Reaction score
Pros, Cons of Nnamdi Asomugha to the Dallas Cowboys​

nnamdi-asomugha-sm-300x200.jpg

Now that Asomugha is set to be a free agent in 2011, there will be quite a few suitors on the open market. Asomugha is going to obtain a mammoth sum of money for his services. Should Dallas be the team to give it to him?

Cons

3. He is 29-years old.

Although Asomugha obviously has some good years left in him, it can be risky business supplying a mega-contract to an aging player. Asomugha plays a position that relies heavily on speed, which is generally the first part of a player’s game to disappear.

2. The Cowboys have a lot of holes.

Cornerback is certainly an area of concern for Dallas, but so is inside linebacker, safety, defensive end, and the offensive line. Quite a few holes, meaning the Cowboys might be smart to disperse funds to a variety of quality players rather than put almost all of it into one guy. Don’t forget the ‘Boys will be dishing out a fairly hefty contract to their first-rounder (if they stay at No. 9), so there may not be too much cash left to sign other free agents if they bring in N.A.

1. The 2011 cornerback class is deep.

This class of cornerbacks is loaded from top to bottom. While Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara are slight possibilities in the first round, the depth of the class means the Cowboys could pick up a first-round talent with their second-round selection. That player would obviously be a downgrade from Asomugha, but it would allow the squad to focus on other pressing needs while still upgrading the cornerback spot.

Pros

3. He excels in any type of coverage and is stout against the run.

No one really knows who will be the defensive coordinator for Dallas in 2011. Will he stick to the team’s man coverage-heavy scheme or implement more zone? Either way, Asomugha will be a perfect fit. He’s a dream cornerback for any system.

2. Terence Newman could be tested at free safety.

While opinions of Newman-to-safety differ greatly, I think the ‘Boys should at least toy with the idea. Detractors claim Newman isn’t a big enough hitter, but it isn’t like he’d be playing strong safety. At free safety, Newman could see the quarterback throw the ball and attack it, as opposed to cornerback where he has to cover his man, then turn and locate the ball. Ball skills have long been Newman’s kryptonite, and a move to free safety could aid him in that regard.

1. He’s the best cornerback in the NFL.

Darrelle Revis is great, but Asomugha has been the best cornerback in football for the last five years. He doesn’t secure many interceptions because he rarely gets tested–this season, he was targeted just 33 times (up from 28 last season). In comparison, Revis was targeted well over 100 times in 2009.
———————————
Overall, the choice is a difficult one for the Cowboys. I personally think they should focus on building through the draft and adding less expensive free agents at positions of need, but I wouldn’t be distraught over an Asomugha signing. He’s one of the best cornerbacks to ever walk the planet, and his presence in Dallas couldn’t be a terrible thing.

by Jonathan Bales[/B]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate the signing, but I don't think it's neccessary.

It would cost a lot of money. I'd hate to throw an 80+ mil contract at a 29 year old corner.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
It's not a necessary signing.

Fixing our pass rush will go a long way to helping our corners cover. And more of a pressure/man scheme. Scandrick and Jenkins are not zone corners.

Also, age is not as big a factor for a defensive back as people think it is. DBs are not RBs or LBs...the collisions are minimal. As long as a DB can run, he can play. See Darren Sharper, Darryl Green, Rod Woodson for evidence.

Reaction score
I disagree that Scandrick is not a zone corner.

If anything, his late season surge had a lot to do with us playing more zone.

Our corners, in general, need to get more in the face of receivers and press them at the line. But you can't do that if you have no confidence in your safeties, and you've only got one pass rusher worth a shat. Love Ratliff, but he was not at all what we're used to this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldnt hate it, but as others have mentioned its kind of unnecessary. Our biggest issue isnt CB, its pass rush.

C

Cr122

It's not a necessary signing.

Fixing our pass rush will go a long way to helping our corners cover. And more of a pressure/man scheme. Scandrick and Jenkins are not zone corners.

Also, age is not as big a factor for a defensive back as people think it is. DBs are not RBs or LBs...the collisions are minimal. As long as a DB can run, he can play. See Darren Sharper, Darryl Green, Rod Woodson for evidence.

This is true and I'm beginning to believe this theory.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
As bad of a year as Jenkins and Newman had, I think they could bounce back if the right guy is brought in to give the front 7 some direction.

sbk92

Reaction score
There are no pros to this signing. Unless you like wasting top money on a player who doesn't impact your defense.

Whatever he signs for, I wouldn't pay him half the amount.

No shat the 2011 CB class is loaded. It's loaded every year. Corners are a dime a dozen. You can find them in the middle rounds of every draft. To give a 30 year old corner, and he will be 30 not 29 when next season kicks off, a huge mega deal would be foolish. Wasteful spending worse than Newman and Barber.

If we're even considering it, then we're screwed.

C

Cr122

As bad of a year as Jenkins and Newman had, I think they could bounce back if the right guy is brought in to give the front 7 some direction.

I'd take either of these two. Haloti Ngata or Nick Fairley.

sbk92

Reaction score

We have plenty of talent at the position to win with if we can fix the defense. We don't need to add another cornerback.

C

Cr122

There are no pros to this signing. Unless you like wasting top money on a player who doesn't impact your defense.

Whatever he signs for, I wouldn't pay him half the amount.

No shat the 2011 CB class is loaded. It's loaded every year. Corners are a dime a dozen. You can find them in the middle rounds of every draft. To give a 30 year old corner, and he will be 30 not 29 when next season kicks off, a huge mega deal would be foolish. Wasteful spending worse than Newman and Barber.

If we're even considering it, then we're screwed.

Yeah, I've changed my stance on Nnamdi because of that very reason.

Top Bottom