Reaction score
'Regulate' rapper Nate Dogg dead at 41;
Rose to fame with Snoop Dogg, Warren G, Dr. Dre

BY Lukas I. Alpert

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 9:23 AM

Nate Dogg, whose smooth voice added a soft touch to some of the biggest rap hits to come out of the West Coast, has died. He was 41.

The cause of death was not immediately announced, but the lyricist, born Nathaniel Dwayne Hale, had suffered two serious strokes in recent years.

Hale made his first waves in hip-hop in 1991 as part of the rap trio 213 with Warren G and Snoop Dogg and later rose to fame as a guest vocalist on Dr. Dre's mega-hit, "The Chronic."

But he was best known for the hook he provided on the 1994 hit song "Regulate," with Warren G.

Appearing on the soundtrack of the film "Above the Rim," starring late rapper Tupac Shakur, the song hit No. 2 on the Billboard Top 100.

"We lost a true legend n hip hop n rnb," Snoop Dogg tweeted. "One of my best friends n a brother to me since 1986 when I was a sophomore at poly high where we met. I love u buddy luv. U will always b wit me 4ever n a day."

Hale began singing as a child in a Long Beach, Calif. Baptist church where his father was the pastor.

When he was 16, he dropped out of high school and joined the Marines where he served for three years.

When Dr. Dre heard a demo by 213 he was intrigued, and began to work with the group. Their collaboration helped make Snoop Dogg one of hip-hop's biggest stars.

Hale went on to make three solo albums, but was best known for his collaborative work, singing hooks on other rappers' songs.

He was nominated for four Grammy Awards, most recently for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for the 2007 Eminem track, "Shake That."

Hale he was left paralyzed on one side of his body following a stroke that year. He suffered a second stroke in 2008.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai..._snoop_dogg_warren_g_dr_dr.html#ixzz1GltoKavR

Top Bottom