Reaction score
Jason Witten: Jason Garrett 'gave me a pretty good shove. It knocked me back a little bit'

Posted at 1:11 PM on Thu., Jan. 13, 2011 | Permalink
SportsDayDFW sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten joined the Bad Radio show on The Ticket following the end of the regular season. Here are some highlights.

On why Jason Garrett is the right person to be head coach of the Cowboys:

"I feel the way I do and I know a lot of guys feel the same way in the locker room. We've heard a lot of what they've said and you guys heard a lot of what they said. And I think it's just because we've seen it day in and day out. We understand what expectations are. But really, the expectations are what are on the inside of that building not on the outside and what people think. I think he's done a great job of laying that out. And it goes farther back then just these eight weeks when he's been the head coach. I think it goes back to since he was a part of this organization. The people know what he's about and his mind set. He's had one of the best offenses in the league as coordinator. And when he got his opportunity he took advantage of it as head coach. I don't know any other way to say it, his mentality when you walk into that locker room on Wednesday morning and you are 1-7, I mean I'll never forget that feeling. I mean, how he handled himself, how he presented it and really took that opportunity and ran with it. You leave that meeting, and you're 1-7, and everybody's all in moving forward. It wasn't perfect, but we won five out of the last eight and there were some tough plays there where you could say we probably should've won seven of those eight. And I think he deserves a lot of that credit. Us as players went out and executed and he gave us that foundation to go out there and be able to be successful. And that's what you want in your head coach."

On Jason Garrett being such an obvious fit for the job that you don't have to interview other coaches:

"Well, I believe that. But I also respect that process. I think that's one of the neat things about playing for this organization, and I don't know that every organization can say that, is that you know that this owner and the management on this team are going to give you the best chance to win. So they're going to evaluate that process through and through. They're going to look at themselves first and how they can address it and give us the best chance to win. I think they're going to go through that entire search and evaluate every possible name that we can imagine. Us as players, when you're all in. ... We've been in the fire with him and we know what he's about. And I think he showed even more of that during the last eight weeks."

On him being upset after he scored against Philadelphia and Jason Garrett gave him a congratulatory shove:

"No, I wasn't upset. I was focused. I was locked in. I just caught the game-winning touchdown, I had hoped. That's the way he is. His interaction with the players, that's the way he does it. I was a little caught off guard. He gave me a pretty good shove, I got to admit. It knocked me back a little bit. But that's him. He's all in with his players. He loves to compete. He respects this game so much and he gets the most out of his players. I don't know how you guys feel about him, but obviously you can tell that I'm all in with him. I think he's a great coach and I think he understands how important it is for us to get back and be successful and win games."

C

Cr122

I couldn't be more happier now that we took the interim tag off, I know I wanted Cowher but Jason proved he can coach in those last eight games.

And what did it for me is Jerry giving Jason some power, I was just afraid he wouldn't and I think that's what we needed to turn this football team around.

I didn't want to see another puppet coach on this team, we needed the guidance of our head coach not one who is looking over his shoulder all the time.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Fuck,

He pushed him. And he " felt" it.

SuperBowl Champs next season. That is all.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I loved Parcells' style of coaching the players, but being the grumpy old man all the time does wear kind of thin. I think Garrett keeps the best part of Parcells', Tom Coughlin's and Andy Reid's serious demeanor as a coach, but he isn't afraid to be a player's coach either when the situation calls for a coach to let his guard down and yuck it up with the players after a good win.

Plymkr

Reaction score
I loved Parcells' style of coaching the players, but being the grumpy old man all the time does wear kind of thin. I think Garrett keeps the best part of Parcells', Tom Coughlin's and Andy Reid's serious demeanor as a coach, but he isn't afraid to be a player's coach either when the situation calls for a coach to let his guard down and yuck it up with the players after a good win.

I hope Garrett follows more of the role of a Johnson then any of those coaches mentioned.

Top Bottom