C

Cr122

Updated: August 2, 2010, 9:01 PM ET
Blackhawks sign Marty Turco

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Blackhawks have signed veteran goaltender Marty Turco to a one-year deal while parting ways with Stanley Cup-winning goalie Antti Niemi.

ESPN 1000, Chicago

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman joined "The Afternoon Saloon" on ESPN 1000 to talk about walking away from goaltender Antti Niemi.

More Podcasts »

Niemi was awarded a $2.75 million judgment from an arbitrator on Saturday, and the Blackhawks had 48 hours to accept the judgment, trade him or let him become an unrestricted free agent. He now is an unrestricted free agent.

"That number was never going to work for us," Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said on "The Afternoon Saloon" on ESPN 1000. "So we would have had to make some other moves to free up money.

"But as we talked to different teams about options, nothing really ever materialized. So it was a matter of just not being there financially. We were fortunate to be able to get someone of Marty's ability and record to be able to come in and work within our budget."

Turco gets $1.3 million, a source told ESPN.com's Scott Burnside on Monday. According to his agent, Kurt Overhardt, Turco could have earned more money and gotten a longer contract elsewhere.

"We spoke to four different teams and turned down different opportunities and amounts," Overhardt said. "He turned down teams with higher considerations and longer terms ... Marty's priority was joining a team that could win a Stanley Cup, and he chose Chicago."

Bowman said there were talks with Niemi's agent, Bill Zito, about different scenarios, but Bowman said the money wasn't to the liking of Niemi's camp.

"We made several contract offers, including a multiyear offer, and we were never able to work it out," Bowman said. "We decided to go in another direction.

"Marty has an accomplished record in the league, and he's going to complement our team. I know he's hungry for a Stanley Cup, and we're hungry to defend the Stanley Cup."

More From ESPNChicago.com

Goalie Antti Niemi is the latest, and hopefully last, victim from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, writes Jon Greenberg. Story

• Chang: Right decision for Hawks Insider

• Hradek: Breakdown of Niemi leaving Insider

• Check out the Blackhawks blog

Zito told ESPNChicago.com that Chicago never extended a multiyear offer, but Bowman didn't want to argue the point.

"We discussed some numbers, but did not really get off them in so far as structuring a specific multiyear offer," Zito said. "It was more of a general conversation surrounding limitations placed on [Bowman] by the cap. But there is no drama there, what could we do?

"We always knew this would be a risk, and any time you file for arbitration, in this climate, we knew this could be a possibility -- so we live with our decisions."

Zito said Niemi, who is back home in Finland, is disappointed. Niemi, 26, was 26-7 with a 2.25 goals-against average and .912 save percentage. He also had seven shutouts.

"Just imagine how anyone would feel in his situation," Zito said. "His situation is exacerbated a little bit more than those guys the Blackhawks traded away because of going through all the drama of the arbitration.

"You're 26 years old, just had your breakout year and win the Cup," Zito added. "It's all cap management. I have to respect the hockey decision they made and live with it."

Zito said he was talking to several NHL teams and expects Niemi to land with a new club before the start of the season.

Niemi is the eighth player to leave the Blackhawks since the team won its first Stanley Cup in 49 years, joining Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser and Kris Versteeg. John Madden, a 37-year-old unrestricted free agent, has yet to sign with a team.

Bowman said he had been eyeing Turco for some time and trying to coordinate the timing of the signing so another NHL team wouldn't take him.

Turco, 34, went 22-20 with a 2.72 goals-against average and .913 save percentage and four shutouts for the Dallas Stars last season. In his NHL career, Turco is 262-154-63 in 509 regular-season games with a 2.31 goals-against average and 40 shutouts.

Bowman said the team expects "immediate" contributions from Turco, who has played all nine of his NHL seasons with Dallas. The three-time All Star has never advanced past the conference finals in six playoff appearances with the Stars.

"We were a little bit surprised [to get this opportunity]," said Turco, who was vacationing with friends in Scotland. "I said earlier about the desire to play for [the Blackhawks] before the playoffs even began. When they won, I assumed the opportunity was erased.

"I'm more than excited to help Chicago do what they want to do, which is [defend] the Stanley Cup. It's been almost a dream come true to play for an Original Six team, especially one with [the number of] Tony Esposito, who's from my hometown [Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario], up in the rafters. It's an amazing day for my family and me to become a Blackhawk."

The 5-foot-11 Turco is 21-26 with a 2.17 goals-against average in 47 playoff games. The Stars, however, have missed the postseason for two straight years.

"I haven't lost my confidence, although the last few years have been tough mentally because we haven't made the playoffs," Turco said.

He added: "I had offers from other teams and multiyear deals, but I had a chance to be a part of this great organization. Waiting, especially looking at it from today, doesn't seem that difficult."

ESPNChicago.com Blackhawks blog

Blackhawks blog The latest news from Hawks beat reporter Jesse Rogers. Blog

Bowman said the Blackhawks are nearly finished with their massive overhaul due to salary-cap constraints, although he did say they would add a defenseman.

"The players that aren't with us anymore, we'll always have that championship together," Bowman said. "There was no bitterness at all about that.

"[Niemi] was a big part of it, clearly. But we're on to the next thing. We're excited about the opportunity to defend the Cup. And we're very excited to have someone of Marty's caliber in our organization. We have to look forward. We had a great season last year, a great ending, but we're looking forward."

Bowman said he'll turn his attention now to what to do with veteran Cristobal Huet, whose contract likely will have to come off the books. He said Turco will be a good mentor for young goalie Corey Crawford.

