dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys a potential option for Adrian Peterson, DeMarcus Ware

10:26 AM ET
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

When Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was asked last month to name teams he would consider joining to finish his career if he leaves Minnesota, he mentioned the Texans, Buccaneers and Giants.

But there is a belief in league circles that the Dallas Cowboys could also be in play for the potential free agent, according to league sources.

One league source said that if the Vikings and Peterson could not agree on a restructured contract, the Cowboys could be an option.

Linebacker DeMarcus Ware also is leaving the door open to play next season in Dallas, where he spent the first nine seasons of his standout career.

Ware, 34, still feels strongly about the Broncos, but Dallas also holds a special place for him. Ware still owns a home in the Dallas area, his two children live there, and it would be a full-circle way to finish a career that has seen Ware voted to nine Pro Bowls and rack up 138.5 sacks.

Ware underwent back surgery a month ago and said Friday he feels "like a new man" and "definitely" wants to return to the field next season.

For Peterson, this is not the first time he has been linked to the Cowboys. In an August 2014 profile on Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, ESPN reported that Peterson professed an interest in playing for his team, and the interest was mutual.

Peterson, 31, a seven-time Pro Bowler and the league's MVP in 2012, has spent 10 years with the Vikings. The Vikings have a team option on the running back for 2017 that includes an $11.75 million base salary and $6 million roster bonus. They have to decide on Peterson's 2017 option by the start of the league year (March 9) and would owe him the $6 million roster bonus if he was on the team by the third day of the league year.

A restructured deal would need to be completed sometime before the new league year begins.

The Cowboys already have running back Ezekiel Elliott, who finished runner-up to teammate Dak Prescott as The Associated Press' Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Elliott, a first-team All-Pro, set team rookie records in rushing yards (1,631) and touchdowns (16) in helping the Cowboys post the best record in the NFC (13-3) in 2016.

Reaction score
Why would any top RB come here when it's clear that Ginger will freak out and call only pass plays the moment he can.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry has always had a wrinkled semi hard on for Peterson, so that could happen. I dont think Ware is coming here and he has a bad back so why bother. We are already full up on those.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Why would any top RB come here when it's clear that Ginger will freak out and call only pass plays the moment he can.

Not to mention we already have the great Lance Dunbar.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not to mention we already have the great Lance Dunbar.

Dunbar is a free agent.

I cant imagine how we can stave off all the interest he is going to get around the league.

Reaction score
In the shadows, Hostile is starting a thread letting his minions know that he's still about 80% sure Peterson comes here.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
In the shadows, Hostile is starting a thread letting his minions know that he's still about 80% sure Peterson comes here.

Its all over the internet that Jerry is a closet Peterson fan boy, but I am sure Hostile gleamed this info from his "reliable insider."

Reaction score
I think these dolts ranging from those who voted Garrett as COY to these type comments about RBs added to an offense where the leagues leading RB is taken out of games replaced with a senseless and vulnerable pass play bc of "the mismatch we liked there". These idiots do not seem to understand the team history with this coach nor what it means to coach a team.

So if Garrrett got COY for doing nothing and leading the team to a worthless 13-3 record then shouldn't last year be almost exclusively blamed on him too?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Peterson seems like overkill.

Ware makes sense if we are basically bringing back the whole (non-pass rushing) DL gang. He can reduce the injury risk by being the designated pass-rusher, like Dwight Freeney the last few years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
AP would not come here and be a #2 behind Zeke

Period

As far as Ware coming back I'd be happy with that

We can add him to the rest of our brokeback lineman

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Peterson seems like overkill.

Ware makes sense if we are basically bringing back the whole (non-pass rushing) DL gang. He can reduce the injury risk by being the designated pass-rusher, like Dwight Freeney the last few years.

Unless they (front office) are privately worried that the league is going to do something to Zeke over this utter b/s with that dumb bitch, I don't get why we'd have any interest in Peterson or anyone like him.

Ware I wont throw a shit-fit about if we bring back, but he cant be the ONLY answer as pass rusher. He could be part of a rotation and mainly play 3rd downs or something. But he's 34, coming off a back surgery and a season where he didn't do a whole lot.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
AP would not come here and be a #2 behind Zeke

The Vikes OL was bad last yr, but Peterson looked washed up when he was on the field. Like Mid said, I'm not sure what Peterson really has left.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The Vikes OL was bad last yr, but Peterson looked washed up when he was on the field. Like Mid said, I'm not sure what Peterson really has left.

I remember him talking smack about catching Emmitt. he'd be lucky to pass Frank Gore at this point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The other problem I have with Peterson is he gives you nothing as a receiver. He also doesn't play special teams.

And he's always had a little problem with fumbles.

Just doesn't seem like an overly good get for us.

Top Bottom