sbk92

Reaction score
I happened to check his memorial page today as I knew the anniversary of his death was soon and saw they are taking donations for a Christmas party in Mike's name at a local children's hospital.

I know only a few guys on here even know who he is, but I figured it was my duty to spread the word.

http://funds.gofundme.com/10u3c

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm not sure we posted this before....

Woman gets probation for hit-and-run death

By LARRY WELBORN
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

lai3dg-b78706114z.120101018122523000gpsr11sh.2.jpg

Shana Lynne Calderon booking photo

SANTA ANA – A Newport Beach woman who struck and killed a pedestrian when he inexplicably stepped off a curb as she was driving by was placed on probation Monday and ordered to spend a year in an alcohol and drug treatment facility for felony hit-and-run.

Shana Lynne Calderon, 21, was driving in her white 1995 Ford Explorer south on Newport Boulevard in Costa Mesa about 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 12 when she struck Michael McLaughlin, 29, as he stepped off the curb near 19th Street.

McLaughlin, of San Diego, bounced off the windshield and landed on the pavement. He died a week later.

Calderon initially parked nearby and briefly returned to the scene and talked with a witness before leaving in the Explorer, according to the District Attorney's Office.

Approximately two hours later, Calderon turned herself in to the Costa Mesa Police Department, where she displayed signs of intoxication, including bloodshot and watery eyes, flushed face, slurred speech and an odor of alcohol on her breath, according to prosecutors.

She pleaded guilty in August to felony hit-and-run, misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol, misdemeanor driving with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent or more, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and driving without a license.

Defense attorney Jack Earley asked for probation for Calderon after noting that McLaughlin was legally drunk when he stepped off the curb in dark clothing on a rainy night into oncoming traffic.

Deputy District Attorney Jason Baez said he could not prove with the available evidence whether a sober driver could have avoided hitting McLaughlin.

Superior Court Judge Robert Fitzgerald handed down his sentence after hearing poignant victim impact statements from McLaughlin's mother and sister, who flew into Orange County from the East Coast to be present in court. Their statements were delayed from Friday because a power outage closed the courthouse, pushing all criminal cases over to Monday.

In her statement, Margaret McLaughlin, the victim's mother, remembered her son's kind and loving eyes, and said his death "left a permanent hole in my heart."

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Quoting the article:She pleaded guilty in August to felony hit-and-run, misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol, misdemeanor driving with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent or more, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and driving without a license.

This crap makes my blood boil.How is there such a thing as misdemeanor driving while impaired?I could go on,but I won't.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend guys.

sbk92

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the court considers Mike a little bit responsible for it too. Because he was also drunk and I think, and this is where I may be wrong, that he was illegally crossing the road.

But she was drunk, had drug paraphernalia in the car, had no license, no insurance and fled the scene.

I never wanted to see her life ruined over this, but damn if it doesn't seem like a slap in the face to his family.

C

Cr122

It just reminds me of how I would like to smash this bitch in the face with my forearm.

Ignorant Bitch.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the court considers Mike a little bit responsible for it too. Because he was also drunk and I think, and this is where I may be wrong, that he was illegally crossing the road.

But she was drunk, had drug paraphernalia in the car, had no license, no insurance and fled the scene.

I never wanted to see her life ruined over this, but damn if it doesn't seem like a slap in the face to his family.

Therein lies the rub.Throwing the book at her wouldn't bring back your friend,or assuage the family's grief.It would only,as you say,ruin her life.

Still doesn't seem right.

C

Cr122

What really pisses me off about this bitch is she left the scene, and then came back.

I mean she knew Mike was lying in the road fighting for his life.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Comments:

There's an area for who it's coming from and comments.

A little help? Not sure what to put in either. I'd like to send the donation today just in case it takes 3 or 4 days to show up in their account.

sbk92

Reaction score
I have no idea. Sign your name and then put your address and social security number in the comments.

sbk92

Reaction score
lol

I seriously don't know. Sign it your name here. Don't leave a comment if you don't know what to say.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm going to do it this way unless anyone obects or thinks it's somehow in bad taste.

Comment: In remembrance of Mike(Rant).

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's not really from me, so I don't want to put Sheik.

If I had an okay from Midswat, I would sign it Midswat, or by his real name, Nors Shanle.

Top Bottom