Reaction score
Attack on Libya: Leader promises long war after first wave of missile assault
The U.S. launched Tomahawk cruise missiles March 19.

attack-libya-6-0319_rdax_676x449.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:46 AM
WASHINGTON --

The U.S. military launched a missile attack against Libya's air defenses.

President Barack Obama said the United States launched a limited military action in Libya against the forces of Moammar Gadhafi.

Saturday's mission was aimed at clearing the way for imposition of a European-led no-fly zone over the North African country.

The action came after the United Nations authorized the force to stop the Libyan leader from killing rebel forces who are trying to get him out of power.

Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Staff, told reporters the Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired from one British submarine and a number of American destroyers and subs. He said they hit more than 20 air defense sites along the Mediterranean coastline. He said the success of the mission was not immediately clear, adding that additional attacks would commence later.

Gortney said the mission has two goals: prevent further attacks by Libyan forces on rebels and other civilians, and degrade the Libyan military's ability to contest a no-fly zone.

The president, speaking during a visit to Brazil, said the United States and its allies had not sought this outcome, but that Gadhafi had given the West no choice. In Obama's words: "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy."

Pentagon officials said 112 cruise missiles launched from U.S. and U.K. ships and subs, hitting 20 sites.

Obama says he is aware of the risks of taking military action. He declared once again that the United States will not send ground forces into Libya.

Libyan state TV is quoting the armed forces command as saying 48 people have been killed and 150 wounded in the allied assault by U.S. and European forces. The report can't be independently confirmed.
Gadhafi vows Libya will defend itself

Moammar Gadhafi is vowing Libya will defend itself from what he calls "crusader aggression," as U.S.-led international forces begin an attack in support of the rebel uprising against him.

Gadhafi is promising "a long war."

The Libyan leader says the involvement of international forces will subject the Mediterranean and North African region to danger and put civilians at risk.

He also warns that weapons depots are being opened to arm the Libyan people in defense.

Hours earlier, the U.S. fired more than 100 cruise missiles at his air defenses.

Gadhafi spoke around midnight Saturday in a phone call to Libyan state TV.

He said the international action against his forces was unjustified, calling it "simply a colonial crusader aggression that may ignite another large-scale crusader war."

Gas prices expected to rise

If you need to fill up your gas tank, you may not want to wait too long.

The attack on Libya is expected to cause gas prices to go from bad to worse.

The current national average for a price of regular unleaded is 3.54.

That's down just one cent from last week.

But experts believe prices will skyrocket after the recent air strike.

Libya is the world's 12th largest oil exporter.

Since unrest began, production has dramatically decreased by about three quarters.

So as oil export slows to a trickle, experts believe it will likely dry up as military action continues.

With that, the focus is on Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Things are contained at the moment.

But if they start exchanging fire, it could easily drive the market above the record high.
Locals react to airstrikes in Libya

Libyans living in Orlando organized a rally at Lake Eola Saturday night.

They said they are very happy to see the involvement of countries like France and the U.S. They say it gives them new hope.

Some also said they wish it would have had happen weeks ago.

They were out with signs and chants blasting what they call Moammar Gadhafi's reign of terror.

Since unrest broke out in Libya, the Orlando group said they have relatives who have been killed in the fighting.

They said they have trouble reaching loved ones. When they do get a hold of them, they have to listen for things like gunfire in the background, because since calls are recorded Libyans are afraid to say what's really going on.

"I'm asking him how's everything going and he says fine, you can hear it in his voice. It's lifeless you can tell everything's not OK," said organizer Asmaa Elmani.

The U.S. operation is called Odyssey Dawn. The group at Lake Eola doesn't have a name. They think small groups in the U.S. are making a difference.

They held a candlelight vigil for loved ones they said have died in the pursuit of freedom.

They prayed for the well-being of everyone in Libya, loved ones they said that are difficult to reach.

