sbk92

Reaction score
Happy trails to LeBeau?

Within our review of the Arizona Cardinals' options for their next defensive coordinator, we referred to the fact that Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler -- a potential candidate, as Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt has indicated he wants to run a Dick LeBeau-style defense -- was apparently off limits, as he was contracted to become the Steelers' next defensive coordinator once LeBeau moved on. In a strange twist, the Cardinals won't have to target LeBeau's protege, they'll get to go after the man himself.

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and NFL Insider Adam Schefter have reported that LeBeau's contract is up after this season. And if he doesn't retire or return to Pittsburgh, the dynamic duo note, he may wind up in the desert.

Of course, the Cardinals aren't the only team looking for a new DC. The Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders and Tennessee Titans are all in the market as well. As we know, LeBeau runs a 3-4 scheme, and each of those teams has run a four-man front for some time. But each has also been linked in rumors to at least one DC candidate with a 3-4 background. The door isn't closed in Nashville or Oakland, but LeBeau did comment Sunday night that, "if I'm in the state of Pennsylvania (next season), I'm going to be in Pittsburgh," per Jonathan Tamari of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I've always thought highly of LeBeau as a coordinator. After being at the HOF presentation this past year in Canton he garnered even more of my respect and I wouldn't hesitate to consider him the best coordinator in the game at the moment. His presentation,speech, and the fact the whole Steelers team came to his induction was top notch. The guy is a class act all the way. Tomlin may get the hype but IMO LeBeau is the straw that stirs that drink. You take him out of the equation and the Steelers are not close to sniffing three SuperBowls in 6 years. If they let him escape to coach another team their fools.

Reaction score
I've always thought highly of LeBeau as a coordinator. After being at the HOF presentation this past year in Canton he garnered even more of my respect and I wouldn't hesitate to consider him the best coordinator in the game at the moment. His presentation,speech, and the fact the whole Steelers team came to his induction was top notch. The guy is a class act all the way. Tomlin may get the hype but IMO LeBeau is the straw that stirs that drink. You take him out of the equation and the Steelers are not close to sniffing three SuperBowls in 6 years. If they let him escape to coach another team their fools.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly..

The Steelers are a machine.

No HC, no DC, no OC is gonna disrupt them or their ways. They plug N play players, coaches, scouts and other FO personnel.

As long as the Rooney's run that machine nothing will change (sort of like here in Cowboy Land ouch)

Plymkr

Reaction score

No HC, no DC, no OC is gonna disrupt them or their ways. They plug N play players, coaches, scouts and other FO personnel.

As long as the Rooney's run that machine nothing will change (sort of like here in Cowboy Land ouch)

Stealers might "be" a machine.

But, the Head Mechanic is LeBeau.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

They plugged-n-play HCs and OCs, but during their Super Bowl run the past 6 years Le Beau has forever been the constant. You do not need much offense when you have a LeBeau-coached defense. I bet alot of people thought that the Eagles could plug-n-play with coaches, but we saw what happened when Jim Johnson succumbed.

sbk92

Reaction score
They plugged-n-play HCs and OCs, but during their Super Bowl run the past 6 years Le Beau has forever been the constant. You do not need much offense when you have a LeBeau-coached defense. I bet alot of people thought that the Eagles could plug-n-play with coaches, but we saw what happened when Jim Johnson succumbed.

What happened? The Eagles are the same playoff team they were with Jim Johnson. It's not like they won Super Bowls back then.

And they got the toughest matchup possible in the first round this year. Playing the NFC champ Green Bay Packers. Any other matchup and they're at least in the divisional round.

sbk92

Reaction score
Laughable. As good as LeBeau is, he pales in comparison to the GM acquiring the players.

You want to talk about design engineer? That's the guy.

Reaction score
If you could've paired the 2010 Eagles offense with a Jim Johnson coached defense, the Eagles would've been going to the Super Bowl.

It was Jim Johnson's defenses that carried the Eagles for the past 10 years, not McNabb or Reids offenses.

Mr.Po

Reaction score

The Steelers are an entity when it come to the landscape of the NFL. A rock solid sound foundation run by a stable and successful Rooney family. I wasn't referring to the past as more to the present state of the Steelers. Tomlin may garner more attention but enough cant be said for what LeBeau does for that defense. The old adage is defense wins championships and it's never been more true than the current state of the Steelers.

He was coordinator for their SB team of 95 before leaving for other opportunities. They had some successful years in his absence but no SuperBowl appearances. He returned in 2004 as coordinator and now have been to the big game 3 out of the last 6 years during his return tenure. Coincidence.............maybe? You have to have players to make it all work and the Steelers sure do a fine job of finding the right personnel to fit their needs. Cant deny the obvious. Still some one has to put them in a position to succeed and there is none better than LeBeau.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, ok

Top Bottom