sbk92

Reaction score
Russ Lande
Sporting News

As we approach the halfway point in the pro day season, here are some topics and players being discussed by NFL scouts and personnel people:

• In the past month, there has been a lot of talk that Alabama DT Marcell Dareus has flown past Auburn’s Nick Fairley on draft boards across the league, but it’s not that simple. Though Dareus is definitely more pro-ready, a number of sources have told us their teams rate Fairley as a better prospect. Fairley has received a lot of negative publicity for taking plays off, but we didn’t see evidence of that on film. We spoke to a number of sources, and every one of them says he plays with excellent competitiveness and intensity on every snap.

Although Fairley is young and may lack maturity, our sources say he’s a good kid who won’t get in trouble. Every source we spoke to told us that if his NFL team has some veterans who can help mentor him, he will develop into a star in a few seasons. Based on pure talent, Fairley is clearly a level above Dareus.

• Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt is causing much debate among NFL personnel men as they try to figure out where he fits best in defensive schemes and what his draft value is. Teams that use a 3-4 system like Watt because he has the combination of size (6-5 3/8, 290) , strength and competitiveness to be a good, solid starter at end. Most 3-4 teams rate him as a late first-round pick. Teams that play a 4-3 are having a harder time figuring out where he fits because of the way defenses have changed in recent seasons.

Most 4-3 teams are looking for quick ends who can threaten the corner from either side. Watt doesn’t have the explosiveness off the ball and elite speed to consistently pressure from the edge, and he doesn’t have the variety of pass-rush moves to consistently defeat good offensive tackles. He often gets his pressure on QBs through sheer effort and hustle, which is why he is not an ideal fit as an end in a 4-3 and why those teams view him as a more of a second-round pick.

• Teams are also having a hard time figuring out where Illinois LB Martez Wilson should play in the NFL. His best traits are his straight-line speed and natural pass-rush skills. Couple those with his good size (6-3¾, 250) and many teams feel he is best suited to playing on the outside in a 3-4. However, because he is stiff, lacks good all-around athleticism and is not as effective playing off the ball outside, some clubs (both 3-4 and 4-3 teams) feel he is best suited to play inside. The problem is he is not consistently effective at taking on and shedding blocks, which is a big issue inside.

He also is not a good form tackler, which is a big concern on the outside because it can lead to big plays. Wilson’s impressive Combine performance has moved him from a third-round prospect to a second-round prospect or possibly even a first-rounder. But because he isn’t an ideal fit at an any position, my sources feel he could struggle to become a consistently productive starter.

• There has been a lot written about the big-name prospects who shined at Florida’s pro day on Tuesday, but an under-the-radar player also helped himself a great deal. LB Lorenzo Edwards was primarily a backup at Florida, but he started three games in 2010 and flashed the athleticism to play at the next level. At 6-1 5/8 , 241 pounds, he was timed at 4.65 and 4.68 in the 40 and had a vertical jump of 31½ inches. During position drills, he looked very quick and displayed good all-around athleticism. Although scouts question his instincts and awareness, he likely will get a shot as a free agent after the draft.

• After a down senior year in which he played through numerous injuries, Montana RB Chase Reynolds showed at his pro day that he has the tools to play in the NFL. At 5-11¼, 201 pounds, he clocked a 4.53 in the 40 and had a 36-inch vertical jump. Reynolds also was strong in the position drills. He caught the ball very well — and it looks like he could contribute as a third-down back right away. After Reynolds looked so good on his pro day, we would be surprised if he isn’t drafted.

C

Cr122

I like Dareus, but I'd prefer Nick Fairley over him.

I watched him in a few games this year and he's a beast.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He might have more raw talent, but one year wonders always worry me.

sbk92

Reaction score
He might have more raw talent, but one year wonders always worry me.

Really?

So how'd you feel about resigning Miles Austin like he was Andre Johnson?

What are your feelings on resigning Doug Free this offseason to franchise LT money?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really?

So how'd you feel about resigning Miles Austin like he was Andre Johnson?

What are your feelings on resigning Doug Free this offseason to franchise LT money?

I was speaking of one yr wonders from college getting drafted high

Austin and Free were both guys that had been on this team for quite some time, they knew what they were getting with those guys.

sbk92

Reaction score
I was speaking of one yr wonders from college getting drafted high

Austin and Free were both guys that had been on this team for quite some time, they knew what they were getting with those guys.

Really?

They knew from their whopping one year of production?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really?

They knew from their whopping one year of production?

Your not even worth arguing with anymore SBK...I know you arnt this stupid, you just love playing the act of message board stooge

sbk92

Reaction score
Your not even worth arguing with anymore SBK...I know you arnt this stupid, you just love playing the act of message board stooge

I'm not worth arguing with anymore because I'm right and don't let your blatant homerism go unchecked. You're the most illogical, biased fan on any of these boards.

You question using a first round pick on a player who had one year of production in college, yet you salute paying a WR Andre Johnson type money off of one year of production in the NFL.

Why? Because...well...cmon....the Cowboys did it. So it was right.

Worthless read.

sbk92

Reaction score
Homerism > dipshitism

I'm reeling over here.

Yes. I'll be known as the dipshat who was "negative" while the Cowboys sucked.

You, on the other hand, will go down as a moron homer read, saying the same thing every year regardless of the state of the team.

Top Bottom