sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by rphillips at 3/25/2011 5:23 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Compensatory draft picks might be viewed simply as throw-ins because, well, they are in a sense. Teams losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year are eligible to receive compensatory draft picks, announced annually in the weeks leading up the NFL Draft and attached to the end of each round.

The Cowboys were awarded one pick this year, a seventh-rounder (51/251 overall), based on draft order to help fill out a required total of 32 compensatory picks for the entire league.

The system began in 1994, and the Cowboys got anything but a throw-in draft pick with their very first compensatory second-round selection: Larry Allen, arguably the most dominant offensive lineman in franchise history.

The rest? Few players stand out at all besides recent picks David Buehler and John Phillips.

Here’s how the Cowboys have done with compensatory picks since 1994, starting with L.A.:

1994: OL Larry Allen, 2nd Round; T George Hegamin, 3rd Round

1995: CB Alundis Brice, 4th Round; LB Linc Harden, 4th Round; WR Edward Hervey, 5th Round; LB Dana Howard, 5th Round

1996: WR Stepfret Williams, 3rd Round; DL Mike Ulufale, 3rd Round; LB Alan Campos, 5th Round; CB Wendell Davis, 6th Round

1997: CB Kenny Wheaton, 3rd Round; WR Macey Brooks, 4th Round; FB Nicky Sualua, 4th Round

1998: S Izell Reese, 6th Round; RB Tarik Smith, 7th Round; G Antonio Fleming, 7th Round; TE Rod Monroe, 7th Round

1999: DE Peppi Zellner, 4th Round; OL Kelvin Garmon, 7th Round

2001: DT Willie Blade, 3rd Round; DT John Nix, 7th Round; T Charron Dorsey, 7th Round

2002: WR Deveren Johnson, 6th Round; TE Bob Slowikowski, 6th Round

2005: S Justin Beriault, 6th Round; T Rob Petitti, 6th Round

2009: K David Buehler, 5th Round; TE John Phillips, 6th Round

sbk92

Reaction score
Take a good look at that list.

That doesn't happen if the Cowboys have a real talent evaluator at GM.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
28 total picks ................. The figure head(s) evidently treated the compensatory picks as throw ins. As soon as they got to Dallas 2/3 of them were thrown out in a very short period of time.

1 HOF - Larry Allen

2 - The jury is still out / potential players in Buehler & Phillips

25 - Watered down turds

sbk92

Reaction score
28 total picks ................. The figure head(s) evidently treated the compensatory picks as throw ins. As soon as they got to Dallas 2/3 of them were thrown out in a very short period of time.

1 HOF - Larry Allen

25 - Watered down turds

And the Larry Allen selection was a 2nd round comp pick. The year after Jimmy left.

It's God awful. I can do better intoxicated.

Reaction score

1 HOF - Larry Allen

25 - Watered down turds

Nobody calls Linc Harden a watered down turd!

sbk92

Reaction score
Remember Dana Howard? All world LB from Illinois. Set the Big 10 record in tackles, won the Butkus award. The Cowboys got him in the 5th round and he stunk up the joint. Was off the team in a year and out of the league in three.

sbk92

Reaction score
alundis-bryce-dallas-cowboys-autographed-photograph-3330162.jpg

sbk92

Reaction score
Deveren Johnson. Who can forget his intense camp battles with Pete Hunter on our first Hard Knocks?

sbk92

Reaction score
Izell Reese actually was decent for awhile. I suppose you can't call that a bad pick.

Reaction score
Deveren Johnson. Who can forget his intense camp battles with Pete Hunter on our first Hard Knocks?

Wasn't he the kid that broke his knee cap two years in a row?

I think you could actually hear the knee break during hard knocks.

And lol @ Pete Hunter going to McDonalds and not knowing what they had. I think he asked if they had taco's or something. Moron.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Wasn't he the kid that broke his knee cap two years in a row?

I think you could actually hear the knee break during hard knocks.

And lol @ Pete Hunter going to McDonalds and not knowing what they had. I think he asked if they had taco's or something. Moron.

He was a WR but that was Anthony Lucas from Arkansas. This kid had a lot more promise than Deveren Johnson but couldn't stay away from the injury bug.

Reaction score
He was a WR but that was Anthony Lucas from Arkansas. This kid had a lot more promise than Deveren Johnson but couldn't stay away from the injury bug.

Anthony Lucas. That's right.

Back to Pete Hunter, this is what pissed me off most about him. When we went to work him out at VCU prior to the draft, he didn't have his own shoes. He had to borrow a teammates, but the cleats were too small. In the middle of the work out, he was having problems. I forget exactly what, but I think he was limping between drills, etc. The coach asked him what was wrong, Pete told him, and the coach suggested they could stop the work out. Hunter responded that he didn't want to do that, that it was an honor to work out for them, etc. We were the only team to work him out privately.

When I heard that story shortly after we drafted him, I became an instant fan.

Fast forward a few years, and I think it was Parcells that wanted to move him to safety, but Hunter refused, saying he was a CB only.

To go from being so humble, to thinking you've made it and can tell a HOF coach what position you're going to play, in just a matter of 2-3 years. Ridiculous.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Anthony Lucas. That's right.

Back to Pete Hunter, this is what pissed me off most about him. When we went to work him out at VCU prior to the draft, he didn't have his own shoes. He had to borrow a teammates, but the cleats were too small. In the middle of the work out, he was having problems. I forget exactly what, but I think he was limping between drills, etc. The coach asked him what was wrong, Pete told him, and the coach suggested they could stop the work out. Hunter responded that he didn't want to do that, that it was an honor to work out for them, etc. We were the only team to work him out privately.

When I heard that story shortly after we drafted him, I became an instant fan.

Fast forward a few years, and I think it was Parcells that wanted to move him to safety, but Hunter refused, saying he was a CB only.

To go from being so humble, to thinking you've made it and can tell a HOF coach what position you're going to play, in just a matter of 2-3 years. Ridiculous.

Then the SOB virtually walks off the streets and helps the Seahawks beat us in that demoralizing playoff game.

Top Bottom