sbk92

Reaction score
Cowboys Mailbag

Is it time to second guess the decision to release Flozell Adams since he could be back in Dallas for the Super Bowl?

TIM HEVENER - STAUNTON, VA: Flozell Adams has to be laughing his head off that he could be back in Dallas to win a Super Bowl. Is it time to second guess the decision to release him?

Nick: Well I must say I'm probably up to about 14th-guessing at this point. I never thought it was a good move to cut Flozell. I still thought he was one of the team's top two tackles. That still looks to be the case. Now, I didn't expect Doug Free to play so well on the left side. But with Marc Colombo's injury issues after last season, it didn't make sense to cut Flozell and hope Colombo would be 100 percent, which he really wasn't. So yeah, I'm happy for Flozell and hope the Steelers advance to the Super Bowl and win it, really just because of him.

Rob: Can't say I saw enough to evaluate Flo this year. I did see Terrell Suggs blow past him last week and force a fumble that the Ravens recovered for a touchdown. But I still think Adams could have helped the Cowboys this year, or at least provided better depth. The issue was, they detected decline in his play, they wanted to play Doug Free, they thought Marc Colombo would come back healthy and effective, and the uncapped year provided unique salary-dumping opportunity.

Josh: Oh, so we're just now second-guessing that move? I think everyone realized when it was done that it was a risky proposition, because the guy can still play. Now, is he among the most dominant tackles in the game? No. Is he better than Doug Free? No. But is he better than Marc Colombo? Maybe. The problem was Flo was older, he cost more, and they really liked the way Colombo had played before getting hurt in 2009. Maybe they were wrong to think he would easily be able to get back to that.

STACY CREWS - MOUNTAIN HOME, AR: If Alabama running back Mark Ingram was available with ninth pick, wouldn't he be a perfect fit for Dallas?

Nick: Nah, I don't think so. This team has too many other needs to fill with that No. 9 pick. I'm not sure you need to take a RB that high, especially if he's not special. I could be wrong, but I don't look at Ingram and think "special." This offense ranked seventh last year. The defense was 23rd. I'm thinking you address that side of the ball in some way.

Rob: Again, it depends on value relative to the Cowboys' draft board. But based on need, the only offensive position that really qualifies that high in the first round is the line.

Josh: I'll give the same answer I gave when A.J. Green was brought up Thursday: Absolutely not. There's just no reason. I think he's going to be a really good NFL player, but I also think Felix Jones is good. And along with Tashard Choice and maybe another back later on in the draft, they will have a decent running game if the offensive line can open some holes for them. So again, the only offensive position I would draft early in the line.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'll never understand why we didn't think he could be a better RT than Colombo.

That shows a glaring lack of ability from the talent evaluators in the front office.

C

Cr122

That shows a glaring lack of ability from the talent evaluators in the front office.

I thought for sure we were going to try him at RT.

But apparently Jerry knew better than us.

Cythim

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry thought he was too expensive to keep at RT? It doesn't matter, he is 35 and would need replacing soon. Maybe we would be going to the Super Bowl this year if we moved him to RT but I doubt that.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
it was probably time for Flozell to go but I'm tired of us cutting guys, with no compensation for us, and they end up being starters immediately for someone else. Flozell goes and starts for the Steelers, Roy starts for the Bengals, Greg Ellis starts for the Raiders, etc. Not stars but they all ended up starting the next season.

I think we are way too public with our player personnel issues. Teams know we will cut players and we hardly ever work out trades. I'm not talking huge trades. I'm talking mid round draft picks. The Raiders give away picks like nothing and we can't even get a 5th rounder for Ellis, who ended up starting for them???

At least we got something for Crayton but we were a little arrogant in the McQuistan trade. We should move these guys for conditional picks but the conditions should be how many games they start.

GM continues to be our biggest handicap and for many more reasons than just this.

sbk92

Reaction score
GM continues to be our biggest handicap and for many more reasons than just this.

Yep.

