bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1525126568-NS_27esch2AJ.jpg

Dane Brugler, senior NFL draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, answered your questions on the upcoming draft and the Cowboys during a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

Did you like the Cowboys' conservative approach this draft? Staying put may have cost them a starting safety and tight end in the first two rounds.

Brugler: A lot was made of the Cowboys winning in week 17, which moved the Cowboys in the draft order from pick 15/16 to pick No. 19. If they lose in week 17, they might have had the opportunity to draft Derwin James or Tremaine Edmunds. However, even if those two players were on the board, I still believe Vander Esch would have been the pick. He was pegged by the organization as their target. If the Cowboys traded up a few spots in the first round, I believe it would have been to ensure they got Vander Esch, not get James or Edmunds. In the second round, tight end was never in the conversation. Dallas target two players at No. 50: OL Connor Williams and FS Justin Reid. And at the end of the day, they went with the offensive lineman. With the Jason Witten news and Eagles trading up in front of Dallas for Dallas Goedert, the tight end narrative was created at pick No. 50 for Dallas when in reality, it was never a consideration.

Difficult to know yet but if Dallas chose to go the season with 6 WRs which names do you see on the 53?

Brugler: Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup are basically locks. Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley are good bets - Williams more because of the contract and Beasley because he is the clear best slot option. So that leaves two spots for Noah Brown, KD Cannon, Lance Lenoir, Deonte Thompson and Cedrick Wilson. Assuming all are healthy, it will make for an exciting battle in training camp. My early guesses would be Brown and Wilson - the two in the group with the most upside to continue and get better while still helping the current roster.

What is Bo Scarbrough's ceiling in the NFL? Could he be a reliable second option behind Zeke?

Brugler: In order for Scarbrough to nail down a back-up role behind Zeke, he needs to prove his reliability. He has battled injuries over his career (despite only 288 career touches at Alabama) and needs to get better in pass protection. He is at his best with a runway where he can stretch out his stride, shining on off-tackle and counter runs where the cuts are set up for him. He had 21 career catches as a receiver, but averaged only 6.2 yards per catch is largely unproven as a pass-catcher. Scarbrough certainly looks the part and there is obvious ability, but reliability is the most important ability for a subpackage player and back-up to see the field.

Did Baker Mayfield going No. 1 surprise you? Did Cleveland make a mistake?

Brugler: It surprised me a tad that Mayfield went No. 1, but it made much more sense than the Josh Allen rumors. Mayfield is a much better fit with what John Dorsey is building in Cleveland with his competitive make-up and toughness. I graded Mayfield as a top-10 pick on my draft board so I don't think it was a mistake, I certainly understand the pick. The more you study him, the more you run out of reasons to say he won't be a successful pro. The biggest question I have is how will he adjust from the OU offense to pro-style? Lincoln Riley's offense was tailor-made for Mayfield. Most thought Tyrod Taylor would be the Browns starter in 2018 as the bridge to the rookie who would sit and learn. But Mayfield isn't going to Cleveland to sit, he has a legitimate chance to beat out Taylor in training camp. Regardless, it will be interesting to monitor. I know you've heard this before, but the Browns are headed in the right direction.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thanks again, bbgun. I really do appreciate articles like this being posted I might otherwise never see.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All I can say is he better stick close to Lee because nobody else on the staff will teach him a thing.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im glad we beat philly because if dallas drafted lve when james was still on the board,, i would have lost my shit

my initial losing my shit reaction would catapult my brain into a football catharsis causing me to quit following the nfl altogether and instead spend my sundays w the wife and daughter... doing yard work, giong hiking,, communicating more........, and thus gradually developing a stronger connection to my most loved ones

so in other words the cowboys beating philly and drafting lve before derwin saved my life

amen

hh70

Spectator
Reaction score
I always like Dat Nguyen. Might be slow and small, but have great instinct. Always there to make the tackles. Tackling leaders for us for so many years.

When we drafted Sean Lee, I thought we were drafting a lot bigger and faster Nguyen. Except for injuries, no doubt he is among the best def player in NFL.

LVE is a lot bigger and faster than Lee. Also have great instinct. Can play run and pass coverage. of course not perfect like (lack of) shedding block skills, experience. But he has great tools to be developed further more.

We are not talking about a raw prospect. Just less experience. Highly athletic (SPARQ 97%) and productive. Quadrant A prospect

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...hlete-sparq-linebackers-in-the-2018-nfl-draft

I do not know how much upside does Derwin James has, but LVE is already a very2 good player (in college) with very2 high ceiling. The worst we can get is capable LB if Lee goes down. The best is Urlacher level type of LB.

Remember when we drafted Tyron Smith? He was not as good/productive as LVE, but an athelic freak (a bit better than LVE, but not much). He fell to us due to his shortcomings (strength, not technician enough) and talented draft. He was not considered as "almost a sure thing". Funny thing is that Luke Joeckel was considered a "almost a sure thing", but end up being total bust.

Now we are talking Smith as the "perfect" LT. LVE could be our next "Tyron Smith". Whether he would achieve it or not, is up to him to work it up. The tools, attitude, are there.

As for me or maybe Cowboys, that is why we prefer LVE better than Derwin James. Maybe James would end up better than LVE career wise, but Cowboys like LVE due to 1-upside, 2-position in need (FS is highly needed, but we are totally desperate @ LB).

Just like Smith vs JJ Watt. JJ Watt arguably better choice, but Smith protected/s Romo and now Dak, and Cowboys would still prefer having Tyron Smith over JJ Watt if they (could) redo their selection.

Top Bottom