Reaction score
13-3 means very little.

Having a record setting, league-leading RB means very little.

Have said RB also means very little on 3rd down

This stat means very little when your HC decides your team is the 81 Chargers: PFF reports "When targeting Cole Beasley, Dak Prescott averaged a 122.8 passer rating -- the highest for any WR with at least 75 targets."

Also above stat means very little for most of playoff game until too late in the fourth quarter and the team needs first downs.

A WR does not have to catch as long as he can block.

Above WR also does not have to get out of bounds to stop clock as long as he was trying to get the first down.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A WR does not have to catch as long as he can block.

Above WR also does not have to get out of bounds to stop clock as long as he was trying to get the first down.
We also learned Garrett can STILL fuck up a season with one toweringly bad, idiotic decision. "Yes, let's spike the ball instead of running a play and possibly icing the game by scoring a touchdown, let's just play for the FG and make sure Aaron Rodgers still has enough time to beat us."

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yup, Garrett should have played it to where there was just enough time to kick a FG or miss and go to OT.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We also learned Garrett can STILL fuck up a season with one toweringly bad, idiotic decision. "Yes, let's spike the ball instead of running a play and possibly icing the game by scoring a touchdown, let's just play for the FG and make sure Aaron Rodgers still has enough time to beat us."

He fucked up TWICE in that game, and all near the end of both halves. The first one when the Cowboys were on the Packers' 15 yard line, and 1st and 10. He decided to keep Zeke on the bench for that entire series, and threw all passes, and had to settle for a FG. It's like he tries to run the game like he does practice. He basically ran the exact same passing play on that series --- trying to force it to Witten. It's like, "ok let's run it again, and we will run it again, until we get it right".

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He fucked up TWICE in that game, and all near the end of both halves. The first one when the Cowboys were on the Packers' 15 yard line, and 1st and 10. He decided to keep Zeke on the bench for that entire series, and threw all passes, and had to settle for a FG. It's like he tries to run the game like he does practice. He basically ran the exact same passing play on that series --- trying to force it to Witten. It's like, "ok let's run it again, and we will run it again, until we get it right".
Glad you remembered that series, I'd forgotten this. Both times he already had tunnel vision, playing for the FG instead of the kill. Mind made up we're gonna try to get a FG.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

In their defense, on that series before halftime the Packers did get away with blatant interference on Witten on one of those plays. We should have had 1st and goal.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you remembered that series, I'd forgotten this. Both times he already had tunnel vision, playing for the FG instead of the kill. Mind made up we're gonna try to get a FG.

If you are going to post like a ******, you should at least know what you are talking about.

The first series before halftime they threw the ball every time, trying to get a TD. They didn't play for a FG. The valid criticism there is they had plenty of time, they should have kept Elliott in the game and maybe ran the ball once or twice, or at least have him in there for the threat of the run.

The series at the end of the game the criticism is he SHOULD have managed the clock to play for the FG and OT. Instead they spiked the ball to stop the clock and then threw the ball on the next two plays.

They were playing for the TD both times genius.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We learned that when the team is as set up for post season success as it will ever be (home field, bye week, dont have to leave Texas) the HC will find a way to fuck it up. If last year doesnt tell you it will NEVER HAPPEN with Garrett, nothing will. Probably look back for years as the biggest wasted opportunity ever.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We learned that when the team is as set up for post season success as it will ever be (home field, bye week, dont have to leave Texas) the HC will find a way to fuck it up. If last year doesnt tell you it will NEVER HAPPEN with Garrett, nothing will. Probably look back for years as the biggest wasted opportunity ever.

Everything with the team ultimately falls onto the HC, but you cant dismiss how bad the defense was in the first half of that game either. We all knew and expected that at some point in the season, the defense would be the ultimate downfall, and it was. Teams rarely win playoff games when giving up 34 pts and nearly 500 yds.

They did the right thing by letting most of those free agents walk. Now they need to upgrade those guys.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah the defense sucked and letting JAGs walk was the right call, but what if anything about Garrett give you the slightest bit of confidence? In six and a half years he has won 56% of his regular season games, has made the playoffs twice, and if it werent for an obvious PI that went uncalled against Det, would have zero playoff wins. Most coaches and GMs nowadays get three years, and its win or go home. I'd be shocked if we werent all bitching about the exact same shit a year from now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah the defense sucked and letting JAGs walk was the right call, but what if anything about Garrett give you the slightest bit of confidence? In six and a half years he has won 56% of his regular season games, has made the playoffs twice, and if it werent for an obvious PI that went uncalled against Det, would have zero playoff wins. Most coaches and GMs nowadays get three years, and its win or go home. I'd be shocked if we werent all bitching about the exact same shit a year from now.

