sbk92

Reaction score
BY GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com

IRVING – The disastrous first-half play during the season opener at Washington hangs over two of the principals with the Cowboys, who face the Redskins at home Sunday.

Jason Garrett, in his role of offensive coordinator, called for a pass from the Cowboys' 36 with four seconds remaining in the half.

Running back Tashard Choice caught a 1-yard throw from Tony Romo but had cornerback DeAngelo Hall strip the football loose. Hall returned the fumble 32 yards for a touchdown, and Washington won, 13-7.

"It was a poor decision," Garrett said in clipped tones Thursday. "Shouldn't have called the play."

Choice has handled the football 245 times as a rusher, receiver and returner during his NFL career. He has fumbled only once, on this play.

"That's a game I won't forget, because that's a big play of the game," Choice said. "I put that one on myself. I'm going to make sure I'm ready to go this time. Get plays in the game, make the most of them."

Washington coach Mike Shanahan said during a conference call this week that the Cowboys undoubtedly second-guessed themselves after the play and also probably learned from it.

By his actions, Garrett indicated that he has learned from the play. When a similar situation arose against Detroit on Nov. 21 – first down at the Cowboys' 34 with 17 seconds remaining in the first half – Garrett had quarterback Jon Kitna take a knee to run out the clock.

Injuries at WR: With Roy Williams ailing, the Cowboys are down to two healthy wide receivers who have caught a pass in a regular-season NFL game: Miles Austin and Sam Hurd.

A day after being a limited participant, Williams missed a full practice because of a lingering groin injury. If Williams can't play, the pecking order at wide receiver would be Austin, Hurd and Manuel Johnson.

Hurd has seven catches for 63 yards this season. Johnson, recently elevated from the practice squad, has never appeared in a regular-season game. Jesse Holley, a receiver and special teams performer, has missed the last two practices because of a knee problem.

Williams last missed a game on Oct. 11, 2009, when he was sidelined by sore ribs. Austin replaced Williams and had 10 catches for 250 yards and two touchdowns in an overtime win at Kansas City.

Tight end Martellus Bennett (illness) and linebacker Sean Lee (shoulder) also did not practice. Running back Marion Barber (calf) increased the scope of his activities but was again listed as a limited participant on the injury report.

Ware nears mark: Outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware stands a half-sack away from a significant accomplishment in the field of quarterback-battering.

Ware needs the half-sack for his fifth consecutive season with a double-figures total in the category. The last player to have five consecutive seasons with 10-plus sacks was Simeon Rice, with Tampa Bay from 2001-05.

On the flip side, Ware's total of 9 ½ sacks is a bit below his usual production. He averaged 14 sacks for the previous four seasons.

"As long as I'm hitting the quarterback, I'm fine," Ware said. "Sometimes you don't get that sack, but being able to get that pressure, hitting him, creating some interceptions, you will take that in part."

According to NFL statistics, Ware has 18 quarterback pressures. Jay Ratliff is second on the club with seven pressures.

Briefly: Rookie safety Andrew Sendejo showed well enough on special teams in his NFL debut against Philadelphia on Sunday to merit more game opportunities, according to Garrett. Sendejo played in the UFL this season but said fatigue is not a factor. ... The Cowboys juggled the look of the practice squad, moving sprinter-turned-footballer Teddy Williams from defensive back to receiver.

Reaction score
Ware needs the half-sack for his fifth consecutive season with a double-figures total in the category. The last player to have five consecutive seasons with 10-plus sacks was Simeon Rice, with Tampa Bay from 2001-05.

That is interesting.

Top Bottom