C

Cr122

Bob Sturm: Cowboys must now act like it's preseason 2011, but will Jerry Jones force Jason Garrett to play backups?
Posted at 8:12 PM on Thu., Nov. 25, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Bob Sturm / Contributor Bio | E-mail | News tips
SportsDayDFW phoned Bob Sturm to comment on the Cowboys' 30-27 loss to the Saints. The following is a transcription of parts of the interview:

On what to expect next playing at Indianapolis one week from Sunday:

The Colts are once again a team quarterbacked by a top-tier player so expect the defense to be asked a lot of difficult questions in coverage. But I think the Cowboys feel they can accomplish some things offensively and lock into a competitive battle. They obviously have to think at 3-8 they are playing for this week's result. As a fan you just want to see how this team can mature and develop. We treat the final weeks as a preseason for 2011.

On if the season is over:

Honestly, I had them done after the Minnesota game. The top teams in the NFC are all sitting at seven or eight wins and some of them are going to miss the playoffs given the volume of teams up there. Anyone who had playoffs still on the table at 3-7 was way more optimistic than I was.

On if the Cowboys should play their backups more, including third-string quarterback Stephen McGee:

See what we have here is a couple different missions being run simultaneously, one is a coach trying to stack up as many wins as possible to strengthen his case for a contract, and the other mission is to find out about your future. And I'm not sure those missions can be run simultaneously. If your general manager (Jerry Jones) wants to know about young players, he would have to order them himself, because an interim coach is not going to audition the future if he doesn't get more wins.

We will find out who is making the decisions, because any interim coach cannot worry about the five-year plan, he's on a five-week plan. And a five-week plan indicates that Jon Kitna is a clear choice over someone who hasn't taken an NFL snap. The other factor is that there is not a surplus of young players that are on the brink of stepping in. If anything, I recommend placing Tony Romo and Sean Lissemore on injured reserve so they can raid practice squads around the league and find more promising kids like Bryan McCann and truly treat this as 2011. I hope the GM is more concerned with that then his various entertainment and business decisions.

sbk92

Reaction score
Balls on.

But we don't have anyone running personnel who understands that.

Reaction score
I agree, at 1st I wanted to see Romo play but forget it now it's time to move on from this season..The real fans will understand Jerrah.

Top Bottom