Reaction score
In Rob Ryan, Jason Garrett Finds a Coordinator As Fast as He Is

Posted by Rafael at Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jason Garrett wants a fast football team. The biggest initial change to appear once he took over from Wade Phillips involved pace. He practiced faster. He practiced harder. He urged his men to work mid-week at the same place they would play on Sunday. The urgency translated onto the field -- his Cowboys scored 27 or more points in their first seven contests.

Garrett's new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan probably sealed his job by selling increased pace on defense.

On page 3 of a recent Ravens coaching clinic presentation on their style of 3-4, brother Rex Ryan's case for the 3-4 is made in several points. The front creates increased confusion, because it offers more rush options for the offensive line to prepare for. The Ryan 3-4 presents a mobile front which can line up in a straight up 2-gap look, or shift to a shaded look, the front Wade Phillips presented the majority of his snaps, and an attacking, slanting look.

In those bullet points sits a point which will answer a question many Dallas fans have asked for years:

"A dominant nose can control a game -- increased pressure on the center.''
This is a 3-4 maxim straight out of papa Buddy Ryan's 46 scheme. The elder Ryan took his best defensive lineman and parked him over the center. He reasoned the center was often the weakest lineman and putting your best man over him created a major mismatch at the point closes to the quarterback. Ryan did this in Chicago, moving DT Dan Hampton to nose tackle in the 46 and he did this in Philadelphia, sliding DE Reggie White inside, where he terrorized centers.

In Dallas, Ryan will have interior rusher extraordinaire Jay Ratliff, whose 17 sacks the past three years top all interior linemen, 3-4 or 4-3 players.

Ryan stresses disguise, a quality lacking in Phillips' '10 incarnation, whose blitzes seemed telegraphed and obvious to opponents, especially those in the division. The Ryan 3-4 uses a four man rush as its default, but will work five man "fire zone'' blitzes and use lots more pressure from corners and safeties. It will use the outside rushers like Demarcus Ware most of the time, but will change up from time to time. With four men as a default, look for Ware and Anthony Spencer to play more with their hands down, even when starting in a base 3-4 look. The emphasis on rushing from the ends suggests that the top DEs we've discussed in our draft talks all fall may be even more important to Dallas' defensive plans.

The philosophical mesh comes in the Ryan practice philosophy. See if you spot similarities with Garrett's preparation methods in these bullet points from that same presentation:

•If your players cannot RUN, are not trained to DEFEAT BLOCKS and TACKLE, the best schemes in the world are worthless.
•Create a fast practice tempo -- no wasted time!
•Coach effort. Never accept anything less than great effort. Reward hustle/punish loafing!
•Stress Tempo! Playing Fast! Play on our terms!

The next Cowboys training camp, whenever it comes, will likely be the hottest, fastest environment since Jimmy Johnson left.

Better get that camp donation fund going...

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Man... this is the best piece write-up so far. I wonder as to whether these players know what they are in for?

This somewhat answers your question about Spencer. Evidently he is in the plans. Also from reading, one would think that they will draft a DE in the 1st. And apparently, Ratlidff will still man the NT spot.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Words, just words. But, that is all we can have for now I guess..

As far as the players knowing what they are in for? I hope they take to it. I really don't see the older vets doing it though. Seriously need some young new blood on the defense IMO. So, they can thrive on this type of coaching and practicing.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Words, just words. But, that is all we can have for now I guess..

As far as the players knowing what they are in for? I hope they take to it. I really don't see the older vets doing it though. Seriously need some young new blood on the defense IMO. So, they can thrive on this type of coaching and practicing.

And yet you bitched about the words, just words from Jerry and Wade, and then wnat to admonish us for showing some excitement fronm Rob.

Plymkr

Reaction score
And yet you bitched about the words, just words from Jerry and Wade, and then wnat to admonish us for showing some excitement fronm Rob.

Blow me. All I have heard from this Dallas team the past few years is words. Have your hard for Ryan, great. I still think better players need to be on defense and offense.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Blow me. All I have heard from this Dallas team the past few years is words. Have your hard for Ryan, great. I still think better players need to be on defense and offense.

Jerry said that Garrett would have final say on staff and players---those were words, and so far he's held true to them.

Garrett said that this is going to be a much more physical and quicker-paced training camp---I know, just words, and because some of us are excited about it, we all got a hard on for Garrett. Whatever bitch.

And yes, better players on defense and offense will help, but it's a start to have a DC that has some attitude, and strategy to his defense.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Laz.

Jason Garrett having "final say"? I will believe that when it happens. I surely hope it does.

And, still doesn't change the fact that it has been nothing but words and not enough back up to those words that is frustrating from these Cowboys.

I tell it like it is my man, some can handle it, some can't.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Laz.

Jason Garrett having "final say"? I will believe that when it happens. I surely hope it does.

And, still doesn't change the fact that it has been nothing but words and not enough back up to those words that is frustrating from these Cowboys.

I tell it like it is my man, some can handle it, some can't.

Well the Rob Ryan hire is as much an indication that Garrett had first and final say. So what, for now they are words. So why continue to bitch about said words? Why even bother to read when by your own admission they are just words and they frustrate you? Why even bother to post a comment. Go stuff yourself with a pad and take some Midol.

sbk92

Reaction score
I agree that words mean nothing. Especially from a liar like Jerry Jones. However, pay attention. I haven't seen anything yet that indicates Garrett isn't making these decisions.

Would Jerry Jones release Ray Sherman? No. No way.

Would Jerry want to bring in Rob Ryan, the very opposite of a yes man? Not a chance.

All the assistant names trace back to Garrett or Ryan.

Maybe if schlubs like Dave Campo are retained you can make the case that Jerry had some input.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Like I stated before PMS boy got all butthurt.

IF Jason is calling the shots? GREAT!!

I just don't trust nor believe in Jerry Jones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom