theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
FRISCO (105.3 THE FAN) – Are we still paying attention to Mel Kiper Jr.?

ESPN’s Kiper is, of course, among the original media draftniks, and deserves respect for having carved himself such a wide and successful niche. But I decided 25 years ago that my approach to the NFL Draft was to attempt to learn the pre-Draft plans of a team (the Dallas Cowboys) and then to grade them on the execution of their plan.

To do it any other way is to pretend that I know more about how to scout talent and assemble a football team than does Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Jason Garrett, Will McClay and their staffs.

Dallas’ plan was to let the draft fall to them, in a way in which they could take a top-rated pass-rusher at 28 and a cornerback at 60, in a way in which most of their picks would be on the defensive side of the ball, in a way in which they’d have multiple “darts’’ to throw in such a deep draft.

I say they accomplished all of that. That doesn’t mean Taco Charlton (that first-round pass-rusher at 28) will be better than T.J. Watt (who they passed on, believing he’s more of an outside linebacker); it just means that for the most part, they stuck with their board and stuck with their plan.

Thus, I give them an “A’’ for execution.

Kiper? He gives the Cowboys a “B-minus.’’

His reasoning:

“I thought they missed an opportunity at pick No. 28 to get a first-round talent — Kevin King and Budda Baker were still on the board — and instead chose Taco Charlton, a 6-foot-6, 277-pound defensive end who is a much better run defender than pass-rusher. Yes, Dallas needed an end after DeMarcus Lawrence underwhelmed last season and Randy Gregory was suspended for at least the 2017 season, but a premier pass-rusher made more sense. I don’t think that’s Charlton, who is No. 46 on my board.

“Dallas’ Day 2 was much better. Chidobe Awuzie, the best tackling corner in this draft, and Jourdan Lewis, likely a slot corner, will play early and often. Lewis is facing misdemeanor domestic violence charges, however. Ryan Switzer wasn’t in my top 300, but I can see why teams like him. … I do wonder how Dallas will get both him and Cole Beasley on the field together. Noah Brown was much higher on my board (168) than where he went (239).

“Without many picks, the Cowboys got some value after Round 1, but the Charlton pick is a bit of a head-scratcher. Seven of nine picks on defense show that Dallas knows it has to improve there to be a true Super Bowl contender.’’

Kiper isn’t automatically wrong here; as always, the question is, do the TV draftniks (or even our 105.3 The Fan aces Broaddus, Brugler, Cavanaugh and Turner) know more than McClay’s scouting department and Garrett’s coaching staff?

It’s a 10-year examination that is about to unfold, and too early to judge the players.

But I can judge the plan. And the plan gets an “A.’’

Kiper’s Cowboys Grade Vs. Fish’s ‘Grading The Plan’ « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I've been saying for years that Kiper is a hack. That's one guy ESPN missed with all their recent lay off's.

Do the Cowboys need a dominant edge rusher? Sure they do, but was that guy there at 28? Nope. Is Edge rusher the only position the Cowboys need? Hell no, they needs help all over that defense. Taco was the best fit of the guys that were left. Would King have been a good pick? Sure, but is King that much better than Awuzie? From everything I've been reading they're pretty much right on par with each other. Also Jourdan Lewis might be better than both of them. Is Bowser or Willis a better DE than Taco? Not even close. So based on who was available Taco still seems like the best pick. A case can be made for Watt at 28 but his injury history was my biggest concern.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't really get carried away with what people grade drafts. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My only criticism of draft grades come when these "experts" downgrade certain teams drafts, even though their OWN ratings suggest a team did extremely well. Basically they are admitting their work is garbage at that point.

Gosselin was the #1 offender on that for years. I used to lay into him and his ignorant opinions after a draft and his responses amounted to "I know you are but what I am I?" kindergarten b/s. Kiper did the same sort of thing and that was why I stopped getting his draft guides years ago.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Fisher is still checking with his sources on players the Cowboys are after for the draft.

He just reported that his sources are telling him that the Browns are going to take Myles Garrett with the first pick.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, where it stands right now, OT, TE, DE would be my top 3 priorities in the 1st round.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says. I love this draft.

I dont think anybody here hates this draft. I agree they werent getting a war daddy at 28, I dont think McKinley is one either. That is price you pay for having a great regular season and then leaving a floater in the bowl in the playoffs. To me a war daddy would be someone that opponents have to game plan for. There are maybe a couple of those guys per draft and they are usually long gone by the end of the first round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He just reported that his sources are telling him that the Browns are going to take Myles Garrett with the first pick.

Check back with him in 10 mins, there might be another Fish Scoop on that

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Are we still paying attention to Fisher???? I'd rather pay attention to Kiper myself

Top Bottom