bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1493359111-WASHINGTON_SPRING_FOOTBALL_56531600.JPG

FRISCO -- The Dallas Cowboys got their man Thursday night. They targeted a defensive end in the first round and came away with Michigan's Taco Charlton at pick No. 28.

Now onto the second and third rounds of the draft Friday night in Philadelphia.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the club would like to draft a cornerback with their second-round pick to boost a secondary that saw four of its top players leave for other teams in free agency.

Here are 10 players -- all of whom were among the Cowboys' 29 pre-draft visitors to The Star -- who are still available and possible targets for Dallas in either the second or third rounds:

Player; College; Pos.; Ht.; Wt.

Chidobe Awuzie; Colorado; CB; 6-0; 202

Second-team all-conference player last two years with a combined 22 pass breakups.

Tyus Bowser; Houston; DE; 6-3; 247

Led Cougars with 8.5 sacks in 8 games after missing one month after a fight with a teammate led to a broken orbital bone.

Justin Evans; Texas A&M; S; 6-0; 199

Somewhat undersized but makes up for it with speed, had 4 INTs as a senior.

Kevin King; Washington; CB; 6-3; 200

Cowboys strongly considered him with first-round pick, has length that could make him elite.

Malik McDowell; Michigan State; DT; 6-6; 295

His production dipped last season, but he was slowed by a mid-season ankle injury, has speed to play outside as well.

Obi Melifonwu; Connecticut; S; 6-4; 224

Four-year starter led UConn with 118 tackles, 4 interceptions last season.

Fabian Moreau; UCLA; CB; 6-0; 206

Led Bruins with 10 pass breakups last season after Lisfranc injury in his left foot ended his previous year.

Curtis Samuel; Ohio State; WR; 5-11; 196

One of only two offensive players to make pre-draft visits for Cowboys, has ability to play RB, WR and kick returner.

Teez Tabor; Florida; CB; 6-0; 199

First-team All-SEC player last two seasons, had 4 interceptions, 6 pass breakups last year.

Quincy Wilson; Florida; CB; 6-1; 211

Second-team All-SEC pick last season had 3 interceptions, 6 pass breakups.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Stevie already said CB and I believe him this time. There are plenty of guys I dont want on the list. Beat writers are of the opinion it will be either of the two Florida CBs if available, I'd rather have Wilson. Absolutely dont want Obi or Evans. Most intrigued by Samuel but it wont happen. Is it me or is there something really feminine about King?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
On that list Kevin King would be the #1 guy I would want. After that I would take Tyus Bowser or Malik McDowell if they're still there. Zach Cunningham is another guy I'd consider if he's still on the board (although not in this list). After that Fabian Moreau would be my next choice. Also I know that we don't need a RB this high but Curtis Samuel really intrigues me. He would be the player they envisioned Dunbar being. The biggest difference between the two is Samuel can actually play. Also he'd be a legit threat from the RB position. I would only consider Tabor or Quincy Wilson if they're there in the 3rd.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
On that list Kevin King would be the #1 guy I would want. After that I would take Tyus Bowser or Malik McDowell if they're still there. Zach Cunningham is another guy I'd consider if he's still on the board (although not in this list). After that Fabian Moreau would be my next choice. Also I know that we don't need a RB this high but Curtis Samuel really intrigues me. He would be the player they envisioned Dunbar being. The biggest difference between the two is Samuel can actually play. Also he'd be a legit threat from the RB position. I would only consider Tabor or Quincy Wilson if they're there in the 3rd.
I don't think they'll pick a RB until day 3, if at all. Someone like Pumphrey would be my guess.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think they'll pick a RB until day 3, if at all. Someone like Pumphrey would be my guess.

Really that's where they should be looking at RB if they plan to take one. I also wouldn't be upset that if they took a QB like Kayaa or Dobbs if they're still in the board in the 6th.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Dallas could steal Tabor at 3, then I'm all for it.

Still a headscratcher because when you watch in him games, he is really good. Just cant understand the really slow 40 times. He doesn't look like a track guy on the football field but no way does he look like a 4.7 guy either.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Stevie already said CB and I believe him this time. There are plenty of guys I dont want on the list. Beat writers are of the opinion it will be either of the two Florida CBs if available, I'd rather have Wilson. Absolutely dont want Obi or Evans. Most intrigued by Samuel but it wont happen. Is it me or is there something really feminine about King?

Basically there are no players you want dude. You've hated on 95% + of anyone connected in any way, shape or form to the Cowboys this draft season.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Still a headscratcher because when you watch in him games, he is really good. Just cant understand the really slow 40 times. He doesn't look like a track guy on the football field but no way does he look like a 4.7 guy either.

He's the Emmitt Smith of cornerbacks.

But seriously. He played against some fast receivers in the SEC and had no problems matching up with them stride for stride. Great awareness is the greatest equalizer.

BTW my money is on Dallas taking Clemson CB Cordrea Tankersley in the 2nd. We're supposedly really high on him. And he definitely fits the Dallas mold for CBs; 6'1, 4.4 speed.

Dude has freakishly long arms too. 32.25" Almost as long as Charlton's.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's the Emmitt Smith of cornerbacks.

But seriously. He played against some fast receivers in the SEC and had no problems matching up with them stride for stride. Great awareness is the greatest equalizer.

BTW my money is on Dallas taking Clemson CB Cordrea Tankersley in the 2nd. We're supposedly really high on him. And he definitely fits the Dallas mold for CBs; 6'1, 4.4 speed.

Dude has freakishly long arms too. 32.25" Almost as long as Charlton's.

Totally good with us getting Tankersley. Or Quincy Wilson at 60.

I know many hate him but I also don't mind Obi for us.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Carolina really trying to upgrade their offense with McCaffrey and Curtis.

Top Bottom