C

Cr122

Pad-Gate Closed
Phillips Discusses Rookie Traditions With Team
Chris Beesley
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - Every day during practice it seems all eyes are on rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant. That was true again Monday, but for the first time people were watching him for reasons other than his playmaking abilities.

Bryant made national and international headlines for refusing to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads and helmet to the locker room Sunday, leaving fans and media interested to see if he would comply with the veteran's wishes a day later.

After every practice so far during training camp, Bryant has been one of the last players to leave the field, spending plenty of time with fans and the media. But when practice ended Monday he ran off the field immediately without signing autographs, talking to reporters or, most notably, grabbing up anyone else's gear.

Williams did stay and speak, though, discussing how he felt about the matter.

"I was never upset," Williams said. "I don't understand where everything is coming from. Like I said, you guys want to pit us against each other. If he doesn't want to take the pads, he doesn't have to take the pads. It's not a big deal, we'll just move on."

Wade Phillips addressed the situation with the team on Monday morning, and told the media what his policy is on rookies and their traditions.

"Rookies can play," Phillips said. "I treat them the same as the rest of the players. They're good enough to play and get on the field; they can earn it or not earn it. That's the way I treat them. I'm just saying if they don't believe they need to do that, then they don't have to do it."

Although Bryant won't be told to carry any pads after practice, Williams playfully said there would be repercussions later on.

"When we go out to eat," Williams said. "I'm going to be a little bit more hungry and a little bit more thirsty."

Top Bottom