C

Cr122

Teddy Williams has something Cowboys like
Posted Thursday, Jul. 29, 2010
By Jan Hubbard

jhubbard@star-telegram.com

SAN ANTONIO -- If an outlook that can be described as blindingly sunny has any impact, Teddy Williams is headed for superstardom and will be an integral part of a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl winner.

In the real football world, however, outlook, doesn't make tackles, cover receivers or somehow negate four years of football inactivity.

The Cowboys signed Williams to a free-agent contract Thursday and will try him as a defensive back -- a position he has never played.

The last time Williams put on football pads was in 2006 at John Tyler High School in Tyler. He went to college at UT-San Antonio, but his athletic focus was track.

A world-class sprinter, Williams ran a wind-aided 100 meters in 9.9 seconds in 2009. At 6-foot-3, 198 pounds, he also has excellent size and if ever the word "potential" applied to anyone, it's Williams.

But don't tell him that.

"They're expecting a lot out of me and they're expecting me to be able to come and be an impact on the team and be able to help the team get where they're trying to go," Williams said of Cowboys coaches. "So they believe in me a lot and I believe in myself a lot."

At best, the Cowboys are hoping Williams can adapt well enough to make the practice squad this season. And if his football IQ should prove to be exceptional, then perhaps he can ultimately develop into a player.

Right now, however, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Williams is in training camp for obvious reasons.

"He's got three things," Jones said. "Speed and I forgot the other two."

Kicker booted

The Cowboys made it official: It's David Buehler or bust. Delbert Alvarado, the only other kicker in camp, was released Thursday when the Cowboys added former UT-San Antonio sprinter Teddy Williams.

The Cowboys also released defensive end Lorenzo Washington (hamstring) and signed defensive tackle Jimmy Sadler-McQueen, who played in college at Texas A&M-Kingsville. Sadler-McQueen was released by the Chicago Bears in April

Buehler boots well

David Buehler responded well to the release of the only other kicker in camp by going 6-for-6 Thursday. The Cowboys worked on shorter kicks and all were 30 yards or less, but those are the kicks that have to be automatic.

"It's good when the field-goal kicker doesn't miss any," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips deadpanned. "That makes you more confident. He's been working at it. I do think he's gifted. He obviously has a strong leg, but he has a smooth delivery of the ball. When he hits it, he doesn't hit a hook. His is straight and end-over-end and those are the kind that are the best candidates for field-goal kickers."

Buehler finished first in the NFL with 29 touchbacks on kickoffs last year, but Phillips said the kicker has been even better in camp.

Marty B back

Wade Phillips said tight end Martellus Bennett, who has yet to practice, is healthy enough to begin practicing today. Bennett, sprained an ankle before camp began.

"He'll probably be limited some," Phillips said. "But he's moving around well and he will start practicing."

Top Bottom