sbk92

Reaction score
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

The Dallas Cowboys were among about a dozen teams that attended Hampton University's ``Pro Day'' on Wednesday. Mammoth defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis was the subject oftheir attention.

Ellis is 6 feet 5 and weighed in at 333 pounds. He is remarkably nimble for a large man. Ellis' workout included a 32-inch vertical leap. At the NFL combine, he ran the 40 in 5.19 seconds.

Ellis started his collegaite career at South Carolina but was dismissed in May, 2008, because of repeated violations of school and team regulations.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's got some issues, but there's not much denying the ability. He could potentially play anywhere in a 3-4 front.

Last edited:
C

Cr122

I've always wanted a bigger nose tackle on our team, but would hate to draft him with character issues.

I think he's the biggest DT in the draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wouldn't want him. Reminds me of that incredibly athletic, huge DT the Saints drafted late a few years ago who broke down and cried during workouts.

If you can't handle FSU, then the NFL is probably not the place for you.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yep these days most are well over 6'3...They might not appear to be tall b/c they are so wide.

That's not true.

Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, N.Y. Jets, Baltimore. They all have NTs 6'3" and under. And they're probably the best 3-4 defenses in football.

The shorter the better.

It's not like you can't play it taller, but it's definitely a negative.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That's not true.

Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, N.Y. Jets, Baltimore. They all have NTs 6'3" and under. And they're probably the best 3-4 defenses in football.

The shorter the better.

It's not like you can't play it taller, but it's definitely a negative.

It's all about leverage.

I would assume any team viewing this guy as a potential NT, would judge this players ability to play low. In college given his size and level of competition he didn't have to rely on technique to succeed.

Reaction score
Ratliff is 6'4".

Ratliff's is also only 305 lbs and his game is predicated on speed and disruption.

At 333lbs, that won't be the case with this kid. He'll need to be a space eater. Hold the point of attack and occupy blockers. Leverage is key for those types of players.

Not that it can't be done. Ted Washington was about 6'5" and weighed more than 350lbs.

But most of the successful NT's are 6'3" and under.

sbk92

Reaction score
Josh Brent is 6'2".

He's not much smaller than Vince Wilfork's listed size. Same height, a little lighter.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ratliff's is also only 305 lbs and his game is predicated on speed and disruption.

At 333lbs, that won't be the case with this kid. He'll need to be a space eater. Hold the point of attack and occupy blockers. Leverage is key for those types of players.

Not that it can't be done. Ted Washington was about 6'5" and weighed more than 350lbs.

But most of the successful NT's are 6'3" and under.

I understand that, but you cannot tell me that those extra 2 inches would make him less effective. And I doubt that those players that are 6'3" and under, would be any less successful if they had an extra 2 inches to them.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I understand that, but you cannot tell me that those extra 2 inches would make him less effective. And I doubt that those players that are 6'3" and under, would be any less successful if they had an extra 2 inches to them.

That's an extra 2 inches that he has to make up though. It may not seem significant, but it is. Especially if you don't rely on technique. You have to do that snap in, and snap out. Is he up to the task?

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score

It's all about technique and being able to get (and stay) low. This kid probably hasn't needed to stay with his technique while competing against college athletes. Obviously the next level will be much, much different where the low-man usually wins.

The Cowboys seem to be loaded with talented yet lazy players. Can this kid stay with his technique all game long?

Top Bottom