Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys knew they were taking a chance in 2016 by having Barry Church, J.J. Wilcox, Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne in the last year of their respective contracts. Now they have to replace all four of them.

Church signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Wilcox signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Carr has agreed to a four-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens, and Claiborne is expected to sign with the New York Jets.

That’s 2,679 defensive snaps in 2016 gone from the team.

That’s a lot to replace.

The Cowboys have held to their fiscal sanity during the free-agency period, but will it cost them?

The Cowboys have made it clear that they don’t believe safeties should be paid big (or maybe medium) dollars. Church put up four straight seasons with 100 tackles and was one of their best playmakers and a defensive captain. They could have gotten something done with him last offseason if they truly wanted. Wilcox never developed, so his departure was expected.

The Cowboys had talks with the agents for Carr and Claiborne, but they held firm on their price.

Carr was the Cowboys’ last big-money free agent at five years and $50 million in 2012. He did not live up to the value of the contract -- and took a pay cut to remain with the team last year -- but he played in every game. His biggest asset was availability.

The Cowboys traded up to the No. 6 pick in the draft to get Claiborne in 2012, but he never played to that level. And he never played a full season. He showed glimpses of his potential in 2016, but missed the last nine games of the regular season with a groin injury. He leaves with four interceptions in five seasons.

The Cowboys added Nolan Carroll at cornerback last week and will team him up with Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown, but the Cowboys need more at the position. Carroll and Scandrick are 30. Scandrick missed four games last season because of hamstring strains and did not play in 2015 because of a serious knee injury. Carroll started all 16 games for the first time in his career last season, but the Cowboys did not sign him a year ago after he visited the club, in part because of worries over an ankle injury. Brown outperformed the expectations of a sixth-round pick last year, but he is far from a lock to develop into a true starter.

As the roster sits right now, the Cowboys must find a cornerback in the draft, and they must find one early.

The good news? It appears to be a strong year for corners in the draft.

The bad news? The Cowboys have struggled in evaluating cornerbacks.

Between taking Scandrick in the fifth round of the 2008 draft and Brown in the sixth round last year, the Cowboys have drafted seven cornerbacks and none made a large impact: DeAngelo Smith (fifth round, 2009), Mike Mickens (seventh round, 2009), Jamar Wall (sixth round, 2010), Josh Thomas (fifth round, 2011), Claiborne, B.W. Webb (fourth round, 2013) and Terrance Mitchell (seventh round, 2014).

Byron Jones was drafted as a corner in the first round in 2015, but he was moved to safety by the end of his rookie year.

That’s a poor run by any measure, even if most of them were late-round picks. They couldn’t find one to stick?

That’s another reason why their approach to cornerback this offseason appears, to be kind, curious.

It’s one thing to be fiscally responsible. It’s another to ignore a position that takes on even greater importance with a pass rush that has been, to be kind again, lacking since DeMarcus Ware left town.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the Green Bay playoff losses in 2 of the last 3 years finally made what was obvious to most, finally obvious to them as well. That the DB's we had were simply just not very good and extremely limited in what they could do.

They seem to made almost no effort to resign any of them, which tells me the thought process since the playoff loss was to rebuild the secondary. And it appears they picked a good year to do it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

Between taking Scandrick in the fifth round of the 2008 draft and Brown in the sixth round last year, the Cowboys have drafted seven cornerbacks and none made a large impact: DeAngelo Smith (fifth round, 2009), Mike Mickens (seventh round, 2009), Jamar Wall (sixth round, 2010), Josh Thomas (fifth round, 2011), Claiborne, B.W. Webb (fourth round, 2013) and Terrance Mitchell (seventh round, 2014).

Since 2008 what has the pass rush looked like? That will tell you exactly why their CB's have sucked so bad.

Reaction score
Since 2008 what has the pass rush looked like? That will tell you exactly why their CB's have sucked so bad.

None of the cornerbacks have been worth a shit after getting cut from us either, so it isn't solely on the pass rush. Additionally, for a few of those years we had decent pass rushes.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

It hasnt been bad all those years. It was actually pretty strong in 2009 and 2010, and Ware had a couple of huge years even after Wade was canned.

