Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
NOTE: I've split this from the "Time to move on from Dez" thread. Mostly to remove all of this off-topic stuff, and partly to give these posts their own thread. I'm the dumbass who derailed the thread by bringing Romo up when I knew better than to do that.

I'm saying I don't look at completion percentage in a vacuum and use it as a barometer of how I judge success.
I don't know anyone who does. But it's worth pointing out it's the only stat the NFL has to judge "accuracy." Flawed though it is.
I'm not so much worried about you.....but dbair? There's no saying what he'll do or say when he goes full homer.
I'm sure dbair although originally a Garrett supporter, woke up and smelled the coffee at least three years ago. NO chance that he thinks Garrett=Landry. None, not even theoretically.
I saw things in his second year that really concerned me and made me question if he's the QB of this team.
I saw things like that with Romo, every year. It just is what it is but this much is apparent - Dak takes the game a lot more seriously than Romo ever could. He recognizes he needs work and took a big step this offseason working with a top guru to get better, instead of playing golf or going to Cabo. I'll take an ounce of his dedication and hatred of losing possessions to turnover over Romo's flash and nyuk-nyuk what me worry attitude, all day long. I'd rather lose with a guy who hates to lose, instead of losing with a guy who really doesn't care if we lose.
We'll go nowhere if Dak doesn't up his game.
He's shown that he agrees with you.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i am skeptical like dodger is with dak

there were a lot of times during games when i questioned daks ability. it looked like a linebacker heaving passes at times. u-g-l-y

and then, tyron goes down, dak starts getting annihilated and it got REALLY u-g-l-y at times.

year 3 what do you do?

so you cant ask linehan to scheme any better when this regime wont even substitute or give help in an obvious in-game situation that called for it. not to mention the obvious situation was ON-GOING. it happened 5 fucking times.

WHAT HAPPENED GUYS??? the excuse? oh, "we tried giving help and chipping, but the ball was supposed to come out quicker."

so naturally what did DAL do? oh, nothing. just recruit a couple new voices in the asst. coaching ranks to basically try to "increase" the talent within them, or get them to execute better? i guess so the offense doesnt have to rely so much on linehan's shitty plays.

maybe what were seeing here is similar to the angels in the outfield movies and DAL will benefit from divine intervention, i dunno. im confused by the offseason plan for the offense.

moral of the story is i dont think dak has a good chance to improve/evolve being surrounded by morons

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who does. But it's worth pointing out it's the only stat the NFL has to judge "accuracy." Flawed though it is.

Which is why I don't judge "accuracy" by how many dink and dunk passes a QB completes. If that were the case, Weeden would have remained our QB.

I saw things like that with Romo, every year. It just is what it is but this much is apparent - Dak takes the game a lot more seriously than Romo ever could. He recognizes he needs work and took a big step this offseason working with a top guru to get better, instead of playing golf or going to Cabo. I'll take an ounce of his dedication and hatred of losing possessions to turnover over Romo's flash and nyuk-nyuk what me worry attitude, all day long. I'd rather lose with a guy who hates to lose, instead of losing with a guy who really doesn't care if we lose.

Not sure how you can make this statement and determine the one QB takes it more serous than the other. Right now, what's becoming increasingly clear is that Romo and Witten were the on-field coaches of this team. But I'm not going to make this a Romo vs Dak debate. You'll be puking with me by half-time as we're struggling to break the 50 passing yard mark or watching the dump offs on 3rd and long.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
WHAT HAPPENED GUYS??? the excuse? oh, "we tried giving help and chipping, but the ball was supposed to come out quicker."

There were times when Dak got sacked because he was indecisive and held the ball to long. He has no feel for the pocket and doesn't step up and throw a strike downfield. Dak has to help himself too by making the defense pay.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not sure how you can make this statement and determine the one QB takes it more serous than the other.
It's a perception I and many others share. That doesn't make it a fact.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s time to move on from Dez

i am skeptical like dodger is with dak

moral of the story is i dont think dak has a good chance to improve/evolve being surrounded by morons

Maybe Dak will get lucky and the bunch of morons will all get fired. Then they can place Richard as HC

Dak might have a chance with an entirely new coaching staff. Not to mention hiring a QB coach fresh off our own practice squad who has zero experience as a coach isn’t doing Dak and favors!

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a perception I and many others share. That doesn't make it a fact.

Because it's not a fact. Take the evidence and form an informed decision. The guy played injured, he came back early from injury to help his team only to get injured the first game back because he rushed to get back on the field. He always tried to improve and by all accounts, was a student of the game and the position. At the very least, the games he's broadcasted should tell you that. I get it; he wasn't good enough. But he was the only person that gave this team a chance for a long time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Because it's not a fact. Take the evidence and form an informed decision. The guy played injured, he came back early from injury to help his team only to get injured the first game back because he rushed to get back on the field. He always tried to improve and by all accounts, was a student of the game and the position. At the very least, the games he's broadcasted should tell you that. I get it; he wasn't good enough. But he was the only person that gave this team a chance for a long time.

If losing was the worst thing to happen...

Reaction score

He was all too happy to be a celebrity QB, and would play hurt, try hard, and such, but he was never interested in being a champion because he would have won a SB if he had half the hatred of losing as Aikman.

The whole Cabo thing was him being a celebrity QB, and not taking the game seriously. It pisses people off to say that, but it's the truth. A person hungry enough to be a champion is focused on nothing but the game ahead.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was all too happy to be a celebrity QB, and would play hurt, try hard, and such, but he was never interested in being a champion because he would have won a SB if he had half the hatred of losing as Aikman.

