dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Utter trainwreck. Honestly one of the worst showings I think this team has ever had when all things are considered. I'm not surprised we lost, Denver is a good team and is dynamite at home, but it shocks me with how utterly inept we looked on both sides of the ball throughout the entire game. For those keeping score, in two of the last three games that counted we got ran off the field early (granted, they came back and made it a real game vs Green Bay) but it goes to show that this year ISNT any different. This coach is exactly who many of believe he is (some for longer time than others).

1) From the time the team got off the bus, they were beaten. The game plans on both sides of the ball were awful, and the in game adjustments were non-existent. I never thought I'd see our offense with a healthy OL, Dak, Zeke and Dez look so totally hopeless regardless of who we were playing. Yesterday's offense is what I would have expected had Kellen Moore played QB and Darren McFadden played RB. The defense was every bit as bad, and this despite playing a team most considered offensively challenged. Garrett fucked us from the second the coin toss was called, by deciding that putting his offense on the field against a great defense on the road, instead of kicking deep and letting their offense see if they could move the ball. This is the same offense that didn't do a ton Monday night vs San Diego (a Charger team that lost at home to Jay Cutler led Fins yesterday)

2) Bad game for Prescott, though he got no help. Multiple dropped passes (Dez, picked off, Witten dropping an easy TD, Butler again for 2nd straight week and there were one or two others IIRC). The run blocking was terrible. Zeke Elliott played what I am sure is the worst game of his career, then showed no effort at all on the ball Dez tipped for a pick to bring or pursue the DB.

3) Elliott wasn't the only one with lack of effort, there were plenty of others. Effort is a direct result of quality of coaching IMO, and while this might be the first time since Garrett has been HC that you could cite a NUMBER of guys all "checked out" in the same week, it's a problem I suspect will worsen as the weeks go by. Garrett is the anti-Jimmy as a HC.

4) I don't know how many more games they can watch where Byron Jones doesn't make any plays at FS before starting to think about a change back to CB. I gave him a pass a little last year because he was playing FS for the first time after being moved all over the defense as a rookie, but there's been no progress. He didn't do anything in preseason, and in two games so far this year he's been a big zero as well. He also got abused on run plays yesterday.

5) Only players who played good yesterday IMO were PK Bailey, P Jones, LS LaDouceur and DE Demarcus Lawrence. I think the other 42 players who were active all mailed it in. The effort and execution were as piss-poor as any game in recent memory. And no, I don't care about the ridiculous "leverage" penalty Lawrence got that some are beating him up for. I think it's a stupid rule and at least he was TRYING to do something. Most of the rest of the guys made no effort at all.

6) Massive FAIL in terms of tackling. On one single play they missed a combined 5 tackles. I think Sean Lee may have had the worst game of his college or pro career too, he was dreadful just like the rest of those slobs yesterday. When Sean Lee sux on the field, maybe it's time for someone to be taking a real hard look at the clown HC on the sideline.

7) Nolan Carroll was another guy who was beyond horrible yesterday. His coverage and tackling were equally as sorry. They (coaches) might not do it anyway, but it's too bad we have so many injuries at CB now because I wonder how much longer they'd stick with Carroll after yesterdays terrible showing.

I'm disappointed we are 1-1 but a close, hard fought loss would not have been that bad a thing, especially knowing it was on the road in Denver. But to just out and out shit the bed and get run off the field on both sides of the ball, combined with no focus or effort whatsoever and a totally inept job of coaching by all of those guys is just disheartening. There's a reason we haven't had double digit wins in consecutive seasons since 95 & 96, and based on what we saw yesterday anything better than 8-8 or 9-7 is most likely a pipe dream. I went from really wanting to believe we could make a run this year to pretty much believing we'll be lucky to finish with a winning record and sneak in the playoffs.

No question what has to be done, Garrett has gotta be replaced if we are ever going to take another significant step forward.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
When has a Garrett team ever made any in game adjustments that meant anything?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You're my favorite author. Only one complaint about the refs? You're slipping.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't know how many more games they can watch where Byron Jones doesn't make any plays at FS before starting to think about a change back to CB.

