C

Cr122

How the Cowboys plan on cutting down their league-leading penalty yard total
12:25 AM CDT on Friday, October 22, 2010

By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com
IRVING – Zebras became regular visitors to Cowboys practices Thursday.

FILE 2008/Staff photo
DeMarcus Ware has produced six sacks and three forced fumbles in five career games against the Giants.
In an attempt to cut into their staggering number of penalties, the Cowboys imported five officials for the practice: retired NFL referee Phil Luckett and four collegiate officials. Coach Wade Phillips said officials will work the two practices per week when the Cowboys are in pads for the remainder of the season.

The Cowboys asked the officials to focus on specific infractions that have caused problems. For example, the Cowboys are tied with Oakland for the league lead in defensive pass-interference penalties with six.

"We've got to emphasize it," Phillips said. "It hasn't been good enough, so we're going to do something else to help ourselves."

The Cowboys lead the NFL in penalty yards per game at 80.8 and rank second in penalties per game with 9.8.

Inside linebacker Keith Brooking said the value of having officials at practice is that they can focus on penalties and provide instant explanation. In normal practices, coaches focus on items such as alignments and assignments, and penalties come up well after the fact.

"To have that resource there in the moment, that's important," Brooking said before practice. "I think it can help. The more you can talk about that and be conscious of it and actually have somebody out there to help you, the better for all of us."

Luckett and Phillips have a history. In the 2000 playoffs, Luckett was the referee who ruled Tennessee used a lateral on a scoring kickoff return to defeat Phillips' Buffalo Bills. Phillips has long maintained the play should have been called back because the lateral was a forward pass.

Giant killer: Monday's game against the New York Giants gives outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware a chance to add to his sacks total. Ware has six sacks and three forced fumbles in the last five regular-season games against the Giants.

Ware is a high-quality pass-rusher against all teams. What helps him against the Giants is quarterback Eli Manning's habit of waiting in the pocket for plays to develop.

"It's just a quarterback that's back there that holds the ball," Ware said of his success against the Giants. "Hopefully, he holds it this week."

Making the best of it : Running back Tashard Choice promised to make the best of his new situation, which includes no apparent role in the offense.

Choice has not handled the football in the last two games as the Cowboys have gone with Marion Barber and Felix Jones at running back.

"My faith helps me," said Choice, a constant on special teams. "I've got to roll with it and do what I can do. It's a tough role, but a role I have to do"

Choice has been ineffective in his few chances, averaging 2.3 yards for 11 plays as a runner or receiver. A year ago, he averaged 6.1 yards on 79 chances.

More surgery for Hodge: Stephen Hodge was eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list Tuesday but on Thursday, the linebacker had a second microfracture surgery in as many years. Thursday's operation was on his right knee. Last year, he had the same procedure on his left knee and missed the 2009 season.

The Cowboys drafted Hodge in the sixth round in 2008 out of TCU and switched him from safety to linebacker. They hoped he would be a special teams' ace. Hodge will be moved to injured reserve.

Briefly : Rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant continues to have problems with a high right ankle sprain incurred during training camp and was limited during practice. Bryant's practice work probably will be limited for the foreseeable future. Phillips wants to use the time between games to help him get healthy to play. ... Left guard Kyle Kosier (Achilles tendon ) remained in a walking boot, decreasing his chances of playing against the Giants. Right tackle Marc Colombo (knee) was given a day off in honor of his veteran status. Center Andre Gurode (knee) and inside linebacker Bradie James (knee) were limited participants.

• • •

Top Bottom