C

Cr122

Making Plays
John Phillips Stepping Up In Bennett's Absence
Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - With third-year tight end Martellus Bennett missing time due to a low ankle sprain, second-year veteran John Phillips worked alongside Jason Witten and the first-team offense in their two-tight end sets in Monday's practice.

He didn't disappoint.

"He did good," Witten said. "Today he ran some plays he hadn't been used to running, and he just steps right in. He's one of those guys, he's crafty. He finds a way to get it done. I think he probably had his best practice I've seen of him in two years.

"He works his tail off. Whatever you ask him to do he does it. He does it pretty good. I've been impressed by him. With Martellus being down, that's more reps for us. He's definitely played well when he's been in there."

Wade Phillips is also satisfied with how Phillips has progressed from last year to this year.

"You know he is going to work here," Wade Phillips said. "We address things with each player certainly to help him. (We told him) a little more strength and little more weight would help him and keep the same skills. It looks like he has done that. "

John Phillips said he is just trying to fill whatever role the coaches ask. However, he does feel like he can step in at any point and perform well.

"We have a lot of talent on this team," Phillips said. "We have a lot of good players. When somebody gets hurt we feel like the next guy can step right up and just not skip a beat and take right off just like he is the starter."

Coincidently, Phillips had his best game of the season against the New Orleans Saints last year when Bennett was hurt. In the 24-17 win, he snagged three passes for 40 yards.

This year he has a better grasp of Jason Garrett's offense, giving him an opportunity to focus on improving other areas of his game.

"This year you really have an idea what the offense is and you really know the skeleton of it so you can spend a lot more time focusing on the little things," he said. "Last year it was kind of a bulk; this year it's more of the technique."

With Bennett temporarily sidelined, Phillips will take advantage of every opportunity he gets. He already did it once against the eventual Super Bowl champs and is likely to do it again.

Top Bottom