Reaction score
I think in the first few years of limited success, Garrett was inspired by "his system" (which is really just a theory of pass routes and playcalling that is triggered by the defenses reactions).

But then when the NFL used this newfangled device called game film and the Garrett system did not adapt to defense's
knowing his playbook as well as his offense , the inspired offense turned into something that needed propaganda and excuses to continue to use despite many coaches and players observing that Dallas does the same thing over and over.

For example, most offenses will use their own successes and momentum and stack successful play after play to keep defenses on their heels. Striking while hot. Garrett's pass system continues to be dictated by what the defense gives them (which means what the defense does). So if Zeke runs for 29 yards, the true Coryell scheme would call for another running play or a pas play based on the threat of another 29 yard run. Garrett empties the backfield because the defense is bracing not to allow another run and sends personnel to crowd the line. But the major flaw is the WR routes and adjustments are not integrated like WCO and they are all well documented from basically 1974 when this scheme was first introduced. It's a passing system however Coryell insisted that a power running game needed to be in place in order the make it work. The threat of the power running game forces the defense in and opens the coverage downfield. Coryell saw that you cannot have the passing system without the running game setting it free.

So when Garrett states that the team has to have balance, it really defies the logic and the effectiveness of the scheme. Or in the first few years when criticized about not running, Garrett has said "you pass downfield to open the run lanes underneath" which implies that he is "building" toward the running game (obviously a clever alibi trope like "process", "building" and "execute" to escape from responsibility.) Garrett also said going into the 2013 and 2014 years (where his offensive input was said to be reduced) that "the running game is the first line".

Well, which is it?

It's none. He only knows the Coryell pass theory and coverages. But over time as his WRs fail to have the required speed to make the scheme work and the pounding that his QBs are taking, his view on his scheme was to allow more running, and then short passing.

Garrett went from being enthusiastic about his scheme in 2007-2009, to being accusative that his scheme needs better execution by the players from 2010-2013, to being just defensive that from 2014- present, although the running game and series management are both causing points, red zone success, wins and safety to the QBs, he will not change his scheme. Linehan and Callahan both said "this is still Jason's system", despite that Callahan's zone blocking is not a Coryell cornerstone (power man blocking is) and Linehan's quick passes setting up distance (a WCO staple) are both correlated with Dallas's recent success especially in the red zone.

So when Dallas is failing, it's usually during those vestigial plays that Garrett refuses to get rid of. Because at the moment that the team is succeeding with conventional offensive attacking and strategy and logical personnel (not based on Garrett family values), the league will see that he has been failing the team and keeping them from winning for years.

Because what if....

...Dez is used for his mutant catch radius within the first ten yards where he can't be covered?
...Beasley expands the flats and the seams within off the LOS to be open "all the time" as Dak said?
...Zeke who is faster, stronger and better at blocking, catching and running after the catch is kept in instead of Dunbar?
...All around hard working family favorite and good guy, TWilly is replaced with a true speed WR with a complete catch radius (not just lower hemisphere effectiveness)?
...all top 4 WRs can make all catches and run all routes?
...the running game is so successful that there are games with less than 10 passes because they are winning?
....the QB just needs to keep running for first downs and red zone gains?
....the plays build on each other?
...RKGs Church, T-Crawford, and Wilber etc, were replaced with athletes who achieve what they are supposed to be doing rather than needing to be defended by obscure statistics like "Crawford is number 1 in the league in causing second downs when the teams QB has had shingles the week before" and "Church is second in the league in pass break ups during running plays and kick-offs".

The inevitable success would show that the Garrett insistence on his way, his scheme and his passive Garrett family summer camp coaching techniques were preventing the team from winning all those years.

And I think he knows it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The inevitable success would show that the Garrett insistence on his way, his scheme and his passive Garrett family summer camp coaching techniques were preventing the team from winning all those years.

And I think he knows it.
You think he really knows it?

I dunno. Early on I thought he was extremely arrogant... so I don't think he did know it then. But maybe he does now. Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't spew his constant "we fought hard", "we showed our character", "team we can be proud of" mantras because he knows that's about all he can sell. He can't sell coaching the team to its potential.

, the league will see that he has been failing the team and keeping them from winning for years.
Oh I guarantee they all know that. No doubt in my mind coaches around the league know he's there because he's Jerry's pet, not because he's a good coach. Too many would kill to have the personnel we've had, especially at OL and QB. (And TE, and WR, and RB.)

We just have to hope we can draft on defense like we have on offense and stay healthy, because we'll need overwhelming talent to win. At least we did hit the lottery on Dak.

Reaction score
You think he really knows it?

I dunno. Early on I thought he was extremely arrogant... so I don't think he did know it then. But maybe he does now. Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't spew his constant "we fought hard", "we showed our character", "team we can be proud of" mantras because he knows that's about all he can sell. He can't sell coaching the team to its potential.

Oh I guarantee they all know that. No doubt in my mind coaches around the league know he's there because he's Jerry's pet, not because he's a good coach. Too many would kill to have the personnel we've had, especially at OL and QB. (And TE, and WR, and RB.)

We just have to hope we can draft on defense like we have on offense and stay healthy, because we'll need overwhelming talent to win. At least we did hit the lottery on Dak.

I used to think he didn't know that he didn't know. In other words, he was just too naive to understand all aspects of coaching the whole team and especially adjusting during a game. Now it seems like if he backs his scheme out, that it failed, and based on what Aikman said years ago about Garrett designing plays when they were still both on the Cowboy roster ("hey 8-ball check out this play"), Garrett thinks of himself as an innovator. I think he will not stop pushing his system into games unless Jerry or Stephen completely removes him or he is fired. "Execution" as a reason for failure is not heard as much anymore. I think he knows something is wrong but he refuses to admit that his square wheel does not roll.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
...Zeke who is faster, stronger and better at blocking, catching and running after the catch is kept in instead of Dunbar?