Jesse Rogers covers the Blackhawks for ESPNChicago.com. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

C

Cr122

Stars icon Mike Modano confirms he will join Red Wings

Stars icon Mike Modano confirms he will join Red Wings
8:10 AM Tue, Aug 03, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Mike Heika / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Mike Modano, who has scored more NHL points and goals than any other player born in the United States, has decided to play next season for the Detroit Red Wings, he confirmed via text Tuesday morning.

Modano is golfing with friends in Scotland, but said in a text that he has made the commitment to play for Detroit, confirming reports in The Detroit Free Press. The Free Press said an announcement would be made Thursday. Modano said he is returning home on Thursday at 6 p.m. Modano wrote that he did not have time to elaborate as he was on the golf course. Modano, who was drafted first overall in 1988, played 20 seasons for the Stars and holds just about every franchise scoring record.

He played 1,459 games for the Minnesota/Dallas franchise and has 557 goals, 802 assists and 1,359 points. Modano ranks 23rd all-time in NHL history in point scoring, 24th all-time in goal-scoring and tied for 13th in game-winning goals with 91.

Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced June 29 that the Stars would not re-sign Modano, 40, whose contract had run out with the Stars. Modano has been weighing options since the start of free agency July 1, and Detroit is the only team he has visited. He also has had conversations with Minnesota and San Jose.

Modano was born in Livonia, Mich. and grew up in the Detroit area. His parents still live there.

The Stars home opener is Oct. 14 against the Red Wings.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 21, 2010, 6:50 PM ET
Islanders to stay on Long Island

* Email
* Print
* Comments15

Associated Press

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- New York Islanders owner Charles Wang says the club is committed to staying on Long Island at least through the end of its Nassau Coliseum lease in 2015.

Speaking Tuesday as part of the Islanders' training camp media day, Wang -- who has been trying to push through the Lighthouse Project that would provide the team a new arena -- says he will consider other alternatives in the future, if necessary.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

C

Cr122

Looking forward to another disappointing season for the Islanders.

C

Cr122

Michael Leighton sidelined one month

Updated: September 28, 2010, 7:20 PM ET

EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Flyers goalie Michael Leighton has a bulging disk in his back and will miss a month, while forward Ian Laperriere is out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome.

Cross Checks Blog
Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcements Tuesday. Holmgren says Leighton will not need surgery and should be fine with rehabilitation and rest.

Leighton took over in goal during the playoffs last year and led the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals. He was strong in the Eastern Conference finals but slumped in their Stanley Cup finals loss to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Laperriere was hit by a puck blocking a shot late last year and fought his way back to the lineup. Holmgren says Laperriere will have an MRI exam Friday.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Plymkr

Reaction score
It is blasphemy that Modano joined the Dead Wings. Crap.

Who the hell am I gonna root for now?

C

Cr122

It is blasphemy that Modano joined the Dead Wings. Crap.

Who the hell am I gonna root for now?

I'm surprised he did, but as the players get older they want change I guess.

It could be worse, you could be an Islanders fans like me.

C

Cr122

Jesus, I can't take another losing season with the Islanders.

We lose so many games by one goal or less. We need more offensive power.

C

Cr122

I won't hold my breath, but the Islanders are 4-1-1 so far this year.

And we are in first place.

C

Cr122

Alex Ovechkin sidelined 7-10 days

Updated: March 22, 2011, 12:59 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals want Alex Ovechkin as healthy as possible for the playoffs, so he's getting some downtime.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said Monday that Ovechkin will be sidelined for seven to 10 days with an undisclosed injury.

"He's been bothered by this nagging ailment for a couple of months," Boudreau said. "We just thought we'd take care of it now. His body needs a little bit of rest. We thought this was a good time to rest his body for a week to two weeks so he's fresh come April."

Boudreau wouldn't go into detail about an injury, other than to say that Ovechkin is mainly "sore." The coach said the break would also give his star player a chance to deal with the general aches and pains that come from Ovechkin's physical style of play.

"He just needs to take some time off to get completely healed up," Capitals general manager George McPhee said.

The Capitals can afford to play without Ovechkin for a few games because the team has played well lately after some midseason struggles. Washington has won 12 of 14 to take over first place in the Southeast Division and move in on the Philadelphia Flyers for the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

The Capitals visit the Flyers on Tuesday, the fourth of six consecutive road games.

Ovechkin had also started to regain his scoring stride, with points in 14 of the last 16 games, but his ice time has decreased lately and he has missed practices. Given the Capitals' recent history of playoff disappointments -- including last year's first-round exit to Montreal as the top seed in the East -- the team felt it was better to act now.

"He hasn't practiced with the team in a while," Boudreau said. "He wants to feel better. He doesn't like waking up every morning and feeling like he's got to go through an hour of just doing stuff to get ready to practice or to play. He wants to feel healthy. The playoffs are very important to him and he wants to be at his best when we arrive there."

Ovechkin has yet to miss a game this season. He is sixth in the league with 77 points (29 goals, 48 assists), on pace for his lowest totals in both points and goals since he entered the NHL in 2005. The decreased production is partly due to the team's new emphasis on defense, but Boudreau said the injury might have also played a factor.

Ovechkin, 25, is two goals shy of 300 for his career. Barring a long drought or serious injury, he'll be the sixth-youngest player to score 300 goals and the seventh-fastest in terms of games to reach the mark.

Ovechkin will also miss road games at Ottawa and Montreal on Friday and Saturday.

Information from the Elias Sports Bureau and The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

LOL.

Feel for ya bro.

I love hockey, I used to play in the midstate youth league here in New York.

And I used to love watching the Rangers and Islanders games. Bossy, Potvin, Smith and Nystrom just to name a few, man I miss those good teams.

C

Cr122

I'll be updating this thread more often with more articles, I just wish their were more members here that enjoy hockey.

Top Bottom