bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1524835023-NS_nfldraftlede_0427spo_JL_09.jpg

Here's a look at how our Cowboys insiders grade the Leighton Vander Esch selection.

Tim Cowlishaw: C

There was no real secret that the Cowboys liked Florida State FS Derwin James, ranked by some as the top player in the draft. They thought they couldn't get close to him but he slid all the way to 17 -- two spots ahead of Dallas -- before being taken by Chargers. It's up to Vander Esch to prove they got a linebacker who will have the same impact over time as James.

Brandon George: C-minus

The Cowboys believe Leighton Vander Esch has unique size (6-4, 250) and coverage ability. He's a Sean Lee starter kit because he can play sideline to sideline but doesn't finish tackles as strong. Will McClay believes he'll come in and create turnovers right away. But he was only a one-year starter at Boise State, a former walk-on after playing 8-man football in high school. The Cowboys have to hope he's not another Bobby Carpenter-like bust. The Cowboys took him with Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans still available and also without any receivers having gone off the board.

Jon Machota: B-minus

It's a solid pick that fills a need. I don't see Leighton Vander Esch making the same impact as Derwin James, though. Once the Florida State safety made it past 14, I thought it was worth it to trade up. I'm not sure Vander Esch has Pro Bowl potential. I feel strongly that James does.

David Moore: B-minus

You can question the Cowboys' decision not to pursue safety Derwin James as he unexpectedly drifted in their direction, but not their resolve. This club is sold on Leighton Vander Esch's potential and didn't waver. He may not start immediately but should see plenty of playing time.

Kevin Sherrington: B

It feels a little like a make-up call for Jaylon Smith. Also replacing a guy they got in the fourth round. And if they hadn't beaten Philly in the finale, they could have had Derwin James. Having said all that, he certainly answers a need.

All that not enough draft grades for you? Here's a look at some more from around the nation.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Something tells me they still would have picked whitey even if James was there at 19.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something tells me they still would have picked whitey even if James was there at 19.

Yes sir....they have to seem smarter than anyone else. If they really wanted James, he was there for the taking when he slid down the draft board. Bottom line is we reached for a guy in the first round to make up for a disastrous second round pick (Gimp). I could here Rod now getting all excited and telling Jerry how LVE reminds him of Urlacher. I think Rod has Jerry's ear more so than Garrett.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just checked LVE wonderlick score and he got a 24. So at least he’s not a big dummy.

24 seemed to be the average of all the LB in this years class of LB’s. There were two standouts at 36 Jack Cichy and Fred Warner at 32. All the other LB’s were between 22-26

Just like Jimmy Johnson, I don’t want any dummy’s on my team

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I still can not believe Jeruh flew this kid into the Star on his helicopter

What was the point of that?

Now if this kid was supposed to be the next Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers then that’s one thing. But a one year starting LB? Seriously?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Look real close kid, these dusty old trophies that are older than you, are the closest you'll ever get to winning one.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Look real close kid, these dusty old trophies that are older than you, are the closest you'll ever get to winning one.

“We’ve got to get some more,” he said.

I'm sure jeri sells them in the pro shop, thats the only one he'll get if he stays in Dallas

Top Bottom