The whole Cabo thing was him being a celebrity QB, and not taking the game seriously. It pisses people off to say that, but it's the truth. A person hungry enough to be a champion is focused on nothing but the game ahead.

He was a what me worry nyuk-nyuk small town boy made good and never got Aikman serious. Much less Staubach serious.

He just didn't seem to take it seriously, it was just a game to him and stayed that way. He never seemed to mind losing it was all oh well we'll get 'em next time. There never materialized, that next time.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If losing was the worst thing to happen...

You can hang a guy for saying something stupid after a tough loss. I'll look at his whole body of work and how he went about his business carrying a team with some historically bad defenses and teams in general.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You can hang a guy for saying something stupid after a tough loss. I'll look at his whole body of work and how he went about his business carrying a team with some historically bad defenses and teams in general.

His whole body of work can accurately be summed up by that Denver game. Shooting it out pass for pass with Manning, until near the end when it hurts the most and cannot be recovered from, he shits the bed. He chokes.

That's his legacy in a nutshell. And after that at the end of the game what was he doing? Nyuk-nyuking it up, slapping butts and looking like it was no big deal.

Perception often reflects reality.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

When Aikman had to throw to scrubs and the overall talent level disappeared due to bad drafts. even he couldn't carry the team. And Aikman had the benefit of playing for Jimmy and I firmly believe it Parcells had stayed on another year or two this team could have gone to the SB. But bringing in Phillips and his laid back country bumpkin approach was as bad for this team as bringing in Switzer. And then we doubled down by giving Romo the Red Dolt.

Troy was one of the most marketable players of his generation. If we had social media back then, his life would have been dissected as well. He dated celebrities, team employees, hung around with country singers and even released an album or something like that. Cabo was more about the HC who gave the whole team time off instead of keeping them focused. It was who Wade was.

Romo didn't get it done and at the end of the day, he'll be looked as a poor man's Danny White, as he should. He's not on the level of Staubach or Aikman. But Romo was the only thing that gave this team any chance to compete. It certainly wasn't the coaching or the GM that gave him very little to work with, especially on D, for most of his career. At the end of the day, he made scrubs like Miles Austin and Laurent Robinson millionaires. He also made a slow, prodding TE a first ballot HOF'er. And I also think it's clear now that Dez Bryant owes his millions to Romo as well. And the Red Dolt owes his fortunes to Romo as well. He covered up everyone's flaws, including some putrid OL play. And there's also a reason Jerry loves Romo so much. The man helped him build his monument to his ego because without a true franchise QB, no way Jerry sells those high priced seats. Bottom line is Romo carried this team and it's front office for years.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
His whole body of work can accurately be summed up by that Denver game. Shooting it out pass for pass with Manning, until near the end when it hurts the most and cannot be recovered from, he shits the bed. He chokes.

That's his legacy in a nutshell. And after that at the end of the game what was he doing? Nyuk-nyuking it up, slapping butts and looking like it was no big deal.

Perception often reflects reality.

I will agree with you on the Denver game summing up his legacy. The guy was 25 of 36 for 506 yards with 5 TD's and 1 INT. His QB rating was 140.0 and the team put of 48 points. He had almost 100 more yards passing than Manning, who's QB rating that day was 129. Prior to the INT, he had an almost perfect QB rating (152 of 158).

So if you want to be critical of a guy who throws for over 500 yards, throws 5 TD's ans leads his team to 48 points with a 140 QBR, have at it. I'd perceive you and any others who think like you a fool, and that would truly be reality.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So if you want to be critical of a guy who throws for over 500 yards, throws 5 TD's ans leads his team to 48 points with a 140 QBR, have at it.
Those stats aren't what I'm critical of, as you well know. It's the whole shitting the bed at the worst possible time part, then it's all nyuk-nyuk afterword. I never saw anyone talk about how Romo hated losing, because clearly he didn't.
how he went about his business carrying a team with some historically bad defenses
Coming back to this old saw, because it's simply not true. We never had GREAT defenses, they were around average, middle of the pack defenses. They were never really BAD but how good can any defense be with the QB turning the ball over frequently and at the worst possible times, and quite often having streaks of 3-11 first down conversion games, tons of 3 and outs, and so on. It's a two way street.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo didn't get it done and at the end of the day, he'll be looked as a poor man's Danny White
Like hell. Danny White was the poor man's Danny White. Romo was the 70 million dollar Danny White.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But still here we are, Romo was God and completely blameless for anything. It's alllll someone else's fault.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those stats aren't what I'm critical of, as you well know. It's the whole shitting the bed at the worst possible time part, then it's all nyuk-nyuk afterword. I never saw anyone talk about how Romo hated losing, because clearly he didn't.
Coming back to this old saw, because it's simply not true. We never had GREAT defenses, they were around average, middle of the pack defenses. They were never really BAD but how good can any defense be with the QB turning the ball over frequently and at the worst possible times, and quite often having streaks of 3-11 first down conversion games, tons of 3 and outs, and so on. It's a two way street.

Holy shit bro. Just stop with the stupidity already. The 2013 Dallas Cowboys gave up more yards than all but 2 teams in NFL history. That span of football saw some of our worst defenses in team history. Yet, in 2013, Romo went 8 and 7 until he got hurt and Kyle Orton came on to shit the bed.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In 2014 the D was middle of the pack and we went 12 and 4. Tell me when we went 8 and 8 and had anything close to a top 10 defense. Man some of you guys act like you've been asleep for that period of football.

Top Bottom