Didnt you see when they tried him at CB? He was bad, real bad. I dont see it in his future. Another non play making, over drafted DB who at this point wouldnt get 5th year option picked up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're my favorite author. Only one complaint about the refs? You're slipping.

When you get beat by 25 (and easily could have been more) the refs were the least of the concerns.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not happy about this, but since it happened... I'm hoping for more. Cowboys are not going to make it to the Super Bowl, not even the playoffs. Nor do they deserve to. A sub .500 season would be the best thing for this team. Because what you would have is Garrett entering his final season, and it will make for an interesting offseason.

Reaction score
Did these guys all smoke too much tourist weed while in Colorado? Sure seems like it from the way they played.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2) Bad game for Prescott, though he got no help. Multiple dropped passes (Dez, picked off, Witten dropping an easy TD, Butler again for 2nd straight week and there were one or two others IIRC). The run blocking was terrible. Zeke Elliott played what I am sure is the worst game of his career, then showed no effort at all on the ball Dez tipped for a pick to bring or pursue the DB.

It all revolves around the QB. Prescott was putrid. I'd also like to add some more thoughts but I don't want to piss off an Admin. I still can't believe Dooms gave you the keys to the car.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It all revolves around the QB. Prescott was putrid. I'd also like to add some more thoughts but I don't want to piss off an Admin. I still can't believe Dooms gave you the keys to the car.

You ain't gotta worry about what you say.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm not happy about this, but since it happened... I'm hoping for more. Cowboys are not going to make it to the Super Bowl, not even the playoffs. Nor do they deserve to. A sub .500 season would be the best thing for this team. Because what you would have is Garrett entering his final season, and it will make for an interesting offseason.

You sound like a 76ers fan. Do you trust the process bro?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You sound like a 76ers fan. Do you trust the process bro?

How long you been a fan? Some of us go back to Murchison's ownership (bad guy/good owner) and we have seen it all. The point being after 22 years of the front office doing their best impression of the Keystone cops, and only accomplishing making Jerry a multi billionaire, NO WE DONT TRUST THE PROCESS!

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'll bet a hundo he'll be back next year, regardless of the record (barring death).
A hundo? Hell bet the farm. Garrett has more job security than a supreme court judge. I think it has gotten to the point where ole Ginger could get caught on film banging an 8 year old boy on camera and he'd still be clapping away on the sideline next Sunday/Monday. Thats the problem when the "GM" thinks the team is perennially "thisclose"

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This meme just made me laugh

The only thing that makes our loss to the Broncos any better is knowing that the NYG are in last place
5103b356eeaf39725fe32b8d7426a765.jpg

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Appearing Tuesday on 105.3 the Fan in Dallas, Jones was asked about the criticism of Elliott.

“I think if you look at everybody’s reaction to that interception . . . certainly on that interception, if you really look at several Dallas Cowboys players on that interception you saw what would not be the case in a closely-contested ball game,” Jones said. “I think you can point to Zeke but you really have to look at the general effort to chase that ball down by most of the people that were on the field. Dak [Prescott] now, of course, gave it everything he had to try to contain that interception but still you look at it across the board and you’ll see that you need more effort than what you see.”

Jones said that some of the examples of past post-possession hustle from Cowboys players that were shown on Monday local TV will be shown to the players, and he explained that the wind had already come out of the team before the interception. So it’s clear that he doesn’t like what happened, but it’s also clear that he won’t be singling out Elliott for criticism.

To the extent that others can be chastised for minor lollygagging, the truth is that others did indeed pursue and tackle Harris. Elliott didn’t even try to bring Harris down or, even better, to rip the ball out from behind. It was a bad look for a guy who possibly thinks that a separate set of rules applies to him, possibly because that’s exactly what’s going on.

Jerry Jones defends Ezekiel Elliott’s lack of effort by pointing to other Cowboys

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see the huge issue this is being made out to be. When I saw it live, I thought Elliott was frustrated and the game was over at that point. People are just trying to find more issues. The real issue is his weight and is he dedicated to his craft? He followed up a tremendous rookie season with a questionable off-season and poor conditioning.

The greater issue is the QB. Everything revolves around the QB. The team can continue to build around a franchise QB. If Prescott is a dud, then all your other efforts become meaningless.

Top Bottom