This is the most mind boggling and obvious to all but the terminally stupid. He is easily your best weapon. He should only be off the field if the game is decided. I dont think some of the numb skulls at the Star realize what a blown opportunity this year was. How often do you have home field and not have to leave the state at all. I still dont get the Dunbar love. Zeke made his prescence completely unnecessary.

...RKGs Church, T-Crawford, and Wilber etc, were replaced with athletes who achieve what they are supposed to be doing rather than needing to be defended by obscure statistics like "Crawford is number 1 in the league in causing second downs when the teams QB has had shingles the week before" and "Church is second in the league in pass break ups during running plays and kick-offs".

Dont get me started. Something tells me Dunbar's biggest fan is the same guy that doled out the Crawford contract. Crawford makes Ratliff look productive after he went through the wanting to choke Jerry out phase.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Why is this the only place in the universe that is honest about what the Red Clown is?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Coryell saw that you cannot have the passing system without the running game setting it free.

Garrett has said "you pass downfield to open the run lanes underneath"

So basically Garrett subscribes to the Coryell system, but tries to do the opposite/reverse/unconventional of it as a means of trying to be innovative. You mentioned of how Coryell emphasizes passing between the 20's; and relies heavily on the run game in the red zone. Garrett appears to do the exact opposite, particularly in the red zone.

He quoted as stating that "if you are passing more than 40 times, then you are losing." Yet he was clearly going for and possibly beyond that number in the last Giants game. A contradiction. He definitely looks for opportunities (or even create them) to abandon the run.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
God I miss Ratliff.

Same. Another player that was misused. Imagine how effective Ratliff would have been as a 3-4 DE playing alongside a mammoth space-eating NT, instead of being the undersized NT that while dominating early in the games would get dominated later in the games by larger OLs?

But then Jerry wouldn't be the innovator that he pretends to be.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So basically Garrett subscribes to the Coryell system, but tries to do the opposite/reverse/unconventional of it as a means of trying to be innovative.

The difference of course being that Coryell actually knew what the fuck he was doing, and his offenses could be counted on to put up 40 points in a hail storm.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The difference of course being that Coryell actually knew what the fuck he was doing
We can tell that by all the Super Bowls he won, right?

The fact is "Air Coryell" never did shit except year by year, waste great talent. Just like we're seeing now. It's in the dustbin of history just like "Run and Shoot" and "The K-Gun." Let's not pretend there's anything to Garrett's idiot religion.

And it's always something, some fucking excuse just like we see with Romo - be it "need better defense" or, "need a better running game," or, "need a better offensive line." It's never the fucking system itself, that makes the QB wind up being a stove up turnover machine with no rings.

But according to Romo, Garrett's a great coach. I bet Dan Fouts thinks the same thing about Coryell. It's a fucking cult. The Coryell Cult.

It was only and ever, a fucking gadget that was entertaining. It's not championship football.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same. Another player that was misused. Imagine how effective Ratliff would have been as a 3-4 DE playing alongside a mammoth space-eating NT, instead of being the undersized NT that while dominating early in the games would get dominated later in the games by larger OLs?

But then Jerry wouldn't be the innovator that he pretends to be.
I actually meant the wanting to choke Jerry out part.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The fact is "Air Coryell" never did shit except year by year,

Coryell had no defense at SD or St L, but you could always count on his offense to put up points. The 81 Chargers probably beat Cin on any other day than the frigid ice bowl game they lost in the AFC championship. I certainly think they beat the least daunting 49er team of the decade in that SB. His front four on defense was pretty good that year but the secondary was awful. BTW SBs won isnt always the greatest indicator. Landry and Shula both lost more SB than they won, both among the greatest coaches ever. Don McCafferty undefeated in SBs, not a great coach.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
SBs won isnt always the greatest indicator.
When in context - which was the Coryell scheme - yes it is. Nobody's ever won a SB running this shit as their offensive scheme.
Coryell had no defense at SD or St L but you could always count on his offense to put up points
Yep until like every other cheap new gadget offense, the DCs in the league figure it out.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep until like every other cheap new gadget offense, the DCs in the league figure it out.

The opposing DCs never figured it out in 1981. SD scored 478 points and a half in the bag Chuck Muncie rushed for over 1100 yards and 19 TDs on the ground. I maintain the only thing that stopped that offense that year was frigid temperatures in Cincy. Neutral field an normal temperatures they beat Cincy 9/10 and SF 7/10.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Garrett is like Coryell in more ways than one. Garrett has never had a defense either.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The opposing DCs never figured it out in 1981.
Nobody said they did. But it happened soon after - typically they do this grunt type work on gadgets during the following offseason anyway.
Garrett has never had a defense either.
Hard to tell that when your offense regularly goes 1 for 13 on third down conversions, throws pick sixes, and fumbles at really bad times during games.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The opposing DCs never figured it out in 1981. SD scored 478 points and a half in the bag Chuck Muncie rushed for over 1100 yards and 19 TDs on the ground. I maintain the only thing that stopped that offense that year was frigid temperatures in Cincy. Neutral field an normal temperatures they beat Cincy 9/10 and SF 7/10.
They were also emotionally and physically spent after that OT classic in Miami.
https://youtu.be/G-uWOJHIOKk

Last edited:
Top Bottom