C

Cr122

Back To Work
Brewster Adjusting After Long Layoff
Chris Beesley
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - For one of the Cowboys, this week marked the first time to put on a football uniform in 18 months.

It also happened to be his first time as a professional.

Offensive tackle Robert Brewster, a third-round pick last year, hadn't dressed in full gear since the Texas vs. The Nation college all-star game in January of 2009. He tore a pectoral muscle during summer workouts, causing him to miss all of last season. The transition wasn't easy for a player who never missed a game in college.

"I really didn't feel like a part of the team because I wasn't really out here," Brewster said. "I felt like I was just back in the shadows. I felt like they drafted me, and I wasn't doing what they needed me to do."

He said his pectoral muscle feels "100 percent" now and hasn't bothered him at all during training camp. While recovering from his injury, Brewster was able to spend a lot of time getting in better shape by working out with strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek. He weighed 347 pounds when he joined the team, but is currently at a leaner 319 pounds.

"I'm starting to lose my gut and I'm getting more muscle than fat," Brewster said. "Everybody says, when I go home, I look like a totally different man."

The coaching staff and Brewster both said they believe his weight loss will improve his on-field production.

"I think he has to get used to (being lighter), but I think it's helped his quickness," Phillips said. "He's still a real strong overall blocker. On the right side, he's pretty comfortable right now."

As an offensive tackle, Brewster isn't at a position where he can expect the spotlight to be on him. But his return to health has taken him out of the shadows, and he said he's taking advantage of it by trying to improve everyday.

"I'm just glad to be back on this field with a helmet on and shoulder pads," Brewster said. "It really feels good to get back to playing football, and doing what I love to do."

C

Cr122

Having Brewster back this year healthy, could help our depth out at the guard position at least.

Hopefully he's not just another bust, I didn't have much faith in this guy when we drafted him.

Top Bottom