TheBlackJellyBean

Spectator
Reaction score
McClay can draft but his or whoever's FA is the worst in the NFL ...

We need and impact FA or 3 BIGTIME

Cedric Thornton?

And lemme tell ya, we are horrible evaluators of our own talent - Crawford? 32 mill on Scandrick - and 50 mill on Carr , letting D Ware walk

Disgusting

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I believe the days of handing contracts like Care's are over. Stephen seems like he prefers to get his stars through the draft instead of paying other teams free agents.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We've gotten cheap and cute. Mayowa was a back-up's back-up in Oakland.

Free agency has become a 4 letter word for Cowboys fans (and apparently the Front Office) because apparently they are powerless to stop themselves from overspending.

Great teams identify free agents that can improve their team and try to sign them. If the bidding gets too high, bow out and target the next guy on your list. It is not this either/or scenario that our fan base believes it is.

They need to take the Mark Cuban approach by one, not being afraid to spend money on talent AND two, more importantly, sell the overall experience. I hate that big stupid stadium and don't know what to think of "The Star" but people dig that stuff. They also dig marketing and merchandise potential. How about the fact that there is no state income tax in Texas? Sell, sell, sell and be ready to buy when the right situation occurs.

This team is ready to contend. We can't be fiscally conservative right now. Be smart, identify opportunities to improve, and then put on a recruitment presentation that would make Jesus Shuttlesworth blush.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We've gotten cheap and cute. Mayowa was a back-up's back-up in Oakland.

Free agency has become a 4 letter word for Cowboys fans (and apparently the Front Office) because apparently they are powerless to stop themselves from overspending.

Great teams identify free agents that can improve their team and try to sign them. If the bidding gets too high, bow out and target the next guy on your list. It is not this either/or scenario that our fan base believes it is.

They need to take the Mark Cuban approach by one, not being afraid to spend money on talent AND two, more importantly, sell the overall experience. I hate that big stupid stadium and don't know what to think of "The Star" but people dig that stuff. They also dig marketing and merchandise potential. How about the fact that there is no state income tax in Texas? Sell, sell, sell and be ready to buy when the right situation occurs.

This team is ready to contend. We can't be fiscally conservative right now. Be smart, identify opportunities to improve, and then put on a recruitment presentation that would make Jesus Shuttlesworth blush.

That hasn't exactly worked out for Cuban.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That hasn't exactly worked out for Cuban.

Yeah, I meant in regards to free agency. He was ahead of everyone with specialized locker rooms, facilities, etc. The DeAndre Jordan thing was a weird situation where the Clipper players basically held Jordan hostage and guilted him into staying.

As far as trades and drafting, Cuban needs some help.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant in regards to free agency. He was ahead of everyone with specialized locker rooms, facilities, etc. The DeAndre Jordan thing was a weird situation where the Clipper players basically held Jordan hostage and guilted him into staying.

As far as trades and drafting, Cuban needs some help.

Cuban and Jerry are in two total different positions. Cuban and every other Mavs owner before him has struggled to get elite FA's to come to Dallas. Jerry on the other hand could have almost any FA he wanted.

As a long time Mavs fan I actually wish Cuban would t go so hard after the top FA year after year. So I really have zero problem with Stephen wanting to build through the draft. As long as they continue to do it right.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cuban and Jerry are in two total different positions.

Yeah, Cuban has actually won something this century and doesnt sound like a blithering idiot the second somebody shoves a mic in face.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, Cuban has actually won something this century and doesnt sound like a blithering idiot the second somebody shoves a mic in face.

You're right he is better when talking to the media. But he's also turned his back on the draft and look where the team is at. Old and shitty. The Cowboys have focused more on the draft and now have some very exciting youngsters on their team. The future is bright with the Cowboys. Can't say that about the Mavs right now.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You're right he is better when talking to the media. But he's also turned his back on the draft and look where the team is at. Old and shitty.

