Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys offensive tackle Doug Free considering retirement, according to a report.

Cowboys insider Mike Fisher said Wednesday morning on 105.3 The Fan that sources told him at the Cowboys 25 Party Friday that Free was weighing his options.

Source tells me #Cowboys RT Doug Free is considering retirement. Full scoop coming to @1053thefan
— mike fisher ✭ (@fishsports) March 1, 2017​

The 33-year-old Free has started 114 games during his 10 year career in Dallas, mostly at right tackle.

Free is in the second year of a three-year $15 million deal with the Cowboys. He's scheduled to make $7.5 million in 2017. If he retires, he'll count $2.5 million against the cap.

The Cowboys drafted Free in the fourth round of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Northern Illinois.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont mind him as swing tackle for vet minimum. I dont want him as starter at RT, getting starter money. Doubt he wants any part of that. Leary will leave so you will have new starters at two spots on the O Line. Collins at LG at unknown at RT. I dont trust Chaz Green to stay healthy, maybe Cleary, he was OK in spot duty.

Reaction score
I think he stays. From all accounts, he's like a father figure or whatever to all the young pups on the line. The whole unit really enjoys playing together and what they do. I think he decides to stick around another year.

But then again, he has played under Garrett going on 11 years now so that shit has to be getting really fucking old. Yeah maybe he does retire.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont mind him as swing tackle for vet minimum. I dont want him as starter at RT, getting starter money. Doubt he wants any part of that. Leary will leave so you will have new starters at two spots on the O Line. Collins at LG at unknown at RT. I dont trust Chaz Green to stay healthy, maybe Cleary, he was OK in spot duty.

Collins really isn't a new starter, he's started games here.

Green staying healthy would be ideal, would be huge upgrade over Free, especially in terms of pass protection.

Wont be surprised if we spend a middle round pick on another RT/LT though.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Welp Stephen Jones said his next priority is signing Zack Martin. Followed by the comment that they have a lot invested in the O Line and cant pay everybody, so reading between the lines Leary is definitely gone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Welp Stephen Jones said his next priority is signing Zack Martin. Followed by the comment that they have a lot invested in the O Line and cant pay everybody, so reading between the lines Leary is definitely gone.

Didn't really require reading between any lines, we all knew he was pretty much gone. He's gonna cash in bigtime.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Didn't really require reading between any lines, we all knew he was pretty much gone. He's gonna cash in bigtime.

Just look to the contract Jacksonville gave our former swing tackle. Some bad club with a bunch of cap is going to throw big time money at him.

Reaction score
Just look to the contract Jacksonville gave our former swing tackle. Some bad club with a bunch of cap is going to throw big time money at him.

Not only that but KC just gave some guard I've never even heard of a 5 year 40+ mil deal. Leary is gone for sure.

Another Cowboys UDFA success story. Hope his knee holds up for whomever signs him.

Reaction score
Garrett says he has not heard anything about this and doesn't anticipate it happening.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I think everyone pretty much knew Leary is gone. Last I heard the Cowboys should get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018 for losing Leary.

Reaction score
I think everyone pretty much knew Leary is gone. Last I heard the Cowboys should get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018 for losing Leary.

That'll depend on what kind of contract he signs and who we sign in FA and what kind of contract we give them.

Reaction score
Cowboys expect Doug Free back at right tackle this season

By Charean Williams
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

INDIANAPOLIS — Owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett said they expect Doug Free to return to the Cowboys this season.

A report last week said the right tackle was considering retirement.

“I do not know of any talk of retirement in regards to Doug Free,” Garrett said. “We had a good visit after the season. He, like all the players, they wanted to get away for a little while, then get themselves recharged and come back to work. I don’t anticipate anything other than that.”

Free, 33, enters the final year of his contract, which will pay him a $5 million base salary and count $7.5 million against the cap.

He has started all 16 games in seven of the past eight seasons. Free allowed seven sacks and had three holding penalties last season, according to STATS.

Starting left guard La’el Collins began his pro career at right tackle as a rookie in the Cowboys’ offseason program while Free was rehabbing from offseason surgery. Collins spent his final two seasons at LSU as the starting left tackle after beginning his career at left guard.

Collins spent most of last season on injured reserve after undergoing surgery on his right big toe. Ron Leary played well in his absence, but the Cowboys expect to lose Leary in free agency.

“We’ve visited about [Collins playing right tackle],” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

“…”Our projection is Doug is going to come back, and he’s our starting right tackle. Obviously, if we don’t get Leary re-signed, which will be difficult, then we see La’el as our starting guard.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that's too bad.

I wouldnt mind him being the 3rd OT on gamedays, but I really hope someone else is the starter at RT on opening day. Whether its Chaz Green or another draft pick.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Exhibit A as to why we'll never win big. Any other competent team would be buying this guy a one-way ticket out of town, but not Dallas. Here's how Jerry thinks: Church? Good enough. Carr? Good enough. Free? Good enough. Do I really need to re-post the footage from the Philly game? Get ready for more blindside strip sacks, Dak.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ya, and we're paying him what? $5 million+ for 2017?

awesome.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So Chaz will obviously get the first chance to replace Free but they have to at least give Collins a chance too. I know Jerry does not want Collins at tackle though. I think that has more to do with the fact he doesn't want to pay Collins as a tackle though.

Top Bottom