dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch live so watched the replay on DVR.

Saw some good and some not so good. Am glad these games are essentially done (nobody other than the bottom half of the roster is gonna play Thursday I suspect, though we took a couple of hits last night so a few of the eventual 53 might have to play.

1) Last year Dak Prescott was really good, really good like in very arguably the best rookie season in the history of the league for a rookie QB. He appears significantly better this year and seems primed for huge things in his career here. Dude was throwing some serious b-b's last night, I don't think there's any questions he has some extra MPH on the fastball this year. Almost everything he has thrown in his two games has been right on the money. Those throws to Witten and RW downfield were awesome, and he just missed Dez on a deep one that seemed like he flung it 60 yards or so in the air on a rope. I keep saying it, but we got lucky beyond belief to have this guy.

2) Elliott's debut was nothing special, but he looks ready. Unfortunately due to the most biased, corrupt league action ever taken in terms punishment he's gonna miss 6 games unless we get a reprieve from the courts (assuming it goes there). McFadden ran the ball pretty well again as did Morris, so hopefully we can still be fairly balanced. But we'll miss those game breaking plays, his ability as a receiver and definitely his ability in blitz protection and that's a concern because with two new OL and an early schedule that features some blitz happy teams with good defensive players, Prescott may have to buckle up tight.

3) Jason Witten looks more fluid and agile than I've noticed the past few years. I don't know if he dropped weight or what, but he is moving around exceptionally well. James Hanna looked like he was moving around really well too and his blocking was pretty solid as well.

4) 3 sacks last night, all by DL, so that's nice. But we've now played 4 preseason games and had a lot of snaps vs bad QB's and shoddy OL's, and we still don't have an interception. The coaches cant be happy with this. They've had a couple of shots, but on most pass plays there haven't been many plays on the ball at all. Of particular concern has to be the fact that despite being good sized safeties with speed and range, neither Heath nor Byron Jones has played the pass particularly well at all, and Jones was late getting over on a deep TD to Cooper last night. Heath may have been the culprit on the other wide open TD throw. It doesn't seem to matter who they roll out there, they just cant find guys that play the ball in the air worth a shit.

5) Lael Collins had a good night blocking, but his 3 penalties were killers. 1 of them might have been pretty iffy (I think it was the hands to the face that wiped out the long gain to T Williams on perfect throw from Dak) but he's gotta get the technique part of the job down for sure. Chaz Green was decent at LG, but then got hurt (again) and never returned. Looks like Cooper may win the LG job by default.

6) Has to be serious concern about how to put this roster together now with all the injuries and suspensions. Hitchens injury though not season ending is bad news because I don't think Jaylon Smith is ready for fulltime duty, and it's likely than Damien Wilson is gonna get suspended for 4-6 games (if not more). Hitchens clearly isn't anything special, but he gives maximum effort and can play all 3 LB spots. The rookie DB's have all been made of glass and gotten almost no real reps, so it's unlikely IMO that any of them help much until after the bye or maybe even later in the season. Duke Thomas seemed primed to make the team, but he suffered a high ankle sprain and knee injury, so he is likely to begin year on IR (if not released with injury settlement). Nolan Carroll is a JAG, but he's likely getting whacked for 2-4 games too. Rico Gather seems destined for IR (maybe IR to return). Of course we're down two DL's minimum to start yr (Irvin and Moore) and Tyrone Crawford even if he plays will probably be nowhere near 100%

7) Because of the above, I bet there are 3 or 4 players not on the roster today who will be here come week one. Maybe 5 or 6. They could use several moves on defense at all 3 levels, and I wouldn't be surprised if they grab another OL. Backup QB is also still interesting. Moore should absolutely be released, but I'm not sure I'd trust Cooper Rush to be the REAL #2 guy this season. Ideally you'd keep him as the 3rd guy and get another vet (unless as I mentioned before, Tony Romo is the plan B if something significant happened to Prescott)

8) I think UDFA Lewis Neal has made the team now. Was very active again last night and had a sack plus another TFL. He doesn't look like a traditional 4-3 DL, but he does make plays. I think he has been far better than both guys they drafted in the 7th rd (Carrell and Ivie), and while I don't think much of Lance Lenoir's potential of making the active roster, he has come along pretty well from where he was in the first preseason game, both as a returner and receiver. 2nd straight game with a nice TD as a WR and he seems to be gaining confidence as a return guy. Would be interested in seeing him stick on our practice squad.

