theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Adoree’ Jackson was atop Dallas’ wish list yet was no longer available when the ‘Boys were called to the clock in Round 1, so they went with Taco Charlton. The fierce edge rusher is an excellent fit for the Cowboys four-man front and comes with nice upside.

Cordrea Tankersley was initially targeted in Round 2 but when Chidobe Awuzie fell in their laps he was too good to pass up. Awuzie can line up on the outside, over the slot receiver and even play some safety. The feeling entering the draft was that Awuzie was a lock first-round pick, but as we reported a lack of length hurt the talented corner. The pick will end up being a steal for Dallas.

Jourdan Lewis is another who falls short for the tape measure, but like Awuzie he offers talent, versatility and excellent ball skills. Lewis will be a solid dime back at the next level, but he does have a court date on July 10 over a domestic violence charge.

Ryan Switzer in Round 4 was another solid pick. He was graded as one of the best route-runners in the draft and will line up in the slot on Sundays. His punt-return skills should secure him a spot on the roster.

I'm not a fan of sixth-round choice Xavier Woods. He's a one dimensional safety with average size. Marquez White was highly rated entering the season but looks very ordinary on film. He'll have to stand out on special teams to make the roster.

The team's three picks in Round 7 are intriguing.

Joey Ivie is a hustle guy who gets the most from his ability and may be tough to cut. Noah Brown offers a lot of potential but is rough around the edges and needs work on his game. I could see Brown ending up on the practice squad. I was given the heads up on Jordan Carrell after his pro day but didn’t think he was going to get drafted. Despite being the fourth-rated prospect on the Buffs defensive line he was the only one selected during the draft. Carell is an athletic guy with nice upside.

Dallas did not draft a tight end, but undrafted signee Blake Jarwin may have a future with the team. Jarwin has incredible measurables and offers a great upside but must starting playing to his potential on a consistent basis. Offensive linemen Dan Skipper and Nate Theaker were both terrific pickups and should be destined for the practice squad.

Analysis: Dallas is a playoff team hoping to take the next step, so they were looking for limited help through the draft; I believe they got it. Their top three picks should see action as rookies and many of their last-day selections will make a roster in the league, whether it's the practice squad with Dallas or the active roster for another franchise. Grade: B+

Grading the Draft: Dallas Cowboys | Draft Analyst

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas is a playoff team
No, it is not. It is a 8-8 team that happens to make the playoffs occasionally, as a one and done flop.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Adoree Jackson in the first? NO THANKS

He was supposedly our #1 guy most of the draft process. They knew the last week that he was going to be gone before the pick and zeroed in on Takk and Taco, as well as hoping some other guys might fall. Taco was a "worst case scenario" at 28 but one they were perfectly okay with.

Adoree is a special athlete and again, this FO loved him.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He was supposedly our #1 guy most of the draft process. They knew the last week that he was going to be gone before the pick and zeroed in on Takk and Taco, as well as hoping some other guys might fall. Taco was a "worst case scenario" at 28 but one they were perfectly okay with.

Adoree is a special athlete and again, this FO loved him.

Inside info?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, it is not. It is a 8-8 team that happens to make the playoffs occasionally, as a one and done flop.

I'd say the Cowboys are a playoff team with an 8-8 coach.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't keep up with grades on these different draft gurus, but I always used to like Pauline the best back in the day.

Also, looked at his 2018 mock... Guess who he has picking #32.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd say the Cowboys are a playoff team with an 8-8 coach.
It's a 8-8 team with a 4-12 coach. Our personnel is quite suspect in every phase of the game, with the offense being just a tad above mediocre overall.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's a 8-8 team with a 4-12 coach. Our personnel is quite suspect in every phase of the game, with the offense being just a tad above mediocre overall.

You seriously consider the running game mediocre? Damn, I'd love to see what you think a great running game looks like.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

The offense is a tad more than mediocre.

The defense is young, inexperienced, and in too many positions, untalented.

The coaching, head coach specifically, is jealous of the defense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The offense is a tad more than mediocre
Yep that is what I said, "a tad above mediocre."
You seriously consider the running game mediocre?
Never said anything even remotely resembling that. But imagine what it could be, if you had a coach who really wanted to feature it. Who really wanted to maximize it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yep that is what I said, "a tad above mediocre."Never said anything even remotely resembling that. But imagine what it could be, if you had a coach who really wanted to feature it. Who really wanted to maximize it.

I definitely understand that. I'm still scratching my head as to why the fuck Zeke would come out on 3rd and short and be replaced with Lance Dunbar. I think if they had a real head coach that would really feature the run *cough*Harbaugh* and build the defense, the talent they have right now could dominate the entire NFL. The only thing holding them back right now is having a 4-12 coach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
, with the offense being just a tad above mediocre overall.

LOL WAT?

1) Rookie QB just completes best season in history of league for a rookie QB, ranks 3rd in passer rating.
2) Rookie RB leads league in rushing (by over 300 yards, despite not playing at all in season finale)
3) Team had 3 all pro caliber OL
4) Team ranks 5th in league in scoring
5) Team ranks 5th in league in total offense

But its "tad above mediocre"

STFU

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep that is what I said, "a tad above mediocre.

I think cmd meant to say that the offense is significantly MORE than "just a tad more" above mediocre.

"Never said anything even remotely resembling that. But imagine what it could be, if you had a coach who really wanted to feature it. Who really wanted to maximize it.

I'd settle for a coach that would just not interfere, and simply let Linehan run the offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
LOL WAT?

1) Rookie QB just completes best season in history of league for a rookie QB, ranks 3rd in passer rating.
2) Rookie RB leads league in rushing (by over 300 yards, despite not playing at all in season finale)
3) Team had 3 all pro caliber OL
4) Team ranks 5th in league in scoring
5) Team ranks 5th in league in total offense

But its "tad above mediocre"

STFU

Personell wise and counting the whole roster including ST, this is a mediocre team. The only thing that makes it a tad above mediocre is the offensive personnel.

One good year does not superstar make. Dak and Zeke are going to find the sledding quite a bit tougher in 2017.

Once again - this is a 8-8 team with a 4-12 coach but like all other mediocre teams in the league of which there are 20 or so, they are capable of having a magic, lucky, 12 or 13 win season here and there.

Top Bottom