NBA draft is a whole different animal. If you arent drafting in top 3, odds are you are getting a project who is as likely to be a JAG as they area productive starter.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
NBA draft is a whole different animal. If you arent drafting in top 3, odds are you are getting a project who is as likely to be a JAG as they area productive starter.

True but Cuban sold their 1st pick in 2013 to save about $900K in cap space to make a run at Dwight Howard. Donnie is on record saying they wanted Giannis Antetokounmpo in draft but Cuban told them no, he wanted the cap space. He basically passed on Dak to make a run at Tony Romo.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dont worry Stephen Jones came out today and said he wants to re-sign most of the same stiffs we all want to move on from. Both WRs and the three DBs. What a fuckin joke.
"Continuity."

Meanwhile after three years straight of 8-8, we're still averaging .500 ball. Yes, the 12-4 and 13-3 are aberrations.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, Cuban is an absolutely horrible GM. Other than keeping himself in Dirk's good graces and hiring Rick Carlisle, he's been as bad as Jerry.

Anyway, I firmly believe Stephen thinks he's a genius drafter and they don't need to ever sign FAs, other than cheap fliers and fillers. I guess lately they have been good drafters, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever. The Patriots are the best in the business, and Belichick has always selectively signed productive FAs, even some very old ones.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Anyway, I firmly believe Stephen thinks he's a genius drafter and they don't need to ever sign FAs, other than cheap fliers and fillers. I

I think when it comes to FA he is believer in "the devil you know" theory which leads to mediocrity. If thats the case I'd rather just load up on secondary and draft a WR because at least you get what you pay for. Bringing back non difference makers doesnt make any sense to me. As for the draft up til last year all they hit on were number ones. There is a good chance next seasons roster wont have one player from the 2012 draft on it.

Reaction score
Dallas sports is cursed by atrocious GMs unfortunately. Cuban has been even worse than Jerry in fact. He didn't even draft Dirk and he hasn't found a consistent all star in 15 years. Even the shittiest teams in the league have lucked into 1 good player. Cuban has gone out of his way to avoid accidentally drafting or signing anyone with potential.

Jerry's problem is that Jimmy bent him over and fucked him so hard on his way out, that he will never allow a real head coach here again. This team with a real coach could probably surpass the 90s dynasty. Instead, it'll fall apart at some point with only a couple division titles and pro bowl nominations as our souvenirs.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
FA is how you get in trouble. Talented teams build from the draft with a sprinkling of FA. The Pats rarely sign anyone in FA. We are behind the 8 ball because of the old contracts... especially Romo's. You can't sign FA without money. We got in this pickle, by extending huge contracts. DWare did not git a 4/3 anymore and his play declined both because of it and because of injuries he was let go. It was one of the shining examples of the team putting the team first and it should be how it goes from now on. Once Romo and Carr are gone and Scandrick all these expensive contracts will be gone and we will have money to spend again on the upcoming contracts.

Reaction score
Dont worry Stephen Jones came out today and said he wants to re-sign most of the same stiffs we all want to move on from. Both WRs and the three DBs. What a fuckin joke.

Drew Davison on Twitter: "Stephen Jones also says he'd like to re-sign WRs Terrance Williams and Brice Butler, and free agent DBs (Carr, Claiborne, Church, Wilcox)."

If we keep these same players, we deserve what we get next year.

If it were up to me, I'd shit can them all. A little turnover is needed at those positions.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If we keep these same players, we deserve what we get next year.

If it were up to me, I'd shit can them all. A little turnover is needed at those positions.

And yet the fan boys at the Zone will tell you Stephen is key to the turn around. Statements like this tell me he still doesnt know his ass from his elbow.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think we are reading too much into his statement. He is keeping his PR on point by saying he wants to sign those players. You just don't flat out put yourself out of contention for those players.

A couple of things to keep in mind. We dont know if the other free agent option will actually sign. So why alienate one of our own whom we may have to sign back due to other free agent plans not falling in place.

The other thing to keep in mind is not putting ourselves financially at a disadvantage for other free agents. If I'm a free agent from another team and I hear they are no plans to sign their own free agents, I'm going to play a hard money game

Top Bottom