9) Seemed like there was a real effort to get Ronnie Hillman meaningful reps last night. He came in the game earlier than I expected and got quite a bit of playing time, catching 4 passes and a nice TD.

With all the suspensions and injuries, I really think 3-3 in those first 6 should be the goal. Obviously better than 3-3 would be huge, but do at least 3-3 and once Zeke returns we could win 7 or 8 of last 10, and still make some real noise in the postseason. While some of the defenses we face early could create some issues for us, the good news is other than Green Bay and maybe Arizona, none of those first 6 opponents has an offense which should put up a lot of points either. We could definitely be in all 6 games and with Prescott and the kicking game we have, that should be enough to get us 3 or (hopefully) more wins to start the year.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With all the suspensions and injuries, I really think 3-3 in those first 6 should be the goal.
I am with ya on this. If they go 3-3 the first six games, I think that would be somewhat reasonable expectations. Neal has a little LaRoy Glover to his game IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am with ya on this. If they go 3-3 the first six games, I think that would be somewhat reasonable expectations. Neal has a little LaRoy Glover to his game IMO.

That's a pretty good call. Similar kinds of builds and games.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
again, we're gonna get raped through the air this season. if you have a white guy starting in your secondary, that's a red flag right there. but Byron will always have the long-jump to look back on.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
again, we're gonna get raped through the air this season. if you have a white guy starting in your secondary, that's a red flag right there. but Byron will always have the long-jump to look back on.

We had two white guys in the 70's back there

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
We had two white guys in the 70's back there

who were raped by the likes of Swann, Stallworth, Harold Jackson, John Gilliam, etc. in any event, a special teams guy like Heath ain't in Cliff Harris's class.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
who were raped by the likes of Swann, Stallworth, Harold Jackson, John Gilliam, etc. in any event, a special teams guy like Heath ain't in Cliff Harris's class.

I like Heath, but I liked him better in his role last year. Really wish we still had Barry Church.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
we got lucky beyond belief to have this guy.

couldn't agree more, I pinch myself constantly at our good fortune and that so many of the trades fell through and no one grabbed him before we did

just think, if they had pulled off the Lynch trade, they'd likely not have Jaylon or Dak

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Great summation dbair. One question though, not related to your OP, but did I see Sean Lee playing MIKE last night? Then Jaylon coming in as replacement? When did they put Lee back at MIKE where he's gonna get stove up, and what insane idiot strategy is it not to have them both on the field at the same time?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
couldn't agree more, I pinch myself constantly at our good fortune and that so many of the trades fell through and no one grabbed him before we did

just think, if they had pulled off the Lynch trade, they'd likely not have Jaylon or Dak

And we wouldn't have had Maliek Collins either, as they claimed the only reason the trade didn't go down is we wouldn't give up our 3rd. We were offering our 2 & 4, and Seattle said no.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Great summation dbair. One question though, not related to your OP, but did I see Sean Lee playing MIKE last night? Then Jaylon coming in as replacement? When did they put Lee back at MIKE where he's gonna get stove up, and what insane idiot strategy is it not to have them both on the field at the same time?

I didn't notice. On the re-air of the game they cut out a series or two for each side.

Hitchens got hurt at the very end of the 1st half (there was like 20 seconds left).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kinda interesting that Lael Collins got flagged twice for hands to face calls (one of which didn't appear to be in the face by the way, as Moose pointed out in broadcast)

But on the play where Green/Fred gave up that sack on Prescott, there's a clip isolating Collins against the DE and the Raider DE is all up in Collins face mask. No call there.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
there was another play where he was called for holding, but he merely fell on top of the guy when his momentum took him to the ground. omg, I just agreed with dbair about poor officiating.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep. Even if the secondary sucks again this year I won't miss the stiffs we had back there the last decade.
Maybe they will be intelligent enough to know that "you gotta have a short memory" is just a saying and not take it literally and actually LEARN from their mistakes, get better as time goes on, and not be making all the same mistakes repeatedly, game after game, year after year like the Legion of Boobs did..

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

When we are scouting an opponent and see white DBs, we know it's a vertical week.

Top Bottom