sbk92

Reaction score
Cowboys Mailbag

What has happened to Miles Austin?

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag.)

DOUG SABERS - MINNEAPOLIS, MN: What has happened to Miles Austin? There must be more to it than defenses sliding more coverage his way. He only has 11 catches in the last six games.

Nick: I think the extra coverage is the biggest part of it. But you don't see Kitna or even Romo throw a lot of passes for him, asking Miles to simply "make a play." You see it with Dez and even some with Roy. But with Austin, he doesn't seem to get a lot of passes thrown to him if he's not wide open. He doesn't catch the ball in traffic as well as you would like. So when he's blanketed like this, there are going to be a lot of days when he doesn't get balls thrown to him. It doesn't help that Roy Williams doesn't get open consistently. Austin is the only true deep threat and the defenses know it.

Rob: I agree. Extra coverage didn't stop Austin from posting huge numbers last year, and Dez Bryant wasn't on that team to draw away defenders. Just seems like Austin and Kitna don't have the same rapport that he has with Tony Romo. Their timing has clearly been off on some throws.

Josh: I think it's a Kitna thing. You'll notice that Austin's numbers dropped off precipitously when Tony Romo went out. Kitna threw to Dez Bryant a lot more than Romo did. Different quarterbacks have different receivers they like, and different throws they like to make. What's really worrisome about Austin is all the balls he's been dropping, and the fact they all seem to fall right into defenders' hands.

MARTIN SNODGRASS - CARSON CITY, NV: I was disturbed when I saw Tashard Choice asking Michael Vick for an autograph after the game. I thought this kind of thing was frowned upon. Does this hurt him in the eyes of coaches and his teammates, especially after a tough loss?

Nick: I don't really think it will hurt him in terms of the players and coaches. As for the fans, judging by the comments I've seen already, it's about 50-50. Some people think it's a really big deal and others don't seem to care at all. Personally, I have no problem with a guy wanting an autograph or any kind of memorabilia for a keepsake. But the timing, to do it on the field and make sure you've got a sharpie in hand, it just seems too premeditated to happen at midfield after a three-point loss. But he did admit the mistake and apologized. I think it should be dropped.

Rob: It's a big locker room. There are probably guys who don't agree, guys who don't mind and guys who don't care at all. Personally, I don't think the autograph itself was a big deal. But given the microscope this team is under, it creates a negative perception and everyone knew it would become big news. That said, it would've been better for Choice to do it in private, or at the very least, wait until Jan. 2 after the teams' second meeting. At that point the season is officially over.

Josh: See there is a double standard here among media and fans. If he had acted like a jerk and simply left the field, people would say he was a bad sport. He says it was for his nephew, which I believe, so maybe it was important that he get the autograph in time for Christmas. Who knows, and who really cares? Do you think he didn't play hard, or something? See, that's all that really matters.

sbk92

Reaction score
What happened to Miles Austin is simple.

He's not the elite stud #1 WR you thought he was last year when teams didn't respect him. Which is why he shouldn't have been resigned to the big contract. He should have had to back that up again this year. A good GM does this.

He's not Dez Bryant. He's not in that class. Does not having Romo have something to do with it? Sure. But a true lead wideout makes do with the backup QB. As Dez was doing, and in his rookie year.

Austin went from being completely underrated by Cowboys fans back when they were talking up Sam Hurd, to now completely overrated as some Andre Johnson type lead WR, as we heard at the end of last season.

Reaction score
Miles is talented enough to be the lead receiver on most teams in the NFL.

Here is what is happening to Miles Austin in Dallas, 2010:

1. He's not being targeted enough to make an impact.
2. We don't have an offensive line talented enough to allow many pass plays to develop.
3. We have a back up QB.
4. Defenses don't respect our run game.

Once we get those issues resolved, he'll magically be a stud receiver again.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Someone seriously had to ask this question?

A shitty OLine and not having your franchise QB will tend to have this affect...

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

A shitty OLine and not having your franchise QB will tend to have this affect...

Then you have the hating fool up there who as always is all over the place. On one instance he blames the Oline for crap, but yet in this instance the Oline is crap doesn't apply.

sbk92

Reaction score

That didn't bother Dez Bryant. He became the man this year despite those issues.

Why? Because he's a true #1. Austin isn't. The same people telling you he is now are the same people who said he couldn't play two years ago.

Reaction score
That didn't bother Dez Bryant. He became the man this year despite those issues.

Why? Because he's a true #1.

Dez wasn't putting up #1 receiver numbers. Unless you consider 4 receptions and 47ypg adequate for your #1.

And as stated . . . Austin wasn't targeted like Dez was, once Kitna came in.

Austin isn't.

Yes, he is.

The same people telling you he is now are the same people who said he couldn't play two years ago.

Show me anywhere where anyone on this forum stated Miles couldn't play?

You can't . . . because you're talking out of your ass. Again.

Top Bottom