Reaction score
2/22/2011 11:34:23 AM | More

Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Gil Brandt, former Dallas Cowboys' director of player personnel, is well aware of Cam Newton's history and noted that Newton has created no issues for himself since leaving Florida. He's also aware that Newton is the most talented player in the 2011 draft. And in the NFL, talent rules.

Any team in need of a quarterback, starting with the Carolina Panthers (Jimmy Clausen clearly is not a long-term solution), would be crazy to pass on Newton's physical skills because the next-best option -- Missouri's Blaine Gabbert -- is not in the same ballpark.

"It would shock me... if he's not the first player picked," Brandt said Monday. "If I was drafting and I had Carolina's [No. 1] pick, I'd feel really good about who I was getting as far as ability. I just hope he realizes how hard he needs to work. You can have all the ability in the world but if you don't work like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, you're only going to be semi-successful."

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Gil Barndt has lost whats left of his mind...

You know I was thinking the same thing.

But wouldn't be interesting, if old Gil was right on the money and Newton was the first pick overall? The fact there are going to be teams who are so desperate for a starting QB that they'll blow their first round pick on one that doesn't reflect good value at the spot chosen.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Gil Brandt was the man back in the day.

These days,however,he's probably pretty shocked when he wakes up.

63echo

Reaction score
Brandt has a mind like a steel trap (is what it amounts to)...how he remembers the things he does is amazing (is what it amounts to). But yeah, he's losing any rationality he once had (is what it amounts to).

If Cam Newton is the number one pick, I will literally sit down and eat a ham sandwich.

Top Bottom