C

Cr122

Column by KEVIN SHERRINGTON / The Dallas Morning News | ksherrington@dallasnews.com
11:33 PM CDT on Friday, July 30, 2010

SAN ANTONIO – On Feb. 5, 1964, Clint Murchison announced he'd just signed his football coach, a man with a 13-38-3 record, to an unprecedented 10-year contract.

Tom Landry responded to that act of faith by giving up thoughts of a career change, determining that coaching must be "a calling."

Wade Phillips didn't experience the same epiphany after a two-year extension from Jerry Jones, but it sure beat the usual.

In four previous stops as a head coach, twice as an interim, he'd never been rehired. A guy could start to take it personally.

And Phillips did, occasionally to his detriment. His hide isn't what you'd call thick, and not just because he's dropped 40 pounds.

Over much of his first three seasons in Dallas, Phillips had been almost preternaturally defensive. No one's been quicker with a stat to deflect criticism. He could dig up data to make BP's spill seem like a grease spot in your driveway.

But it hasn't always been a warm and fuzzy crowd to work with, either. Criticism came early and often. Some leaked from this space, too.

With a guy who basically coaches through positive reinforcement, it stands to reason he'd respond well to the same kind of treatment.

Of course, that's not the media's inclination, let alone its job. The requirement falls on his employers and the people who work for him.

Phillips earned the respect of his players last year after he stood up for them when a reporter questioned whether they were winners. Even at that, it was basically a reaffirmation. They've liked his consistency and the fact that he doesn't rip them in public.

But Jerry Jones? His feelings couldn't be called official until they were in writing.

If not for the new deal, Phillips would have been confronted with his greatest career disappointment. When he wasn't rehired in Denver and Buffalo, he consoled himself with the fact that the teams didn't do any better without him. Here, with all the Cowboys' talent, it would have been a different story.

Or maybe not.

In a world of knee-jerk owners and antsy athletic directors, what we've found is that continuity works pretty well. The Steelers proved that concept, though the Cowboys did it first.

Now, no one's saying that Wade Phillips is the next Tom Landry. But if nothing else, continuity has a practical side to it.

"I've changed jobs quite a bit," Phillips said, "and I'll see players and think, 'I can't believe they didn't play this guy, that guy,' and you put him in, then you're there for a year and you see why they didn't like him.

"You have to be with a guy for a while to know how he'll react to coaching. Some are sensitive and some aren't.

"There are a lot of good coaches out there. If you give 'em a set of problems, they'll work 'em out."

As you might have suspected, there's some family history here.

"I believe if they'd kept my dad in Houston," he said of Bum, "they'd have kept on winning."

Unfortunately for Oiler fans, Bud Adams didn't learn his lesson until he hired Jeff Fisher, who's going into his 17th season.

Some owners need a little time in the job to mellow. Take Jerry. If you count Phillips as the de facto defensive coordinator when Brian Stewart held the title, the Cowboys will employ the same head coach and coordinators for the fourth consecutive season, a first in the Jerry Era.

If the Cowboys end up in the Super Bowl, there won't be a fifth season for Jason Garrett. And he won't be Phillips' successor, either.

If the Cowboys aren't playing in JerryWorld in February, I wouldn't guarantee that anyone makes it back.

Phillips understands the risks. He knows he had to win at least one playoff game last season. He knows Jerry has a stadium to fill. He knows the media and fans bring pressure.

Some coaches even force the hands of owners. A former Cowboys coach comes to mind.

An ability to get along with your boss probably helps in this market. Or anywhere, for that matter.

"I don't know," Phillips said, half-smiling. "They didn't keep me around very long in other places."

Win a Super Bowl, Wade, and you could get sick of this place.
• • •

C

Cr122

We all know if there's no Super Bowl this year there's going to be coaching staff changes.

If we don't win it and Jerry keeps them then he's dumber than I thought.

Top Bottom