman in the first round) because I wanted to give props to Brandon in Las Vegas for articulating it so well on Talkin' Cowboys:

If the Cowboys draft, say, USC tackle Tyron Smith at No. 9, they better budget for two big tackle contracts.

No one knows what the ninth pick will make due to the possibility of a rookie wage scale, but it'll be expensive regardless. Last year's ninth pick, Buffalo's C.J. Spiller, signed a five-year deal with $20.8 million in guarantees.

That's not veteran left tackle money, but it's hardly a pittance. And if Smith develops into the blind-side protector everyone expects, he'll eventually require a lot more.

That brings us to the Cowboys' current left tackle, Doug Free, who will be a free agent whenever the new league year begins. He could be restricted, but more likely would be unrestricted as a four-year vet. What's his asking price? Certainly as much as a first-rounder, and quite possibly in the $40 million range. That's just the going rate for a proven left tackle, even if he winds up playing the right side again.

So although the Cowboys are eventually expected to be more active in free agency, one position would eat into a lot of their cap space under this scenario.

Reaction score
Everyone knows tackle is a position you can skimp on. They have no real value to an offense.

C

Cr122

With the CBA not settled who knows what these rookies will make.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is There Room For 2 Big Tackle Contracts?

ummm......
3a8616c3a3194e09a9d1a41603f5d358.jpg

...Yes.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm against two big T contracts.

So let Doug Free walk and avoid that bad contract. Don't pull a Miles Austin and pay him as if he's league best at his position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm against two big T contracts.

So let Doug Free walk and avoid that bad contract. Don't pull a Miles Austin and pay him as if he's league best at his position.

What the hell good does letting Free walk do? He's a good young player who we've developed here. You dont makwe your team better by taking a position of weakness, and letting your only good, young starter in that area walk away. Its painfully stupid.

We have two good OL's and one of those is clearly on the downswing. Letting Free go only opens up another hole.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Further, this idea that "paying" two tackles is overspending on a position is stupid. Every team that has two really good tackles is paying them in some way shape or form.

Smith's contract (if he's taken at 9) is going to be a bargain compared to what signing a proven quality veteran would be, regardless of whether that guy is a RT or LT. And RT is a massive hole.

sbk92

Reaction score
What the hell good does letting Free walk do? He's a good young player who we've developed here. You dont makwe your team better by taking a position of weakness, and letting your only good, young starter in that area walk away. Its painfully stupid.

We have two good OL's and one of those is clearly on the downswing. Letting Free go only opens up another hole.

If the choice is to overpay Doug Free like he has talent and is an NFL LT or let him walk and begin to fix our payroll, I'll choose the latter.

The same reason why I wouldn't have given Miles Austin Andre Johnson money is why I'd let Free go. Wouldn't even entertain the thought of resigning him unless he came back to the Cowboys looking to make a reasonable deal for guy with his borderline ability.

I know a dominant LT when I see one. Doug Free isn't it. The fact that we have no talent along the entire OL wouldn't make me overrate him.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm not against two big T contracts in philosophy. I'm only against 2 of those contracts here if one of them is given to Doug Free.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You just dont like Doug Free because we drafted him, thats your issue. If he were an Eagle or a Patriot though, you'd be talking about what a superb job those team's front office did in finding a quality starter in the middle rounds.

Your crusade against the guy is pretty lame.

There's no way we should let this guy walk. I wouldnt sign him to a 100 million dollars deal or anything, but smethign within reason for a young, proven starter at the T position is well warranted.

Also not sure what your issue is with Miles Austin's deal. He's one of the best WR's in the league.

sbk92

Reaction score
How about I don't like Free because I don't think he's good enough? How's that theory work out?

sbk92

Reaction score
Miles Austin isn't one of the top 10 WRs in the NFL.

And this is coming from the guy that believed he was legit when he signed with Dallas as an UDFA.

sbk92

Reaction score
Ya know why the Cowboys love Tyron Smith?

Because talent meets need there. They know they don't have a true franchise LT. Doug Free isn't it. He's a guy you get by with. Not a guy who dominates at his position for the next 10 years protecting the QB's blindside.

And I don't even like him at RT. I want a bigger, stronger player there.

sbk92

Reaction score
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
DeSean Jackson
Hakeem Nicks
Brandon Marshall
Larry Fitgerald
Santonio Holmes
Anquan Boldin
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Calvin Johnson
Dwayne Bowe

I'd take all those guys over Austin without hesitation. If Dez Bryant doesn't go full ******, him too. Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin, Wes Welker, Sidney Rice and Steve Smith are at least in the discussion.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
BTW there's nothing wrong with drafting Tyron Smith. If he gets too big for an extension down the road, just draft another tackle to replace him. Doesn't have to be a top 10 selection, esp if it's for the RT position. You should be doing that year in and year out regardless, for every vet who may be too expensive to re-sign if money is tied down elsewhere.

We're basically rebuilding the line so we can't afford to let Doug Free just walk away. We need every good lineman we can get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom