dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Charles Tapper recently joined ESPN radio's "J Dub City" with Jean-Jacques Taylor and Will Chambers to talk all things football. Here are some highlights of their interview:

How's the back injury?

Will Chambers: We saw last year and heard about the back issue. Just wondering 1) what happened there? And [2)], how are you now? Where are we at with the injury?

Charles Tapper: I have a birth defect, it's called 'L5 pars defect.' ... Me not being in the best shape coming to the Cowboys was what happened to me. Coming from OU I was sitting about 275-280 [pounds]. So coming here I was about 280, 275 trying to play a five-technique. As we all know [Rod] Marinelli, he didn't like that. So he was running and running me. It's kinda more of a fatigue injury I would say than injury of any sorts. Right now I'm feeling better than I ever felt in my life condition-wise, core-wise, strength, flexibility and everything.

What can he do for Dallas?

Will Chambers: Tell us what you believe you can do for this team. We know when we look at the Cowboys that they need help getting after the quarterback. What can you do for this team and that need coming up next year?

Charles Tapper: Exactly what you said: get after the quarterback. Marinelli has given us a lot of keys and tools to rush this quarterback. There's a lot of things that I wish I knew in college. Playing for the Cowboys they give me the freedom at the five-technique to kind of just rush the passer and have fun doing it. So I'm just having fun rushing the passer where OU was like kind of a two-gap. I just took up blocks there. Now it's be a athlete, have fun and win some one-on-ones. It's kind of like one-on-one basketball and that's what I'm used to.

Biggest strength?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: What do you think your strength is as a pass rusher?

Charles Tapper: My speed. And I have big powerful hands. When I use that speed and get those powerful hands on some offensive linemen it kinda throws them off because somebody that strong shouldn't be able to move that fast. Or somebody that fast shouldn't have that much power or pop to 'em. It's kind of the combination of speed and power.

Why patience is key

Will Chambers: What have you learned from what has happened to you in this past year missing the season [with] the injury and coming back?

Charles Tapper: Patience. I learned so much patience. Patience, I feel like, is the key to life. If you can learn how to be patient and understand that God has everything planned for you it makes life and football easier. On the field you're going to be thrown a lot of different obstacles and different challenges on the field. You just have to be patient, think about it and then react. ...

This offseason, I call it my offseason, I've been working so hard. During the season it was like a mini-offseason for me and Jaylon [Smith]. ... I can't wait to get on the field and see how I look now.

Reaction score
Yeah man. Thanks dbair. This guy is just too freakish to overlook and not expect some impact plays.

Charles in Charge!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Let hope he can contribute something (anything) this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah he absolutely killed it at the combine last year.

A lot of good video clips on him showing some exceptional athletic ability at OU, we need that up front in worst way.

I read another story tonight on him that said he actually did undergo surgery last yr to correct this, so hopefully he's 100% for training camp and can be a contributor this year.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think he will have a huge impact. McShay likes the power 5 guys and I think this guy will be a step up over Dlaw and Ty Crawford.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The vision to draft Collins was enough for me to believe. They selected a guy understanding his stats didn't necessarily reflect what he could do in a different system. Hopefully the same follows for Tapper.

Some college system can hinder a guy statistically

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not counting on a thing from him. Back problems are death for pro athletes,particularly linemen.

Reaction score
How can you not believe in "J Dub City" starring JJT...

JJT seems like homeless crackhead radio personality from the Howard Stern Show. Just seems like he ignores that most words have end-consonants that require pronunciation (eg says "Zeeh" instead of Zeke and "Daah" instead of Dak). But that not even the issue, he makes up metaphors and cliches that make him sound drunk or just plain stupid. He says things like "that's the kind boat that my coin don't float in" or "face value to me is when you are who you are and I can see beyond that to what you really are" or "...but as much as we already both sides of it, on the other side of the coin..."(which gives a coin three sides and he wasn't referring to the edge).

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JJT seems like homeless crackhead radio personality from the Howard Stern Show. Just seems like he ignores that most words have end-consonants that require pronunciation (eg says "Zeeh" instead of Zeke and "Daah" instead of Dak). But that not even the issue, he makes up metaphors and cliches that make him sound drunk or just plain stupid. He says things like "that's the kind boat that my coin don't float in" or "face value to me is when you are who you are and I can see beyond that to what you really are" or "...but as much as we already both sides of it, on the other side of the coin..."(which gives a coin three sides and he wasn't referring to the edge).

my favorite

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the only thing I gleaned is that he showed up out of shape, which puts him on my shit list

Top Bottom