They also prayed the U.S. air strikes will work, because they say Gadhafi won't respond to reason.

"He would not listen to anything the United Nations asked, President Obama, I think the only thing he responds to is force," said native Libyan Daw Elghabar.

They've planned a fundraiser for Libya next Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at Turkey Lake Park. All proceeds will go to Hope International.
Al-Jazeera says crew in Libya detained

Al-Jazeera TV says Libyan authorities have detained a team of its journalists in western Libya.

The network says in a statement Saturday that the four correspondents are Tunisian, Mauritanian, Norwegian and British.

They were reporting from Libya for several days.

Al-Jazeera says "Libyan authorities will be held responsible for the safety, security and well-being of the team who are being held in Tripoli."

63echo

Reaction score
I'm as war-mongering as anyone here, but at this point I wish we'd just stay out of it and let this "European-led" coalition (or even Libya itself) handle their own business. If we want to get all up in some other sovereign nation's business, I'd rather we turn our eyes to just south of our border.

Reaction score
I'm as war-mongering as anyone here, but at this point I wish we'd just stay out of it and let this "European-led" coalition (or even Libya itself) handle their own business. If we want to get all up in some other sovereign nation's business, I'd rather we turn our eyes to just south of our border.

:OhSnap

63echo

Reaction score
Maybe not bomb Mexico (though I'm open to the idea), but it's shameful that that crap is going on in our own backyard. We're so intent on being the world's police force, and we can't even "help" our neighbors out of the 19th frigging century?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Shit, we can't even help our own homeless (yes, blacks included). That's what pissed me about the disaster in Haiti being a cause celebre'. I mean, what happend to taking care of people that you can help, and who live on your streets??

63echo

Reaction score
Shit, we can't even help our own homeless (yes, blacks included). That's what pissed me about the disaster in Haiti being a cause celebre'. I mean, what happend to taking care of people that you can help, and who live on your streets??

That too. Jesus Christ. I wonder how much 112 cruise missiles cost, and if this is a European action, did they foot the bill?

Reaction score
We need to start worrying about our own problems at home first, and stop trying to police the world and overextend ourselves even more. NO MORE SPENDING MONEY THAT WE DON'T HAVE.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Speaking of overextending, have any of you guys heard about the US's plan to purchase Mexico to police it and stop the drug war that's going on down there? My co-worker told me about it, and I seriously, seriously hope that we aren't even contemplating that scenario. That's adding like 300 million more poor people (I'm poh too, so I'm not hating). Giving those ****ers the ability to move anywhere in the US legally is just too horrible to fathom.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd rather we give them the ability to move here legally, at least then we'll start getting some ****ing taxes from them. One of the major problems in this country right now is there are so many illegals here that we don't take care of and it costs us big time.

C

Cr122

I agree we need to concentrate more on our own country. We have our own damn problems.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd rather we give them the ability to move here legally, at least then we'll start getting some ****ing taxes from them. One of the major problems in this country right now is there are so many illegals here that we don't take care of and it costs us big time.

Screw that. We don't need any more of them taking our jobs DUR DE DURRR

Reaction score
One of the major problems in this country right now is there are so many illegals here that we don't take care of and it costs us big time.

I agree.

Nothing would cut costs more than "taking care" of the illegals that are already here.

:sbk92

sbk92

Reaction score
I'll tolerate pretty much anything on these boards, but when you start criticizing Mexicans you're stepping over my line.

Cythim

Reaction score
I'll tolerate pretty much anything on these boards, but when you start criticizing Mexicans you're stepping over my line.

This is just typical white wing... err right wing ignorance toward illegal immigrants. Spouting the same stupid rhetoric as their savior, Rush Limbaugh.

63echo

Reaction score
This is just typical white wing... err right wing ignorance toward illegal immigrants. Spouting the same stupid rhetoric as their savior, Rush Limbaugh.

lol I figured you'd chime in with something like this.

Top Bottom