C

Cr122

Cowboys Hot Routes: Five views of Dez Bryant's injury
Posted Saturday, Jul. 31, 2010
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

Wide receiver Dez Bryant's injury was detrimental to the Cowboys in a number of ways, from his development to the final roster numbers at wide receiver and other positions. Here are the top five:

1 It's a setback in Bryant's development. Remember, he only played three games last year at Oklahoma State before being ruled ineligible. Though he worked a lot at OTAs and minicamp, he needs as much time on the field as possible.

2 Patrick Crayton is no longer on the roster bubble. He will make the team, despite his $2 million salary. The Cowboys need him as insurance in case Bryant suffers a setback. He also might have to serve as the primary punt returner in the opener.

3 With Crayton back and the need to keep Sam Hurd to cover kicks on special teams, there is good chance the Cowboys will keep six receivers, which will cost them depth at another position. There was talk of them going with five receivers.

4 This puts even more pressure on kicker David Buehler to become the primary kicker, handling kickoffs and field goals. The Cowboys don't need to waste a roster spot on another kicker.

5 In this numbers game, the Cowboys will likely go with nine offensive linemen instead of 10 as they did last year. That's even more reason for guard Kyle Kosier to be the backup center in case something happens to Andre Gurode.

Red-zone woes

One point of emphasis for the Cowboys' offense this season is improving in the red zone. The Cowboys ranked second in total offense in 2009 but just 14th in scoring.

Blame that on their problems in the road zone, where the Cowboys ranked 24th in scoring and 14th in touchdowns.

The Cowboys focused on it in minicamp and are turning their attention to it in training camp. But the results on Saturday were less than encouraging.

One four-play sequence included a drop by Roy Williams, a high incomplete pass to Jason Witten and incomplete passes to Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd.

Owusu-Ansah close

Fourth-round pick Akwasi Owusu-Ansah will make his training camp debut this week, possibly as early as Wednesday.

The free safety from Indiana (Pa.) has been sidelined since the start of camp rehabbing from off-season shoulder surgery.

But he said he will be ready to go Wednesday.

"I'm 100 percent sure about that," Owusu-Ansah said.

He said he has been frustrated sitting out and watching his teammates practice.

"It's been hard but my time is going to come," Owusu-Ansah said.

T.O. takes shot

at Cowboys

Don't think for a minute that former Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens doesn't keep up with what's going on around the NFL.

So the little stunt he pulled at practice with the Bengals on Friday was definitely a subtle dig at the Cowboys.

Owens, claiming he felt like a rookie again with his new team, carried Chad Ochocinco's pads and helmet after practice. It was a veiled shot that contrasted the Cowboys controversy of a week ago when rookie Dez Bryant refused to carry veteran receiver Roy Williams' shoulder pads.

"I guess until he tells me I'm good to go," Owens said. "I don't have a problem with it. Whatever Chad says, Chad gets."

Injury report

S Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (shoulder/hamstring), could practice Wednesday.

LB Stephen Hodge (knee), out indefinitely.

NT Josh Brent (hand), day-to-day.

DE Jason Hatcher (elbow), day-to-day

LB Sean Lee (strained quad), should return soon.

DE Sean Lissemore (strained groin), out 1-2 weeks.

FS Pat Watkins (knee), day-to-day

WR Dez Bryant (ankle sprain), out 4-6 weeks

Reaction score
T.O. takes shot

at Cowboys

Don't think for a minute that former Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens doesn't keep up with what's going on around the NFL.

So the little stunt he pulled at practice with the Bengals on Friday was definitely a subtle dig at the Cowboys.

Owens, claiming he felt like a rookie again with his new team, carried Chad Ochocinco's pads and helmet after practice. It was a veiled shot that contrasted the Cowboys controversy of a week ago when rookie Dez Bryant refused to carry veteran receiver Roy Williams' shoulder pads.

"I guess until he tells me I'm good to go," Owens said. "I don't have a problem with it. Whatever Chad says, Chad gets."

What a moron.

I also heard he said something to the effect that Palmer is the best QB he's played with since Steve Young.

I look forward to him toiling around in mediocracy there in Cinicinatti.

C

Cr122

What a moron.

I also heard he said something to the effect that Palmer is the best QB he's played with since Steve Young.

I look forward to him toiling around in mediocracy there in Cinicinatti.

T.O. blows every quarterback he meets until they stop throwing him the ball or he get's less attention.

I'm glad that douchebag is off this team.

sbk92

Reaction score
He's the biggest A-hole in the league and now he's paired up with the 2nd biggest.

His career will end badly. Cincinnati thinks they signed an elite receiver or something. All they did was add a solid #2 on a good day.

And a rapidly declining one at that. With a huge superstar ego that now wants the football far more than his talent warrants.

C

Cr122

He's the biggest A-hole in the league and now he's paired up with the 2nd biggest.

His career will end badly. Cincinnati thinks they signed an elite receiver or something. All they did was add a solid #2 on a good day.

And a rapidly declining one at that. With a huge superstar ego that now wants the football far more than his talent warrants.

I can't wait to see these two fucktards when their both upset, and having fits on the sidelines.

Top Bottom