We've been operating with one hand tied behind our back for 17 years now. Trying to win despite of our GM.

I envy teams that are run the right way.

sbk92

Reaction score
And to make it worse, we don't even have a real VP of Personnel in his ear to steer him in the right direction. That guy's a fake too.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
The only reason Flozell has even been playing in Pittsburgh lately is because of injury. And he's been getting whipped at the line of scrimmage.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score

20/20 hindsight is great. Nobody knew that Colombo would injure himself beyond repair in training camp.

sbk92

Reaction score
The only reason Flozell has even been playing in Pittsburgh lately is because of injury. And he's been getting whipped at the line of scrimmage.

He's started all year.

And he's been vastly superior to Marc Colombo. Like he's been his entire career.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score

It was as much to do with underestimating the knee issues that Colombo had.

But there's also the possibility that Colombo wasn't above board with the extent of his issues either.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
When the next football season commences there will be a salary cap. And maybe one that was even smaller than the one that existed in 2009. The fact is to carry the size of Adams' contract into the the next CBA would have been ludicrous.

Yeah Colombo sucked, but the offense was still electric. The reason this team was 6-10 wasn't because Colombo was starting at RT and Adams wasn't.

sbk92

Reaction score
It was as much to do with underestimating the knee issues that Colombo had.

But there's also the possibility that Colombo wasn't above board with the extent of his issues either.

It has everything to do with the Cowboys having a GM with no ability to evaluate talent.

sbk92

Reaction score
When the next football season commences there will be a salary cap. And maybe one that was even smaller than the one that existed in 2009. The fact is to carry the size of Adams' contract into the the next CBA would have been ludicrous.

Yeah Colombo sucked, but the offense was still electric. The reason this team was 6-10 wasn't because Colombo was starting at RT and Adams wasn't.

There are far worse contracts on this team. To try to claim it was some shrewd cost cutting move in anticipation of a highly unlikely smaller salary cap is ridiculous.

The single biggest reason why we were 6-10 this year is Jerry and Wade. The next biggest reason is a complete lack of talent along the entire offensive line. With the worst player on that line being Marc Colombo.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
There are far worse contracts on this team. To try to claim it was some shrewd cost cutting move in anticipation of a highly unlikely smaller salary cap is ridiculous.

The single biggest reason why we were 6-10 this year is Jerry and Wade. The next biggest reason is a complete lack of talent along the entire offensive line. With the worst player on that line being Marc Colombo.

Like who's contract?

Who else was 30+ with as big a contract as Adams who deserved to be cut?

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Barber has the worst contract on the team. Roy's contract is much worse. So is Newman's.

Barber was what 26?

Roy was also less than 30 and there was no financial incentive to cut him. His money was guaranteed.

Newman is also younger than Adams, his level of play was higher and there was no "Doug Free" to replace him.

That being said, what are the chances that two of the three above players won't be playing another game for the Dallas Cowboys? Pretty high I'd say.

You can't cut them all at once.

sbk92

Reaction score
Barber was what 26?

Roy was also less than 30 and there was no financial incentive to cut him. His money was guaranteed.

Newman is also younger than Adams, his level of play was higher and there was no "Doug Free" to replace him.

Doesn't matter.

The job of a GM, a real one, is to field the most talented team possible. Not to fill it with young guys. Barber is a bum. If he's not the most over paid player in the league, he's in the top 5. So is Roy Williams. Newman at least deserves an honorable mention. Probably more. Any cost cutting movement needs to start with them.

And last I checked, offensive linemen play well into their 30s at a high level of play. The same can not be said for RBs, WRs or CBs.

You can spin it however you want it. The simple truth is the Cowboys have their personnel moves decided by an oil salesman. He doesn't know who can and can't play. He's got no personnel background.

We didn't release Adams for financial reasons. We did it to free up a spot for Doug Free. Which is fine. But you don't release a still productive player when you have complete dog shat at RT.

It was just yet another horrific decision from the con man.

Top Bottom