Reaction score
By Mike Reiss and Todd Archer
ESPNBoston.com, ESPNDallas.com

After 11 seasons with the New England Patriots, strength and conditioning coach Mike Woicik could be headed back to the Dallas Cowboys, sources told ESPNDallas and ESPNBoston.

Woicik is scheduled to fly in to Dallas Wednesday to talk to the Cowboys.

Woicik is the only player or coach with six Super Bowl rings, having won three with Dallas (1992, '94-95) and three with Patriots (2001, '03-04). He was the Cowboys strength coach from 1990-96 before spending the next three years in New Orleans. The Cowboys were 89-38 during his seven seasons, including 12 playoff wins.

A Massachusetts native, he joined the Patriots in 2000 when Bill Belichick took over as coach.

Woicik's contract with the Patriots was set to expire after the 2010 season, according to sources, and the sides have not reached an extension. That has opened the door for him to land elsewhere. Woicik has a connection with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, as Woicik was the strength coach in Dallas during Garrett's first four seasons as a backup quarterback with the club.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James could not confirm Woicik's contract status.

Woicik, 54, was named the NFL's Strength Coach of the Year in 1992 and 2004 by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Society.

Joe Juraszek has been the Cowboys' strength and conditioning coach since Woicik's departure, reuniting with Barry Switzer and continuing through the tenures of Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips.

He missed most of the second half of the 2010 season with what was described as a "personal illness situation," according to the team. His assistant, Tony Ollison, took over the bulk of the work in Juraszek's absence.

Todd Archer covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com. Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
When these names pop up, I find myself hoping that they are DB coaches.

sbk92

Reaction score
I tried my hand as a S&C coach but I couldn't relate to people who didn't share my God given strength and desire.

Like Emmitt Smith teaching running backs.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You weren't familiar with Woicik?

You're not even a real Cowboys fan.

Lulz

When you're on the main forum page you can't see the last name.

Cr122 wants you to go shit in a hat.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Like I wouldn't remember this guy.

Ok. I don't remember this guy.

Reaction score
Joe has done a decent job while here. I guess his wife having full blown Aids (according to sdogo) is going to keep him away for a while.

sdogo

Reaction score
Joe has done a decent job while here. I guess his wife having full blown Aids (according to sdogo) is going to keep him away for a while.
I dont want to give out false information so I wanted to update my statement but I was just informed while his wife is being treated at Texas Cancer Center her health is not the reason for his absence and it's not likely he will return. I'm sorry I cant give out more but yeah, we are flat out looking for his replacement. Not a fill in. His time is done in Dallas.

sbk92

Reaction score
Strength coach Mike Woicik likely to return to Cowboys

Gerry Fraley / Reporter

New England strength and conditioning coach Mike Woicik is expected to return to the Dallas Cowboys.

Woicik is scheduled to meet with the Cowboys on Wednesday, according to a league source. Joe Juraszek, the club's strength and conditioning coach since 1997, missed the last half of the 2010 season because of what the club called a personal medical situation.

Woicik, brought in by former head coach Jimmy Johnson, was with the Cowboys for the Super Bowl victories in the 1992-93 and '95 seasons. He was with the Patriots for Super Bowl wins in the 2001 and 2003-04 seasons.

Woicik's contract with New England expired after this season. The Patriots are undergoing a staff shuffle.

Woicik has a fierce approach that includes challenging players to push themselves. If he returns, it will be the most telling sign yet that head coach Jason Garrett is changing the culture that has surrounded this team.

sbk92

Reaction score
Another quality addition.

Now get me a quality WR, OL and DB coach and I'll toast to the new staff.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I tried my hand as a S&C coach but I couldn't relate to people who didn't share my God given strength and desire.

Like Emmitt Smith teaching running backs.

Skipped right over this nugget. lol

This is why I love the Internet. You meet amazingly gifted people that otherwise you wouldn't get to. I'm searching for something about myself that would be worthy of sharing with you guys.

I can swim the length of my uncles swimming pool while holding my breath.

sbk92

Reaction score
Garrett Trained Under Woicik In '90s

Posted by jellis at 2/9/2011 2:57 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

With new defensive line coach Brian Baker officially under contract, the Cowboys on Wednesday turned their attention to finding a new strength and conditioning coach, focusing on Mike Woicik of the New England Patriots.

In two decades as an NFL strength coach, Woicik owns six Super Bowl rings. He was with the Cowboys from 1990-96, overseeing the training for the team's dynasty, then moved on to the Saints from 1997-99. He joined Bill Belichick in New England in 2000, and repeated the three Super Bowls in four years trick there.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett was a backup quarterback for the team while Woicik was in charge of the offseason program and strength work. He was also with the Cowboys early in the tenure of Joe Juraszek, the team's current strength and conditioning coach who is currently on a medical leave of absence.

Woicik has twice won the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Society's Coach of the Year Award. He first earned the honor in 1992, the first of the Cowboys' three Super Bowl seasons, and again in 2004, after the Pats won their third title.

Though the Cowboys aren't ready to announce any agreement, Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reported Wednesday that the Patriots are set to lose Woicik, whose contract with the team has expired.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Another quality addition.

Now get me a quality WR, OL and DB coach and I'll toast to the new staff.

They apparently are looking for a new DB coach. We'll obviously have a new WR coach. Garrett has made several excellent moves and bringing back Woicik would be a great move.

Apparently he doesnt share your opinion of Houck.

sbk92

Reaction score
They apparently are looking for a new DB coach. We'll obviously have a new WR coach. Garrett has made several excellent moves and bringing back Woicik would be a great move.

Apparently he doesnt share your opinion of Houck.

Yeah but he at least wants to make Houck the run game coordinator and bring in an assistant OL coach. I'd like to think that's step one of a plan to phase him out of Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah but he at least wants to make Houck the run game coordinator and bring in an assistant OL coach. I'd like to think that's step one of a plan to phase him out of Dallas.

I'm sure Houck has probably discussed the future with him. I'd bet 2011 is his last season.

Top Bottom