Getting To Know: Brandon Sharpe
Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Position: Inside Linebacker
Height / Weight: 6-3 / 254
College: Texas Tech
NFL Exp: Rookie
How Acquired: FA-'10

Fitting In: Sharpe played defensive end at Texas Tech, but the Cowboys have him practicing at inside linebacker. He filled the roster spot of linebacker Jay Moore, who failed to report to training camp after signing a deal with the Cowboys. Sharpe said it feels great to be with the Cowboys and wear the star on his helmet.

So Far: On his first snap ever at inside linebacker, he thumped running back Tashard Choice to the ground in Monday's practice. He said it was wide open but didn't try to hit him hard. Also, his teammates have already taken to him including fellow rookie linebacker Sean Lee who was helping him line up correctly in practice. Sharpe said all of the linebackers communicate with him and help him out wherever he needs.

Best Asset: His ability to rush the quarterback. At Texas Tech he set the school single-season record for sacks with his 14th and 15th in the win over Baylor. Even owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the reasoning for acquiring Sharpe was because he likes the way he gets after the quarterback. He also compared him to fellow Red Raider Brandon Williams, second-year linebacker, and how they both have shown good pass rushing ability.

You Should Know: Sharpe is familiar with the confines of the Alamodome. Had four tackles in a 41-31 victory against Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl in January, including two for a loss. Sharpe also hurried Spartans quarterback Kirk Cousins four times in the game.

A Mouthful: About his hit on Choice: "I didn't try to hit him hard but I just tried to get him a bit so he can recognize me, get my name repeated around here. I'm the new "Sharpe" boy in town. I'm going to work hard so I can stay."

Top Bottom