sbk92

Reaction score
Rainer Sabin / Reporter

As Jimmy Johnson has watched his former team from afar, he has admired the approach Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has taken to improve the team's preparation. Reintroducing full-pad practices on Wednesdays was one of Garrett's first initiatives, which Johnson praised and said should continue next season.

"I believe being a little more physical in training camp will help," added Johnson, who coached Garrett when the former quarterback joined the Cowboys in 1992. "I think if you practice in sweats, you get sloppy."

Johnson said the benefits from absorbing contact are tangible, pointing to the fact that players who practice in more adverse conditions tend to be more sound fundamentally, exhibit a heightened level of aggressiveness and execute better in the game.

"We practiced in pads Wednesdays and Thursdays and were in shoulder pads on Fridays," he said. "I was rigid on my deal."

And the payoff was tremendous. With Johnson in command, the Cowboys laid the foundation for a dynasty that yielded three Super Bowl victories in four seasons.

Reaction score
You perform the way you practice. I think that applies to virtually every aspect in life.

It blows my mind that Wade let his team get as soft as he did.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You perform the way you practice. I think that applies to virtually every aspect in life.

It blows my mind that Wade let his team get as soft as he did.

It blows my mind that we won any games ever with him.

I guess it took a few years for the atrophy from Big Bill's exit to finally set in.

C

Cr122

And just think some of you guys were glad to have a coach like Wade Phillips.

I couldn't stand the hire from the start, I wanted pit face first.

sbk92

Reaction score
And just think some of you guys were glad to have a coach like Wade Phillips.

I couldn't stand the hire from the start, I wanted pit face first.

Norv Turner wouldn't have changed anything.

You're laughing at others supporting a loser while pumping your chest that you supported another loser.

C

Cr122

Norv Turner wouldn't have changed anything.

You're laughing at others supporting a loser while pumping your chest that you supported another loser.

I still believe Turner would of done a better job, he came from the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree.

What other options were there? There weren't any.

sbk92

Reaction score
I still believe Turner would of done a better job, he came from the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree.

There were plenty of options, including the guy who just took the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games.

Don't let Jerry Jones fool you into thinking Wade Phillips and Norv Turner were the top two coaches available.

C

Cr122

There were plenty of options, including the guy who just took the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games.

Don't let Jerry Jones fool you into thinking Wade Phillips and Norv Turner were the top two coaches available.

You know I would of loved to have Rex Ryan.

Refresh my memory why didn't we interview him?

sbk92

Reaction score
You know I would of loved to have Rex Ryan.

Refresh my memory why didn't we interview him?

Because we have an insane owner who wants to micromanage everything himself.

Once Parcells bolted, he ran back to his old ways. Hence the "coaching search" that led to two bums like Wade Phillips and Norv Turner.

C

Cr122

Because we have an insane owner who wants to micromanage everything himself.

Once Parcells bolted, he ran back to his old ways. Hence the "coaching search" that led to two bums like Wade Phillips and Norv Turner.

Fair enough.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I liked the hiring of Wade because I saw the sense in it. Jerry wanted a dominating defense because that's where most of the resources have gone to. Esp. in the draft.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I remember pumping Rex Ryan and alot of people were hot for Ron Rivera at the time.

sbk92

Reaction score
I liked the hiring of Wade because I saw the sense in it. Jerry wanted a dominating defense because that's where most of the resources have gone to. Esp. in the draft.

You saw the sense in it because you're a moron.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's right, we didn't want an attacking 3-4 defense, my bad.

You don't bring in a weak willed head coach simply because you want an attacking defense. That's idiotic. And it was proven so.

But it made sense to you.

So....do the math.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jerry basically set up the team with two coordinators and no head coach. Showing once again his complete lack of respect for the position of head coach. And then watched it flop before his eyes once again.

But hey, I saw the sense in it.

C

Cr122

I remember pumping Rex Ryan and alot of people were hot for Ron Rivera at the time.

Rex Ryan would've been a great hire, but obviously Jerry thought more of Wade.

It's retarded logic, I know. Ryan wasn't even mentioned if I recall.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You don't bring in a weak willed head coach simply because you want an attacking defense. That's idiotic. And it was proven so.

But it made sense to you.

So....do the math.

Jerry basically set up the team with two coordinators and no head coach. Showing once again his complete lack of respect for the position of head coach. And then watched it flop before his eyes once again.

But hey, I saw the sense in it.

This is convoluted logic at it's finest. You're blaming Jerry for hiring a "coordinator" to be a head coach, when Rex Ryan was a coordinator?

At least Wade had been a head coach.

Not all successful coordinators are going to find Rex Ryan success as a head coach. Some are just Dave Campos.

The biggest issue that I had with the Jerry Jones/Wade Phillips relationship, was not letting him go after that Philadelphia Eagles debacle at the end of '08.

Last edited:

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rex Ryan would've been a great hire, but obviously Jerry thought more of Wade.

It's retarded logic, I know. Ryan wasn't even mentioned if I recall.

He wasn't getting interviews anywhere, which I couldn't believe at the time. I remember writing the post, lol. I figured there must be something about him that the owners hated because he coached a top 5 defense every year and couldn't get a look anywhere.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He wasn't getting interviews anywhere, which I couldn't believe at the time. I remember writing the post, lol. I figured there must be something about him that the owners hated because he coached a top 5 defense every year and couldn't get a look anywhere.

Apparently Ryans are bad interviewees. Or were.

I think it was a matter of them finally toning down their verbosity.

Top Bottom