Reaction score
Fraley: It's time for Cowboys to cash in on Tashard Choice's trade value

Posted at 9:00 AM on Wed., Jan. 12, 2011 | Permalink
SportsDayDFW sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

SportsDayDFW.com writer Gerry Fraley chatted with fans on Monday and answered questions about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights:

Did Tashard Choice earn a spot on this team in 2011 or lose one with his play this season?

He helped his trade status. Do not see him coming back. He has value. It's time for the Cowboys to cash in on it. I like Tashard and think he should have a bigger role. Just get the feel that Garrett is not enamored with him and would not resist a trade. Remember, Garrett ran the offense this year and rarely used Choice until forced to by injuries.

Everybody says Roy Williams will be gone, but he and Romo were showing good chemistry before Romo got hurt. Is there a chance he is back next year?

Only if he takes a pay cut. Roy Williams this year was a good No. 3 receiver whose blocking was as significant as his receiving. His contract calls for the salary ($9.25 million) of a No. 1 receiver. That will not work for the Cowboys.

Were Sean Lee's injuries this year related to the injuries he had in college? Did he just never heal fully or is there an injury problem with him?

Sean said they are not related, but you have to wonder if he is favoring the knee that had surgery and putting extra stress on the other leg. I wonder if he tried to come back too soon from the training-camp quad injury, causing the hamstring injury. If Sean can stay healthy, he is a front-line player. He needs to add some strength in the off-season. He was overpowered at the point of attack on a few plays this season.

Sometimes I look at Jason Witten's stats and what he has accomplished thus far in his career and it is really amazing. Not that he isn't already special but he has a chance to go down as one of the best tight ends to ever play football. Do you agree?

An emphatic yes.

What puts Witten at a higher level, for me, is his ability and willingness to block. He's an old-school tight end in that respect. Many of the current tight ends are receivers who have no desire to block. Witten surpasses them.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. I'd trade him too. if they can get this damn CBA worked out.

Would love to pair Felix with a bigger, more physial back.

I think we could get a 4th or 5th for Choice.

sdogo

Reaction score
Yep. I'd trade him too. if they can get this damn CBA worked out.

Would love to pair Felix with a bigger, more physial back.

I think we could get a 4th or 5th for Choice.

It's obvious for one reason or another Jason does not feel comfortable trusting Tashard. If that's the case it's time to get something for him before he walks for nothing. It's a move the Patriots have mastered and it's time for us to catch on.

C

Cr122

I was for keeping Choice to share the load with Felix because he seems to get hurt more often.

I'd part with Barber first.

Reaction score
I think Choice would flourish in a starting role. But he, like many of our current or recent players, tends to talk too much.

C

Cr122

Were Sean Lee's injuries this year related to the injuries he had in college? Did he just never heal fully or is there an injury problem with him?

Sean said they are not related, but you have to wonder if he is favoring the knee that had surgery and putting extra stress on the other leg. I wonder if he tried to come back too soon from the training-camp quad injury, causing the hamstring injury. If Sean can stay healthy, he is a front-line player. He needs to add some strength in the off-season. He was overpowered at the point of attack on a few plays this season.

I'm probably the biggest Sean Lee homer here, I would like to see more of him next year if he makes it through TC.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's obvious for one reason or another Jason does not feel comfortable trusting Tashard. If that's the case it's time to get something for him before he walks for nothing. It's a move the Patriots have mastered and it's time for us to catch on.

Fumbling a pitch during the waning seconds of the half, leading to the opponent scoring probably doesn't help matters. Fact is, Tashard lets his emotions get the best of him, and Garrett wants smart players on this team.

sdogo

Reaction score
I'm probably the biggest Sean Lee homer here, I would like to see more of him next year if he makes it through TC.

You dont know me well enough to know your going to have to take 2nd if the Lee homer race. lol

C

Cr122

What if we got rid of Barber and Choice, then played Lonyae Miller more and drafted another back in this years draft.

I worry about Felix too but I think a lot of our running back problems are on the offensive line.

sbk92

Reaction score
Fumbling a pitch during the waning seconds of the half, leading to the opponent scoring probably doesn't help matters. Fact is, Tashard lets his emotions get the best of him, and Garrett wants smart players on this team.

That was one incident. I don't remember another since he's been here.

If that's how we're evaluating players, we need a whole new team. Especially a new quarterback.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That was one incident. I don't remember another since he's been here.

If that's how we're evaluating players, we need a whole new team. Especially a new quarterback.

Yelling on the sidelines.

Something kept Choice in Garrett's doghouse and the fact that he's an emotional guy and let's his emotions get away from him probably has something to do with it.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yelling on the sidelines.

Something kept Choice in Garrett's doghouse and the fact that he's an emotional guy and let's his emotions get away from him probably has something to do with it.

I think what kept him on the sidelines was Felix's potential and Barber's contract.

Reaction score
Choice is a twitter drama queen as well.

Always crying on twitter about his lack of playing time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You dont know me well enough to know your going to have to take 2nd if the Lee homer race. lol

I'm pretty high up the Sean Lee fan club list myself.

He's gonna be a good one.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yep, whatever it is Garrett and maybe Peete too just dont like him that much.

Someobdy is CZ says he has more value to us than to just trade him for a middle rd pick, but thats not true. If they dont use him, he has almost no value to us.

If we could get a 4th for him, I'd be pretty happy. Who knows, we might could get a middle to late 3rd.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What if we got rid of Barber and Choice, then played Lonyae Miller more and drafted another back in this years draft.

I worry about Felix too but I think a lot of our running back problems are on the offensive line.

Well which comes first: playing Miller more or the drafting of an RB in this year's draft?

Top Bottom