I'm not advocating for him, just pointing out there are some other factors to. He isn't (and never will be IMO) a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Belichick type HC. I'd say he's slightly better than boobs like Switzer, Gailey, Campo and Wade, which isn't saying much.

We can agree to disagree on that Detroit b/s. They still would have needed to score, and their offense had done nothing that game after the first quarter. It wasn't like they had 1st and goal on the 1 either.

I think the best we can hope for with Garrett is we have enough talent on both sides of the ball & that combined with strong assistants we could have a somewhat similar type of scenario as what we had in 94/95/96 with Switzer. The talent and the assistants overcame the shortcomings of the HC.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If you are going to post like a ******, you should at least know what you are talking about.

The first series before halftime they threw the ball every time, trying to get a TD. They didn't play for a FG. The valid criticism there is they had plenty of time, they should have kept Elliott in the game and maybe ran the ball once or twice, or at least have him in there for the threat of the run.

The series at the end of the game the criticism is he SHOULD have managed the clock to play for the FG and OT. Instead they spiked the ball to stop the clock and then threw the ball on the next two plays.

They were playing for the TD both times genius.

I sure dont remember any passes into the end zone on either of those two series. To my recollection the passes were of the posession variety, in lieu of running the ball, to try to 'fool 'em.' Risk-averse Ginger plays for FGs and if a TD happens instead it's just a bonus to him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I sure dont remember any passes into the end zone on either of those two series. To my recollection the passes were of the posession variety, in lieu of running the ball, to try to 'fool 'em.' Risk-averse Ginger plays for FGs and if a TD happens instead it's just a bonus to him.

Just wave the white flag Dooms

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

How could you have forgotten that series? If you go back to the game thread, you will read as to how I said the game would be lost RIGHT THERE on that series. You in the red zone (15 yard line) 1st and 10, and you have the BEST OLINE in the league, the BEST RB in the the league... and you keep him on the sidelines for the entire series... THAT. IS. FUCKING. UN. FORGIVABLE!

Could any of us imagine Jimmy Johnson doing that to Emmitt under those circumstances?

I'm about to get conspiratorial here, but could we have been looking at this all wrong? Meaning could we possibly have a Pete Rose-like situation here, where Garrett could be betting against the Cowboys or betting against/for the spread? You gambling experts (Middie) help me out here. Yeah I know it sounds far-fetched, but how far-fetched would it sound before it happen, that Garrett would keep Zeke on the sidelines while in the red zone?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In their defense, on that series before halftime the Packers did get away with blatant interference on Witten on one of those plays. We should have had 1st and goal.

I get that dbair, but keeping Zeke on the sidelines is indefensible.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Everything with the team ultimately falls onto the HC, but you cant dismiss how bad the defense was in the first half of that game either. We all knew and expected that at some point in the season, the defense would be the ultimate downfall, and it was. Teams rarely win playoff games when giving up 34 pts and nearly 500 yds.

They did the right thing by letting most of those free agents walk. Now they need to upgrade those guys.

dbair... take a look at all the defenses in the playoffs. There were only three or maybe four top defenses in both conferences: Giants, Dolphins, Broncos, and Chiefs. The rest --- including the Cowboys were pedestrian. But those other teams had sense not to put the game to where it would fall upon the defense to win.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for him, just pointing out there are some other factors to. He isn't (and never will be IMO) a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Belichick type HC. I'd say he's slightly better than boobs like Switzer, Gailey, Campo and Wade, which isn't saying much.

We can agree to disagree on that Detroit b/s. They still would have needed to score, and their offense had done nothing that game after the first quarter. It wasn't like they had 1st and goal on the 1 either.

I think the best we can hope for with Garrett is we have enough talent on both sides of the ball & that combined with strong assistants we could have a somewhat similar type of scenario as what we had in 94/95/96 with Switzer. The talent and the assistants overcame the shortcomings of the HC.

Dude GTFOH with that. He's the worst coach of the entire bunch. Garrett would not have won a SUoper Bowl with Johnson's team like Switzer. He is not better than Gailey. Garrett has had a much more talented team than Gailey. Campo won 5 games with Quincy Carter. Garrett could only win 1 game with Weeden, Moore, and Cassell. And no he was not better than Wade. Wade won as many games (percentage-wise) and as many playoff games in half the time. No telling how the Cowboys could have done under Wade if Wade could have chosen his own OC.

Top Bottom