Reaction score
Greg McElroy says he’s better prepared for the NFL than Cam Newton

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2011, 12:01 PM EST

Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy knows he’s not as good an athlete
as Auburn quarterback Cam Newton. And McElroy is pretty sure he’s going to be waiting to hear his name called at the NFL draft long after Newton has been selected.

But McElroy thinks he’s more ready to play in the NFL than Newton is.

Asked on the Dan Patrick Show who’s better prepared to play in the NFL of the two of them, McElroy picked himself.

“I say me,” McElroy said. “Obviously, my talent level has a much lower ceiling than Cam. That’s fair, and I respect and understand that. But I don’t think I’m the only guy in the NFL that might have that same problem — I don’t think Peyton Manning is as athletic as Cam.”

McElroy says he has an advantage over Newton because he has much more experience playing in a pro-style offense, and that he’s better than Newton at reading defenses.

“As far as understanding and processing information . . . five years down the road will he be a more productive player than me? That remains to be seen,” McElroy said. “I think with my experience in the pro-style offense, my ability to drop back from under center, make checks from the line of scrimmage without looking at the sideline, all of those things play in my corner as far as being very prepared to make the transition to the next level.”

McElroy also confirmed he got a 48 on the Wonderlic, and he said NFL teams are higher on him than most people realize.

“I think I will get drafted higher than a lot of people suggest,” McElroy said.

C

Cr122

I wouldn't mind drafting this kid in the later rounds, very smart kid.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind drafting this kid in the later rounds, very smart kid.

For what? So that we can brag about having the most intelligent clipholder? There is book smarts and then their is football smarts. They do not always intersect. The kid is doing himself a disservice trying to talk down Cam in a roundabout way, which is not very smart. Stand tall on your own, and Peyton Manning is athletic, moreso than people give him credit for.

Reaction score
For what? So that we can brag about having the most intelligent clipholder? There is book smarts and then their is football smarts. They do not always intersect. The kid is doing himself a disservice trying to talk down Cam in a roundabout way, which is not very smart. Stand tall on your own, and Peyton Manning is athletic, moreso than people give him credit for.

I agree, we're not looking for an accountant.

I wouldn't touch this scrub. He's one of the worse QB's every to win a National Title. Gino Toretta Jr...

C

Cr122

He knows how to run a pro style offense and says this to you....

Your a homo.

greg-mcelroy-vs-lsujpg-7cec7fa3eb66869d_medium.jpg

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He knows how to run a pro style offense and says this to you....

Your a homo.

greg-mcelroy-vs-lsujpg-7cec7fa3eb66869d_medium.jpg

It's one thing to run a pro-style offense in college and entirely different to run a pro-style offense in the pros, when the players are much faster and simply better.

C

Cr122

It's one thing to run a pro-style offense in college and entirely different to run a pro-style offense in the pros, when the players are much faster and simply better.

There's no question Cam is more athletic, but he doesn't have the accuracy that McElroy does. If I had to choose I would take McElroy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's no question Cam is more athletic, but he doesn't have the accuracy that McElroy does. If I had to choose I would take McElroy.

I'd go with what we have before either of them.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Cam could be Mike Vick down the road, or he could be Vince Young right now, although he seems to have more confidence in himself than Vince ever had.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With the exception of McGee. I do believe we should replace him.

Not really sure why. He's doing what he needs to be doing and has alot of talent for the position. His growth at the position so far has been fairly impressive, and I am pretty confident he's going to look even better this yr in training camp and preseason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cam could be Mike Vick down the road, or he could be Vince Young right now, although he seems to have more confidence in himself than Vince ever had.

Gonna spread herpes, be a thug and kill dogs?

No thanks.

sbk92

Reaction score
Now I'm no fan of Cam Newton, but I'd sure as shat take him over McGee.

Jesus Christ is dbair the homer of the century.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really?

Explain.

You said you'd rather stick with what we have over either QB. That has to mean you'd take McGee over Newton.

Now say it. So I can laugh about it.

Maybe I need crayons and construction paper to properly convey for you, because apparently you are too dumb or just full of your own shit to understand.

Do I believe McGee is a star in the making. No. Do I even think he'll ever be a frontline NFL starter, probably not. Do I think he could develop into a quality #2 guy, yeah it looks like it.

Do I think wasting the 9th pick of the draft on a boom or bust (most likely bust) player like Cam Newton to replace McGee is good for the team, hell no. Its damn laughable IMO because that 9th pick almost certainly could end up being a guy who could help us win this year. It isnt worth it IMO to use the 9th pick overall on a player to replace McGee, especially when I dont think said player will ever amount to anything.

As for McElroy. He's a smart kid and I'm sure he's a helluva guy, but McGee has more NFL potential than he does and he's already spent two yrs learning our system.

Top Bottom