English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
b1602f52de11766daa5bd2ea12a22883.gif

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Welp I suppose a gut like that will lower his center of gravity and be harder to knock off his feet as he slowly tries to turn the corner? So how many 2nd rounders in a row have they blown now?

Reaction score
Syllogism of the 2017 offseason:

DeMarcus Lawrence is a Dallas defensive end.
Jerry said Dallas needs a war daddy to improve the defense.
DeMarcus Lawrence is not a war daddy who improves the defense as a defensive end.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's going into the last year of his first contract and already has had two very significant back surgeries.

Unless he has a pretty good year, this might be it for him here.

As for the pic, I saw something on CZ but honestly it doesn't worry me much. I'm sure he hasn't been allowed to do much, if any running or hard cardio work depending on what they actually did to his back. He might not even be allowed to do gym work.

Reaction score
At full strength Lawrence is not a solution to the "get after the QB" problem on the d-line. He never was. At most he is an 8 sack/
Season player. He is not big or fast or nimble or crafty or explosive. Even when he was drafted, it was kind of like "meh, he's the only one left out of the top 20 prospects (similar to the Wilcox and AOA drafts). Lawrence is a strong athlete but it's not translating to an irreplaceable force at DE. He's just a good rotational player who may or may not have a sack and a good game every other week.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
At full strength Lawrence is not a solution to the "get after the QB" problem on the d-line. He never was. At most he is an 8 sack/
Season player. He is not big or fast or nimble or crafty or explosive. Even when he was drafted, it was kind of like "meh, he's the only one left out of the top 20 prospects (similar to the Wilcox and AOA drafts). Lawrence is a strong athlete but it's not translating to an irreplaceable force at DE. He's just a good rotational player who may or may not have a sack and a good game every other week.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an 8 sack a yr player, especially one that can get those numbers if playing LDE (which he did in 2015 when he had his best yr, and really only pseudo healthy year)

Your recollection of his draft status is also pretty iffy. He was regarded by most as a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick.

That said, I think its a long shot that he gets a 2nd contract here with Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's really all about the timing ain't it?

Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to "timing" in regards to when the guy gets his sacks?

Sacks are still sacks. Sure you'd love them to all be on 3rd down and force a punt, but they are still negative plays regardless of what down they come on. They all count. I'd rather somebody get them regardless of what down it is rather than someone who doesn't get any.

People have this fucking ridiculous idea that guys who get double digit sacks just fall out of trees and that any number less than 10 is lousy, when in fact 10+ sacks is a solid accomplishment just about any year. Last year only 16 players had double digit sack totals and only 6 of those were pure 4-3 DE's, and none were DT's.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with an 8 sack a yr player

that's one year, not his career average. when you throw in his bad back and suspension, that makes me leery of rewarding him long-term.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to "timing" in regards to when the guy gets his sacks?

Sacks are still sacks. Sure you'd love them to all be on 3rd down and force a punt, but they are still negative plays regardless of what down they come on. They all count. I'd rather somebody get them regardless of what down it is rather than someone who doesn't get any.
Charles Haley style. Coming up big in big situations in big games. The old Harvey Martin thing. "Sacks are still sacks" yeah, but interceptions are still interceptions too. But timing is everything as far as real impact on the game.
People have this fucking ridiculous idea that guys who get double digit sacks just fall out of trees and that any number less than 10 is lousy, when in fact 10+ sacks is a solid accomplishment just about any year. Last year only 16 players had double digit sack totals and only 6 of those were pure 4-3 DE's, and none were DT's.
No argument from me here. But like i said, i like the sacks to be well timed. I don't really give a shit if a guy gets a bunch of sacks early in the season then just sort of goes away the rest of it. I would much rather see him get one here and there early in the season, then get 4-5 later on late in late-season games that end things for the opponent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
that's one year, not his career average. when you throw in his bad back and suspension, that makes me leery of rewarding him long-term.

Hence why I said I think its unlikely he gets a 2nd contract from us.

This is a big year for him here. If he doesn't do much I doubt he's back, even under a 1 or 2yr deal.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
a contract year, which is another reason to be dubious if he produces

The health thing is the bigger issue. If he shows he is healthy and no further problems with the back AND has a really good year then signing him to a multi year deal is absolutely the right thing to do.

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with an 8 sack a yr player, especially one that can get those numbers if playing LDE (which he did in 2015 when he had his best yr, and really only pseudo healthy year)

Your recollection of his draft status is also pretty iffy. He was regarded by most as a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick.

That said, I think its a long shot that he gets a 2nd contract here with Dallas.

1. I said he is a good rotational player which points to 8 sacks a year being "good".
2. He's obviously not THE solution to what is ailing the passrush or there would be no need for the war daddy.
3. I do remember the draft vividly and, like the AOA and Wilcox picks, there were measley leftovers of the upper tier regarded picks. By the time Dallas HAD to make a move, the choices were very few and not great.
4. Fails the eyeball test for freakish ability. Can't depend on his size or speed or bend or hustle. When he does make plays it's just because the situation was good for him. No team is gameplanning to stop him like a Ware or maybe one of the EDGE players in the current draft.

Top Bottom