But the DB play other than 1 or 2 seasons since then HAS been bad.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
we're about to disprove the notion that you don't draft for need

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
we're about to disprove the notion that you don't draft for need

If one of those two offensive linemen are still on the board at 28 and they take a lesser player just because they play DE you will be absolutely right. We need DE's but that Wisconsin guy is better than pretty much any DE that will be available at 28.

Reaction score
Last time we were CB or bust in a draft, we took three corners out of 5 total draft picks.

2000.... Dewayne Goodrich, Kareem Larrimore, Mario Edwards.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last time we were CB or bust in a draft, we took three corners out of 5 total draft picks.

2000.... Dewayne Goodrich, Kareem Larrimore, Mario Edwards.

Picked a guy in 2nd that shouldn't have been drafted, a guy in 4th who had no work ethic of discipline and a guy in 6th who ended up being a decent player.

None of those 3 guys are anywhere near the talents that this draft seems to have though. I think the odds are good we'll land some quality DB's this time.

Reaction score
Picked a guy in 2nd that shouldn't have been drafted,

Wrong about Goodrich. He had a pick 6 in the NC Championship game against Florida State and held Peter Warrick in check. He had a very good college career and had the talent to be a good player. His failing in this league was the result of him partying all the time. I want to say it was Pearlmans book Boys will be Boys where some vets were quoted as saying Goodrich immediately was drawn to the Dallas nightlife and would party all the time, and none of the coaches held him accountable. He didn't display any of that in college.

Reaction score
I have to take this time to have a Zone rant. In the threads about the suckasses in the secondary being allowed to walk, we have more than a few fucking idiots running with the "you all wanted Carr and Caliborne gone the last few years, now you are all complaining that they are gone. You guys are idiots," nonsense.

Let me spell it out here for the Zone lurkers since I am banned at the Zone; the people who wanted these stiffs gone are celebrating. The ones complaining are the homer brigade for whom every player wearing a star is an all pro, and the FO can make no mistakes. I don't see why this is hard to understand for the midwits. There is no inconsistency.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think the Green Bay playoff losses in 2 of the last 3 years finally made what was obvious to most, finally obvious to them as well. That the DB's we had were simply just not very good and extremely limited in what they could do.

They seem to made almost no effort to resign any of them, which tells me the thought process since the playoff loss was to rebuild the secondary. And it appears they picked a good year to do it.
Meanwhile the real reason we lost the GB playoff game last season had little to do with the Legion of Boobs, and everything to do with the idiot HC telling Dak to spike the ball - giving a reeling GB a free timeout and then all the time it needed to get into FG range for the win.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I have to take this time to have a Zone rant. In the threads about the suckasses in the secondary being allowed to walk, we have more than a few fucking idiots running with the "you all wanted Carr and Caliborne gone the last few years, now you are all complaining that they are gone. You guys are idiots," nonsense.

Let me spell it out here for the Zone lurkers since I am banned at the Zone; the people who wanted these stiffs gone are celebrating. The ones complaining are the homer brigade for whom every player wearing a star is an all pro, and the FO can make no mistakes. I don't see why this is hard to understand for the midwits. There is no inconsistency.

The usual suspects are over there are saying its March, all is well. They have one player on defense worth a shit (Sean Lee on the occasions he is healthy), the rest you wouldnt miss if they left. As far as the trash the Cowboys put at the curb and others were kind enough to pick up and over pay, I was really hoping the Jets would also take Crawford off our hands too. They have a roster to fill out while they tank the season away and dont seem particularly plugged in when it comes to assessing talent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wrong about Goodrich. He had a pick 6 in the NC Championship game against Florida State and held Peter Warrick in check. He had a very good college career and had the talent to be a good player. His failing in this league was the result of him partying all the time. I want to say it was Pearlmans book Boys will be Boys where some vets were quoted as saying Goodrich immediately was drawn to the Dallas nightlife and would party all the time, and none of the coaches held him accountable. He didn't display any of that in college.

He looked like a 1st rd pick early on at TN, but his play got progressively worse

Reaction score
He looked like a 1st rd pick early on at TN, but his play got progressively worse

I disagree with that but I digress. He was one of the most highly rated cbs in that draft and iirc kiper called him a steal where we took him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I disagree with that but I digress. He was one of the most highly rated cbs in that draft and iirc kiper called him a steal where we took him.

I'll go back and check it out, still have most of my old guides.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Love what Zeke brings to the offense but Jalen Ramsey woulda been nice to have right about now.

Top Bottom