Reaction score
Jerry Jones: 'I think everybody in this country would agree there's a lot wrong with this team'

01:19 AM CST on Monday, November 8, 2010
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com
GREEN BAY , Wis. – Asked this way and that about Wade Phillips' job status, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones chose not to comment following Sunday's humiliating 45-7 loss to Green Bay.

But when he was asked about how he is keeping his senses during a five-game losing streak in which the Cowboys went from at least being competitive to utterly embarrassed, Jones seemed to open up about not only the coach but everything in the organization.

"I think there are a lot of people here that certainly are going to suffer and suffer the consequences," Jones said. "I'm talking within the team, players, coaches. They've got careers, and this is certainly a setback. I know firsthand what it is to have high expectations. I think that unquestionably our expectations were thinking we were something we weren't ... But again, we have so many things that we need to correct and address as this game so vividly exposed and previous games have. So I've got a lot of work to do, a lot of decisions to make, and it's not just one, two, three or four. There are several decisions. I think everybody in this country would agree there's a lot wrong with this team. We've got to address them and certainly I'm the one to address them."

During his radio appearance on The Fan last Friday, Jones answered "yes" when asked if Phillips would be the Cowboys coach for the rest of the season. On Sunday he would not even take the question, but he said he will meet with the players on Monday.

Jones has never made an in-season coaching change since he took over the team in 1989, although he did meet with Bill Parcells before the 2002 season ended when Dave Campo was his coach. As general manager, he said he has to have a long-term view of what is going on with the team.

"At least a long-enough term to think about what we'll be doing next year. But we have seven, eight games left this year, and certainly I don't want to waste one series or one quarter," Jones said. "But I should and do in my role look at certainly the long term, if you want to quantify it as the next couple two, three years. We've got some players in here that are in the prime times of their careers, and I want the most out of them for the team and our fans."

Phillips does not have answers for how the season has cratered. Neither do the players. Only Jones knows what will happen be it today, tomorrow, the end of the season or some time in 2011.

"He's the owner, and he gets to do what he wants to do," cornerback Terence Newman said. "We have no choice but to live with it. ... [He will do] whatever he wants to do."

Changing Jones' job title is not among them, even when he was asked about his role in what has transpired.

"Don't imply there that my role is going to change at all," Jones said. "Don't do that. You'll get something stuck."

Plymkr

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: 'I think everybody in this country would agree there's a lot wrong with this team'

Changing Jones' job title is not among them, even when he was asked about his role in what has transpired.

"Don't imply there that my role is going to change at all," Jones said. "Don't do that. You'll get something stuck."

Starts at the top with YOU Jones.

But, that third sentence, says it all. The dude is blind. Dallas will be a trainwreck for years to come. I thought Jerry FINALLY pulled his head out of his ass these past few seasons. Nope, I was mistakened.

I will never have faith in this guy again as a GM.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I always love it when Newman opens his mouth.

Hey, does anyone know how to get in touch with him? I was wondering if he wanted to run to the midfield star again.

Top Bottom