Reaction score
By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones quipped that it is much easier for him this offseason to be pleased that the front office and coaching staffs will stay intact for the most part.

Jones and the organization didn’t make any major changes after a 4-12 season in 2015, and have been fortunate that several of their key members haven’t been poached by other NFL teams this off-season after a 13-3 season.

On Monday, with the Super Bowl over, NFL teams will turn their attention to free agency, the NFL draft and any staff changes.

“I was proud of them last year when we won four games and we kept it together, and so I am proud now that it’s easier to be proud of them with winning 13 games as it was with four,” Jones said. “I’m glad to see them together more than I was at this time last year.”

The Cowboys handed coach Jason Garrett a five-year, $30 million contract after the 2014 season, which means he is signed through the 2019 season.

That off-season they also rewarded offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli with three-year contracts, which means each will be going into their final contract year in 2017.

Jones wouldn’t name specific assistants who had expiring contracts, but the goal is to keep the coaching staff together as much as possible.

As executive vice president Stephen Jones said, “Continuity, to me, is a big thing. The way we’ve managed our team over the last seven, eight years, we put a lot of premium on that. With Jason being here and his longevity here with the organization, I think all of that is really important.

“At the same time, I think we’ve got one of the best staffs in the league. Obviously, can’t get into what other teams think about our guys, you’d have to ask them, but obviously we like to keep our guys. But we also want what’s best for everybody. I don’t hope for guys not to have opportunities, at the same time obviously if it doesn’t happen, we’re always thrilled to keep our coaches and our personnel people.”

On the front office side, the Cowboys are happy that they’ll retain Will McClay, the senior director of college and pro personnel.

Stephen Jones said teams have been interested in McClay, but that McClay is “happy” with the Cowboys.

McClay, 50, is the highest-ranking front office man not named Jones. He has run the Cowboys draft the past three seasons, building what has become a solid foundation for the future.

McClay has drafted starters such as right guard Zack Martin (2014), safety Byron Jones (2015), running back Ezekiel Elliott (2016) and quarterback Dak Prescott (2016).

He’s also found gems in the later rounds, including tight end Geoff Swaim (2015, seventh round), linebacker Anthony Hitchens (2014, fourth round), Prescott (2016, fourth round) and cornerback Anthony Brown (2016, sixth round).

“I don’t want to comment on that other than that Will is happy here,” Stephen Jones said. “There’s people who have been interested in him, I think that’s a fair way to characterize it, because there have been.”

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Will McClay and his staff are definitely the most important part of the staff. From my understanding he won't even interview with other teams much less look to leave. Once Jerry is gone I would not be surprised if Stephen made McClay the GM.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
His day-to-day duties and responsibilities are pretty consistent with what NFL GM's do. He's basically the GM now, Jerry just insists on having the title.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
His day-to-day duties and responsibilities are pretty consistent with what NFL GM's do. He's basically the GM now, Jerry just insists on having the title.

I know. Annoying isnt it? Kind of like him insisting on breathing.

Reaction score
Keeping this coaching staff ensures Jerry will never win another Super Bowl before he dies.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ehhh.. Jason Garrett needs hand holders. We have those.

The talent on this team surpasses the coaching.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a gameday-proven coach. I just think there is enough in place to win, assuming we improve the defense.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is there a doubt in anybodies mind that Belichek wins it all with current roster? I bet Pete Carroll and Andy Reid would too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

He doesn't hire the coaches, though.

And even then, I'd say Stephen is more the GM. He manages the contracts, etc.

Even on draft decisions, Jerry never said Will talked him out of Manziel -- Stephen did.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He doesn't hire the coaches, though.
A lot of GM's don't hire coaches.

And even then, I'd say Stephen is more the GM. He manages the contracts, etc.
Again, some team's have GM's that handle contracts and other teams have specialized people who handle contracts. The GM is usually the guy with final say in either situation.

Even on draft decisions, Jerry never said Will talked him out of Manziel -- Stephen did.
True, but I also think Jerry has a round each year, probably 3rd or 4th, where he isn't as familiar with the prospects,so he taps out and defaults to McClay. Don't get me wrong, Jerry is a menace, but he probably does about 20% of the things a GM has to do, especially with the day-to-day stuff.

Reaction score
Where were those hand holders when we went into the Packers game with a gameplan that played right into Green Bay's hands?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Where were those hand holders when we went into the Packers game with a gameplan that played right into Green Bay's hands?

Gameplan wise I think Garrett mishandled the spike late in the game. Other than that, players didn't execute. Dak missed some throws, Brice Butler dropped an easy catch, and the defense sucked.

Marinelli not figuring out that Rodgers will snap the ball during substitutions was JV level though.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

“I was proud of them last year when we won four games and we kept it together,

When Jerry says stuff like this its just a reminder that nothing will change until a new thread celebrating his departure from this earth is started.

This team has underachieved every year under Garrett. Even the 12-4 and 13-3 seasons it underachieved. Yet Jerry is proud whether its 4 wins or 13.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yep.

Sure seems like the "wink wink" deal mist be in place there. Guy is totally qualified to be running a franchise somewhere.

He may not have the official title here, but it sure seems like he has the responsibility and I'm sure he's getting well paid. Probably earned himself a raise I suspect after this past season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gameplan wise I think Garrett mishandled the spike late in the game. Other than that, players didn't execute. Dak missed some throws, Brice Butler dropped an easy catch, and the defense sucked.

Marinelli not figuring out that Rodgers will snap the ball during substitutions was JV level though.

Yep.

That's why I kinda contend with an influx of defensive talent and speed this offseason that they can win a championship in spite of Garrett.

We all expected a defensive collapse, unfortunately it happened at the worst possible time. Although there were hints of it in that Detroit game, when they also scored TD's the first three times they had the ball.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
H

McClay was totally against Manziel though, Jerry said as much.

Of course it sounds like everyone int he room was totally against Manziel. Which kinda reflects on how stupid Jerry really is.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ginger actually thanked McClay in his acceptance speech last night for building the roster. Doesnt exactly sound like Jerry burns the midnight oil watching film to do player evaluations does it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
McClay was totally against Manziel though, Jerry said as much.

Of course it sounds like everyone int he room was totally against Manziel. Which kinda reflects on how stupid Jerry really is.

Yea, Stephen was the only one in the room that's comfortable enough to tell Jerry no he can't have his shiny new toy. No one in that room except Jerry wanted Johnny Numbnuts.

Reaction score
Yep.

That's why I kinda contend with an influx of defensive talent and speed this offseason that they can win a championship in spite of Garrett.

We all expected a defensive collapse, unfortunately it happened at the worst possible time. Although there were hints of it in that Detroit game, when they also scored TD's the first three times they had the ball.

My issue with the Dak throws and the Butler drop is: why were they trying to be something that they are not. Run the ball, short pass, QB scrambles were what was working to get first downs. Running the ball with Zeke and using high percentage passes keeps possession. The passing game that Garrett was trying just seemed a lot of "let's see if this works and if not we can try the other stuff later". It was like the massive errors of that 2014 playoff game were not acknowledged or corrected.

Top Bottom