sbk92

Reaction score
Jeff Sullivan
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Four or five years back, was writing some college football previews on the Big 12 and the Pac-10. Decided to focus on the importance of defensive positions, i.e., if each defensive coordinator could have a top-tier unit, which would it be? Linemen, linebackers or secondary. A few of the answers were the typical Coachspeak: "They're all important, each makes the next stronger and we're taking it one day at a time." Despite the fact these interviews took place in April and May, it was still, most definitely, one day, one play at a time. Some coaches are literally breathing robots when it comes to answering questions from reporters.

However, at least 15 of those asked, said unquestionably, without hesitation, the linemen, or more importantly, the pass rush. Every aspect of a defense starts with the pass rush and the containment of the front against the run. A few coaches said flat out, there is no such thing as a strong secondary without a strong pass rush. This has really changed my thinking on defenses since.

There are three defensive minds in the NFL who, while I have never had the opportunity to ask them, most certainly agree with this thought process. They are Don Capers and Rex and Rob Ryan. Bill Belichick, too, but not quite on their level in terms of the cornerback blitzes. No corner in the league has blitzed more the last two years than Charles Woodson. And the Jets and Browns sent multiple members of the secondary early and often this season. This is the defensive mentality Rob Ryan is going to bring to Dallas. Expect to see much less of DeMarcus Ware dropping back into coverage, which he did nearly 50 percent of passing downs this season, which makes him leading the league in sacks all the more remarkable.

The basics, the most basic aspect of the Buddy Ryan defensive philosophy which Rex and Rob were raised on is this: Stop the run, force the pass, and pressure the pass. Load the front, leave the secondary to do what it does, single coverage more often than not, take risk and run around like the Energizer Bunny on three Red Bulls and a Snickers bar.

A few free agents the Bald Head would LOVE to see the Cowboys make a run at this offseason: Rams S Dawan Landry, strong tackler against the run, little bit in that Darren Woodson-mold, Steelers CB Ike Taylor, Eagles S Quintin Mikell, Vikings DE Ray Edwards, Packers DE Cullen Jenkins, Chargers FB/RB Mike Tolbert, and while it would be a luxury, Seahawks KR/RB Leon Washington. Sign two or three of those guys, have a strong draft and this team is right there in 2011.

Didn't include Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha or Patriots G Logan Mankins because more than likely both would be too expensive with the team's salary cap situation. Was thinking they should make a run at Mankins earlier this offseason, but am hearing he wants Monopoly money. Just crazy numbers, more than Asomugha who was making, what, $17-18 million last season. Am guessing in terms of real dough, not the deal that will be announced, that neither will see more than $12 mil per.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Ray Edwards is someone I'd like to see us bring in to compete with Spencer at OLB.. The only problem with that is he'll probably be asking for quite a bit of money and we're not exactly guaranteeing him a starting spot.

Reaction score
I bet this was a great article.

I wouldn't know though. The first two sentences annoyed the living shit out of me and I quit reading.

You guys noticed how I used the word "I" in the above sentences? Cool, eh?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
... would LOVE to see the Cowboys make a run at this offseason: Rams S Dawan Landry, strong tackler against the run, little bit in that Darren Woodson-mold, ...

DING DING DING. Winner!

(Although he plays for the Ravens, not the Rams)

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ray Edwards is someone I'd like to see us bring in to compete with Spencer at OLB.. The only problem with that is he'll probably be asking for quite a bit of money and we're not exactly guaranteeing him a starting spot.

I'd leave Ray Edwards alone. He has been trying to inflate his self-worth from last year when he whipped up on Colombo. He plays opposite of Jared Allen and has the William Wall and yet could only muster 8 sacks. No thank you. And he will have to learn being a 3-4 OLB, and Spencer is already ahead of him on the curve, so it really would not be any competition.

Cythim

Reaction score
I bet this was a great article.

I wouldn't know though. The first two sentences annoyed the living shit out of me and I quit reading.

You guys noticed how I used the word "I" in the above sentences? Cool, eh?

His editor told him not to write in first person so he just deleted the I's.

Top Bottom